Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Dark matter? what's the point?
  • richmtb

poly, oddly enough thats my current casual* read

*you know the book you have beside the loo!

proteus
    Free Member

why it’s so important that countries are spending millions trying to find/justify its existence.
    Your are IDS and I claim my £5 (from the DHSS).

More power to the thickos.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s heathy to debate what money should be spent on what research. It’s easy to say that we should research thing directly applicable to saleable technologies. But this ignores the fact that fundamental physics research has led to far greater things in the end: bar code scanners, DVD, medical scanners, microchips and all modern computing, nuclear power, the list is big.

So the experiments are very expensive to setup but that’s because the conditions to observe the phenomena are difficult to reproduce. Big telescopes and Mars rovers…

bwaarp
    Free Member

All science assumes that it is correct until proven otherwise, one of the reasons I hate Dawkins and his ‘absolutes’.

LOL

Null Hypothesis, look it up someday.

I do agree with you here, but I don’t really understand why it wasn’t scrutinised a bit more before it was published, given the impact/controversy that the paper was inevitably going to have(as for the media, why wouldn’t they pick up on a potential side effect of a new MMR jab? – what else would you expect?).

Because no one really expected the media to blow the paper way out of context.

Peer reviews don’t allow scientists to make discoveries if there is evidence suggesting otherwise. Remember the experiment that claimed to have broken the speed of light?

If it hasn’t passed a peer review then it is merely a theory, rather than a discovery.

Except in cases of publication bias when journals steer clear of publishing negative results for whatever reason.

More power to the thickos.

Most people on this planet are utter morons – as demonstrated by the majority of singletrack posters total lack of understanding for science. Personally If I ever get the chance to be blasted on a Nasa funded one way ticket to mars with a high probability of premature death, I’ll take it.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Here’s a nice quote for this thread.

We could solve much of the wrongness problem, Ioannidis says, if the world simply stopped expecting scientists to be right. That’s because being wrong in science is fine, and even necessary—as long as scientists recognize that they blew it, report their mistake openly instead of disguising it as a success, and then move on to the next thing, until they come up with the very occasional genuine breakthrough. But as long as careers remain contingent on producing a stream of research that’s dressed up to seem more right than it is, scientists will keep delivering exactly that.

“Science is a noble endeavor, but it’s also a low-yield endeavor,” he says. “I’m not sure that more than a very small percentage of medical research is ever likely to lead to major improvements in clinical outcomes and quality of life. We should be very comfortable with that fact.

The whole media attitude towards science (can we make money out of this, it’s interest in big and ridiculous claims and it’s propensity to talking about scientific research in absolutes etc etc etc) contributes to many of the problems we have in science.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think a lot of people see this, and other such theoretical physics, as being only related to “out there”, to the rest of the universe, and therefore doesn’t really affect us. However, the fact is we are part of the universe and the search for what makes up the majority of the universe is a search for what makes up the majority of us, and everything around us.

The implications of identifying, and isolating, the very essence of what makes space, and everything in it, behave the way it does is quite literally astronomic, but also potentially terrifying.

Imagine the potential impact on communications, and maybe even travel, such a discovery could have.

molgrips
    Free Member

the cost/benefit of the search for dark matter seems hard to justify.

Think of it as the cost of having really clever people do clever stuff instead of stacking shelves.

TPTcruiser

A bike made out of dark matter, truly stealth.

ahwiles
    Free Member

but very heavy…

TPTcruiser

… but powered by my dark energy bars I could cycle up any hill, if I can find them in the bottom of my rucksack!

tacopowell
    Free Member

Why?!

Do you really need any other reason?!

kimbers

can’t believe that people are ignorant enough to dissmiss theoretical physics and general science as wasteful yet would be outraged if there was no electricity in their homes no mobile phone network, smartphones, computers, bicycles made of a metal extracted by electrolysis of bauxite or that their life expectancy will increase by 20 years in their own lifetime

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Some condescending ****s on here, maybe I worded it badly but my point was that trusted and well established theories are only correct to the best of mankinds meagre knowledge and can be proven wrong when a new discovery is made, as has happened for millennia, just because our understanding of the universe is greater now does not mean this won’t continue to happen.

ahwiles
    Free Member

you worded it very badly.

richmtb

A bike made out of dark matter, truly stealth.

But you wouldn’t be able to sit on it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Has anyone said differently ?
    I think some of what we know is a fact for ever these days. We are not cavemen creating creation myths. Evolution for example but the simple fact is science.knows it does not know everything or it would just stop.
    As for hypothesis it explains one thing and a theory explains a series of interlated or class events and is far wider reaching. Evolution is a theory random mutation a hypothesis

molgrips
    Free Member

well established theories are only correct to the best of mankinds meagre knowledge and can be proven wrong when a new discovery is made

Well.. theories have context. Gravitation for example is not WRONG, we just didn’t realise that it is only useful within certain bounds. Within those bounds it’s still fine.

miketually
    Free Member

my point was that trusted and well established theories are only correct to the best of mankind’s meagre knowledge and can be proven wrong when a new discovery is made, as has happened for millennia, just because our understanding of the universe is greater now does not mean this won’t continue to happen

Yes, that’s pretty much what science is. That’s its greatest strength.

johnellison
    Free Member

But you wouldn’t be able to sit on it!

How do you know? Nobody knows what dark matter is!!

loum
    Free Member

Nice quote about the 96% richmtb, it looks interesting reading.

I don’t know if you, or anyone else with a bit of decent subject knowledge, can answer a little question it raised for me.
    As i understand it, the 23% is the extra (so far) unobserved mass required to balance the laws of gravity at the Galaxy scale/level.
    And the 73% is the extra energy/force required to explain how the universe expansion appears to be accelerating.
    Now, is that 73% based on our estimate of the mass of things with or without the added 23%?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

a lot of people see this, and other such theoretical physics, as being only related to “out there”, to the rest of the universe, and therefore doesn’t really affect us.

So true about so many things, sadly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All those for the B Ark please form an orderly queue……

MrWoppit
    Free Member

According to “Horizon” this week, space time is not evenly spread, it’s clumped and stretched like the froth on top of a capuccino.

This means that as light travels through it, it’s speed varies, despite Einstein’s theory of relativity that maintains the speed of light is a constant. Crikey.

It’s amazing, BTW, how many of those who sneer at science display such woeful ignorance about it. The constant and repetitive misuse and misunderstanding of what the word “theory” means, for instance. As in – “It’s only a theory”, and so on.

I like Richard Dawkins. He helps to man the redoubt of The Enlightenment against the yammering circus of superstition that now complains about not being taken seriously, as if it deserved to be.

I agree with everything he says, except perhaps his willingness to give an infinitesimally small measure of probability that a god exists.

I’m not that generous.

molgrips
    Free Member

This means that as light travels through it, it’s speed varies, despite Einstein’s theory of relativity that maintains the speed of light is a constant.

The speed of light IN A VACUUM is constant. The time taken to get from source to observer isn’t necessarily what you’d expect, for the same reason that driving on a windy road is slower than as the crow flies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I like Richard Dawkins. He helps to man the redoubt of The Enlightenment against the yammering circus of superstition that now complains about not being taken seriously, as if it deserved to be.

I agree with everything he says, except perhaps his willingness to give an infinitesimally small measure of probability that a god exists.

Me too but I await a credible theory as to the existence of god..

The problem with Science & Scientists is that the talk to each other not the rest of the world. They have rules and conventions about what a theory is and facts etc. The media picks up on these witterings as fact (as thats what a scientist says…)

richmtb

How do you know? Nobody knows what dark matter is!!

Yeah but we know what it isn’t. It isn’t normal matter that has an EM field – other wise it wouldn’t be “dark”.

The reason you don’t fall through the chair you are sitting on is down to the electromagnetic force. In the absence of any EM interaction dark matter would just pass right through you.

So you wouldn’t be able to sit on a dark matter bike

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The speed of light IN A VACUUM is constant.

Ah.

Artificial conditions only, then…

bencooper
    Free Member

This means that as light travels through it, it’s speed varies, despite Einstein’s theory of relativity that maintains the speed of light is a constant. Crikey

Isn’t that getting back to the idea of an aether, as disproved by Michelson-Morley?

mogrim

Artificial conditions only, then…

Stick it in a magic field and it goes really slowly, like golden treacle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cox to the forum Cox to the forum (Brian that is….)

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh gods, no – I’m sure he’s a lovely man, but he’s at the heart of the dumbing-down of science on TV. I don’t need an arrow to know which way gravity acts, thanks, Brian.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I like the fact that people are posting on this thread using high powered, relatively tiny computing devices, and are still insisting that theoretical physics doesn’t serve any purpose.

richmtb

The speed of light IN A VACUUM in non curved spacetime is constant.

FTFY

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t need an arrow to know which way gravity acts, thanks, Brian.

However a lot do……

Again Final boarding call for the B ARK!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Isn’t that getting back to the idea of an aether, as disproved by Michelson-Morley?

Shouldn’t think so, unless you think that’s another way of describing “dark matter”…

As I understand it, it’s been found that neutrinos from distant star explosions seem to be arriving at different times. If spacetime was even, this wouldn’t happen.

Some neutrinos are “heavier” than others and aren’t affected as much by the bumps and lumps, but “lighter” ones are. At least I think that’s what they were saying…

Edit: Perhaps I need an arrow.

richmtb

Oh gods, no – I’m sure he’s a lovely man, but he’s at the heart of the dumbing-down of science on TV. I don’t need an arrow to know which way gravity acts, thanks, Brian

Really!?

REALLY!?

I would say he is at the heart of encouraging the current interest in science on TV.

I’ve not seen geodesics in spacetime and the Chandrasehkar limit come up too
    often in Eastenders

messiah
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

REALLY!?

Yes. Horizon has been dumbed down (remember when you had to go sit in a dark room for an hour afterwards?), Equinox was brilliant. We used to have really good quality advanced science programming, not written for the lowest common denominator.

I took my daughter to visit her grandmother yesterday evening, and found her swearing at the Eddie Izzard genetics programme on TV – as a retired biochemist she was picking holes in the science all over.

There’s nothing wrong with basic hand-waving science programmes for those unable or unwilling to think hard – but there has to be the better stuff too, and you can’t make it inaccurate no matter how basic it is – you just can’t.

chvck
    Free Member

Ever heard of “lies to children”? Sometimes you have to slightly alter fact so that people can actually understand wtf you’re on about and then at the next step of knowledge you correct what was said etc…

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with basic hand-waving science programmes for those unable or unwilling to think hard – but there has to be the better stuff too

Given a fixed amount of airtime and money for science programmes, it’s better to make ones that appeal to a wider audience to bring people’s general knowledge up a few notches, than to appeal to a small set of geeks.

If you’re that hardcore buy some books and read them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Dark matter? what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.