Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • darkside punctures…im baffled
  • teddy
    Free Member

i changed to new schwalbe ultremo’s (not sure which model) and since have had at least one puncture per ride (of max 40miles)

new tubes, same wheels, rim tape is like new and the bike has done 1500 miles with the previous tyres (hutchinsons) and only 1 flat.

I am putting 90-100 psi into them (23mm width) but looking at the last flat (yesterday) the pin prick hole is on the rim tape side of the tube, not the tyre. I have never found a thorn or sharp through the main tread of the tyre on any of the previous occasions.

am i missing something obvious? I can only think that they need more pressure than 100psi but I weigh 12 stone and ride pretty carefully avoiding any rough stuff.

any suggestions would be great 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

You’ve nailed it (sorry) already, I used to get a load of punctures on the way in to work, upped the pressure to about 130psi and not had a puncture in 2 months

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I run under 100 psi all the time and do not suffer like you. I ride my 25mm tubs at <90 through the glass strewn streets of London and have had one flat in 3 years.

Shred
    Free Member

Road Tubeless.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think Ultremos are quite thin – Ive nicked the sidewall on on one, it seemed to go far more easily than the Rubinho’s I had on before.

RickyRah
    Free Member

That sort of pressure should be fine at your weight. I’d check your rim tape for any ‘edges’ and check for any pretruding spokes. I’d also recommend cleaning the inside of the rim and the tyre and chalk the tube. Sorry if this is obvious.

I had a similar run of punctures last year and never really found the cause.

ski
    Free Member

I’d check your rim tape for any ‘edges’ and check for any pretruding spokes.

That’s what I would be double checking too

cp

Just be very careful checking NOTHING is left in either the inside of the tyre nor in the rim well.

I have some Ultremo R1’s and they are paper thin with very little puncture protection. I bought them as a race tyre and that’s all I’ll really use it for (having said that, I’ve only ever punctured once on them in several hundred miles inc. quite a lot of wet riding).

I run them between 130 & 140 psi and am 12.5 stone.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Like most Schwalbe tyres they are made of cheese.

Have you tried the conti 4000s?

teddy
    Free Member

all good points, rim tape is like new with no protruding spokes. Ill give it another check. Ive had both front and rear punctures hence the bafflement but Im going to give em one last try at 130psi and see if it happens again.

thanks all.
    🙂
    Ed

servo
    Free Member

check that there are no slits in the side of the tyre near the bead. My brake blocks were set too high so were catching the tyre just above the rim. Lots of blow outs till I realised the problem.

100 psi is fine for 23c.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Like most Schwalbe tyres they are made of cheese

Funny you should say that, but I ran Rocket Rons (the ultra thin race tyre) for over a year & never had a puncture & that included the BC Bike Race.

I find them ok..

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I run RR tyres on mountain bike too and love them.

I know a few people who have tried ultremo’s and ditched them quite soon after because of punctures. Maybe it’s the area I live in?

trail_rat
    Free Member

what is the rim ?

i inherited a set of shimano r400s ??? the more basic of the shimano completes

i cant stop them getting punctures – every time the mrs went out she would flat – id like to think i can fit tubes – i spent 10 years near as damn it in a workshop doing it.

Changed rim tape , changed tire , changed tube , checked for sharp edges all over

changed the wheels …. problem went away.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Sounds like you have some debris in between the rim and tyre, hoover it out with the brushy attachment as it may be a tiny bit of grit.

Are they feathery race tyres? Go for the pressure on the sidewall and make sure nothing is stuck in the tyre working it’s way in.

I’ve found Specialized All Condition tyres to be very resilient and my current Conti Grand Prix have been going strong for some time now (I’ve gone and done it now haven’t I!?). I’ve found Vittorio Zaffiros to be a bit fragile and can’t comment on Schwalbe road tyres.

rootes1

try Michelin Pro3 – seem quite puncture resistant but wear out quick..

on offer at Parkers.

but in your case seems to be something on the rim strip

teddy
    Free Member

worked out the cause;

old rim tape had compressed into the spoke holes exposing the slightest of sharp edges. this was then chaffing away at the tube until a hole appeared.

new rim tape. sorted.

ta everyone

IHN

old rim tape had compressed into the spoke holes exposing the slightest of sharp edges. this was then chaffing away at the tube until a hole appeared.

That was going to be my suggestion, from bitter experiemce 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Like most Schwalbe tyres they are made of cheese

Pah, Ultremo ZXs (cheap from Planet X a while ago) are the best road tyre I’ve ever used

speaker2animals

You say latest hole is on the rim tape side of the tube. Are you sure there is no swarf stuck in the tape?

If I was you I would take the tape off, check every spoke hole is nice and cleanly finished, take off any sharps you find. Apply new rim tape. Do you use the cotton stuff? Still best IMHO.

Good luck. To my mind there is either something in your tape, on the rim itself or the tyre. You can actually get a sharp that is so small it hides in the carcass and is very hard to spot by eye. When you ride though the flexing of the tyre will allow it to stick it’s head out and puncture your tube. Do a VERY careful inspction, tyre off completely and flex the tyre as you work round. Also look for cuts in the tread from the outside and make sure there isn’t a nasty little sharp hidden away in a micro slit. It’s surprising what can puncture HPs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

S2A you really need to read past the OP.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘darkside punctures…im baffled’ is closed to new replies.