Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 407 total)
  • Danny Baker
  • vinnyeh

Surely there’s no way to survive this?

How on earth could somebody post this without once thinking there might be consequences.

lunge

Jesus, that is so, so wrong. I like the guy on radio but that is a serious line crossed.

kimbers

I find him intolerable on the radio but I didn’t realise he was that much of an arsehole

precutduck
    Free Member

Oh Christ, this isn’t going to end well. He’s going to get taken out by a range rover soon

IHN

Or:

– Man posts photo, thinking it funny but not realising implication
    – Man has implication pointed out to him
    – Man apologises (twice) and retracts photo

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

tough to not realise the implications in this day and age…

zippykona

He is a national treasure and I hope he doesn’t get the sack.

If Tommy yaxley Lennon had posted it though I’d be calling for him to be strung up.

Funny old world.

vinnyeh

Or:

– Man posts photo, thinking it funny but not realising implication
    – Man has implication pointed out to him
    – Man apologises (twice) and retracts photo

You’re kidding, right?

zilog6128

But obviously unintentional.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Chimplications, surely?

Meh…. It’s all a bit “I’m offended” snowflake. If that’s what offends you please don’t watch the news, there’s some real sh!t going on out there.

IHN

Oh, don’t get me wrong, he’s going to get roasted for it, but such is the age of Internet Anger.

An honest misjudgement, an honest apology, I don’t know what more he can do.

IHN

You’re kidding, right?

No, why?

johnners
    Free Member

“Once again. Sincere apologies for the stupid unthinking gag pic earlier. Was supposed to be joke about Royals vs circus animals in posh clothes but interpreted about monkeys & race, so rightly deleted. Royal watching not my forte.”

An honest misjudgement, an honest apology, I don’t know what more he can do.

It was a stupid thing to post but agree that should be an end of it. Of course it won’t be, the offence athletes will be reposting the idiotic tweet forever without any mention of the prompt retraction and apology.

vinnyeh

You genuinely believe he didn’t know the racist connotations of what he was posting?

martinhutch

I’m sure there was no racist intent, but a stunning lack of judgement on display there.

IHN

You genuinely believe he didn’t know the racist connotations of what he was posting?

I refer you to my previous posts, make your own judgement.

BruceWee

It took me a minute to think about the race thing, tbh. As soon as I saw royals I thought inbreeding.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’s never come across as that type of guy has he? At the same time, for somebody who one would think has his finger on some kind of pulse of popular culture and the moral zeitgeist of our time, that is an incredibly stupid post.

Reminds me of Roy Hodgson’s simian metaphor during (I think) a half time team talk to the England football team with multiple black and mixed heritage players in the dressing room. IIRC, he was mostly forgiven for that.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve never picked up any other implication of racism from Danny Baker so i’d give him a pass.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Very poorly executed “piss take/joke”

Of all people in the media world right now, he should act more responsibly with foresight and compassion.

On the other hand, since mid 2016, it seems we can all air our internal monologues without reprisals or indignation.

He’s a very well respected and intelligent Journo/Jockey, seems like a very odd thing to do.

He will get roasted for it, despite his apology.

DezB
    Free Member

He once visited Michael Jackson in Neverland and wrote an amazing, glowing report in the the NME. So he’s probably a racist and a nonce too eh.
    Racism? **** hell.

convert

I had to work it through and would not have done until I saw it was causing a kerfuffle – possibly because of my anti royals viewpoint and knowing he thinks similarly I saw it only one way until I gave it more thought.

I went……. royal family = performing monkeys, next little insta-celeb performing monkey has been born ready to entertain the great unthinking unwashed…..very funny……oh hang on……’monkey’…….never crosses my mind but those nasty racists use it as an insult………sharp intake of breath.

johnx2
    Free Member

Took me several seconds to make the racism connection. On the face of it it’s like one of those not very funny birthday cards they sell everywhere. Though I see now why this one might not make the collection.

Could there even be a positive thing of ‘monkey’ tropes being left behind to the extent they don’t even enter the mind? This would be good wouldn’t it and is clearly what’s happened here?

Amazingly crass though from a bright person with media/football/London working class connections (I score zero out of three which is my excuse for being slow). So yeah. Burn him.

(Opened this thinking oh no he’s not got cancer again. Hey ho.)

Eyepic
    Free Member

OK so could me I am a bit slow on the uptake but I didn’t consider any racist side to this picture until it was mentioned above.

pondo

+1 for not getting the conotation until explained in here.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TBH I looked at that and just saw a monkey and didn’t initally realise the reason for the outrage. Once I’d made the connection there was a bit of an “ooooh” moment.
    I can see some groups being outraged, but I don’t think someone in the public eye would post something like that with the inention of being racist if they didn’t want their career to plummet.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ill judged for sure in retrospect  but sometimes, a monkey is just a monkey….or in this case, an ape,

If it had been a dog or a wallaby or a baby llama  instead it would have been hilarious rather than cringeworthy.

Pitchforks away.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’m not racist but… neither is Danny Baker I very strongly presume and therefore mistake or “miss-taken”?

zippykona

The name gave away playing cards and Bob Marley was the king of spades.

There’s no way I would have thought anything odd about it if it wasn’t for the outrage that followed.

Harry_the_Spider

I saw it as a circus act rather than a racist thing too.

Ill judged rather than racist IMO.

kimbers

I can see some groups being outraged, but I don’t think someone in the public eye would post something like that with the inention of being racist if they didn’t want their career to plummet.

i suppose this must be true, surely no one is stupid enough to think he will be able to get away with it?

either way itll have the tommy robinson fans cheering

Harry_the_Spider

Just seen his statement on the BBC website. Seems fair enough and should be left at that.

£10 says that the Beeb suspend him on the same day that Farage gets yet another hour or so to broadcast his bile on QT.

kerley
    Free Member

I thought it was racist within less than a second. However I don’t imagine Danny Baker is racist and this would be pretty blatant way of showing it.

funkmasterp

+1 for not getting the conotation until explained in here.

+2 on that. I just thought of the circus / performance angle as per the posts above.

franksinatra

I didn’t view it as racist but I’m switched on enough to see how it wouldn’t end well (footballers, bananas, chimp noises etc).

No doubt it was an honest mistake however he is in the public eye with a huge following so therefore he should be very aware of things like this. He should know better, that is his responsibility as a public broadcaster.

kimbers

I didn’t view it as racist but I’m switched on enough to see how it wouldn’t end well (footballers, bananas, chimp noises etc).

No doubt it was an honest mistake however he is in the public eye with a huge following so therefore he should be very aware of things like this. He should know better, that is his responsibility as a public broadcaster.

Danny Baker has been to enough Millwall gammes to know the connotations

johndoh
    Free Member

It would have been funnier if it was an orangutan.

Harry_the_Spider

He’s been doing the “Circus Animals Dressed As Famous People” thing for years. It was a regular feature on TFI Friday which he was the writer on.

bob_summers

+2 on that. I just thought of the circus / performance angle as per the posts above.

+3. I just thought it was unfunny until I got to the 12th post on here.

franksinatra

BBC news update
    He’s just been fired from Radio 5

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 407 total)

The topic ‘Danny Baker’ is closed to new replies.