Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dakine Hot Laps 2 waist bag – a mini review: #bumbag #fannypack #hippack
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Thought i’d do a mini review on my latest purchase, a Dakine Hot Laps 2 which i purchased from Leisure Lakes, Cheltenham.

Purchased in pursuit of the holy grail of bum bags.

My favourite option for doorstep rides is an old Thomson stem bag filled with stuff & stowed in my cycle jersey rear pocket. This works a treat when wearing multiple layers as it reduces the bounce around effect, but with summer looming & only one layer of clothing being worn, this system isn’t ideal (plus my cycle jersey pockets are becoming sagged!).

I have bum bag history:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2esLkRL]2019-04-17_11-50-24[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

Ancient Power Bar bag: is now falling apart despite multiple restitching, can’t fit a big mobile phone into, worked a treat in its day.
    Lowe Alpine, Mesa Runner: this is my second, i also owned one back in the early 90’s, its 6l so quite bit, no dedicated bottle carrier, has compression straps, two pockets, this one is thinning. Great bag, can be a muddle, cinches up well to avoid rattles, padded back.
    Lowe Alpine, LiteFlight Hydro: Great bag, two pockets, two stash pockets, bottle in centre catches crud, two main pockets have no divider so stuff migrates when you put it on / off, contours well.

And onto the Dakine Hot Laps 2:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fyL9Hr]2019-04-17_11-52-03[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

It has one fleece line phone pocket, 5 internal elasticated straps, 2 small pockets, 5 external webbing loops, stowable / deployable bottle holster. Approx 8″ internal width.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24XaLn4]2019-04-17_11-52-40[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

Could also fit my Blackburn Shorty pump with the Endura Pakajack not in its stuff sack.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fyL9Yg]2019-04-17_11-52-29[/url] by martinddd, on Flickr

One ride in, so early days: all my kit stows neatly away in a very organised way, with a 660ml bottle in the holster the weight is noticeable but not limiting (i prefer it without the added weight), seems well made, not tested the water proofness of it yet but guess its resistant as opposed to proofed.

Looks a bit like the High Above, Lookout which is water proof, a LOT more expensive & not available in the UK.

So, one ride in and i’m currently liking it, does it meet the holy grail of tool & water carrying whilst being undetectable………… err, no. Its a bum bag with stuff in, i know its there, its not uncomfortable & its highly organised.

£30.00

isitafox
    Free Member

Nice, I like having the option of storing a bottle.
    I’m currently using a Sweaty Betty running bum bag I stole off the wife which just about fits a tube, inflator, 2-3 gas cylinders, couple of gels, multitool, puncture repair kit and has a mesh pouch I stick either my gopro or a few graze protein bites.
    Not really ideal and looking for a proper riding pouch so this looks like it could be the one, thanks for the review!

razorrazoo

Thanks, useful, thinking about picking one of these up.

russyh
    Free Member

Been running one of these for a while, really really rate it! In fact with this and a bottle on the frame I don’t think I’m going to need a HP again, so much easier and nicer to use. Sits properly on my hips with no real movement and no need to have the straps done up unbearably tight.

Oh yeah they sell lots of the Dakine kit at Dean Vally cycles in the Forest of Dean too.

flyingmonkeycorps

That looks pretty cunning, might be just what I need for summer adventures.

**edit** also the blue one is currently on offer for £22.50 on the link posted above. Bargain. Probably be ok for running too.

isitafox
    Free Member

Just ordered one as had some amazon vouchers from my birthday which I’ve been struggling to find a use for!

marksnook
    Free Member

Got the hotlaps 5l and find it a bit big at times if I’m not out for a long ride. Been eyeing these up for a while. Got a Lowe pro lite flight and find with no internal division or pockets stuff moves around and annoys me.
    You know what you just sold it to me! I’m ordering one

slimjim78
    Free Member

Does the main strap expand to *ahem* really wide?

You see I’ve got this mate, who’s quite fat..

moonsaballoon

I’ve had one of these for a year or so now . As far as these things go I find it works really well . The only thing that failed for me was the elastic loop for over the bottle snapped after 1 ride bit I just tried a knot in it and it works fine .

The bottle holder also works really well with an endura pakajak coat .

I had thought about getting a bigger one with a bladder for bigger days out but I think once you get to a certain amount to carry a bag is a better bet .

fasthaggis

That looks a good setup.
    I have been tempted to give the bumbag thing a go,I used to use one for skiing.
    Does the weight acting on your waist make you need to pee more often ?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a Hotlaps Stealth, as I only need a bottle on the frame & I don’t actually carry a tube in it.

It’s a great bit of kit when it’s really hot & I don’t want to wear the Morvelo Covert jerseys I have. I can carry as much in both. I still think I prefer the Movelo jersey as it doesn’t move at all, but 2 layers when it’s really hot isn’t much fun.

qwerty
    Free Member

Slimjim – I measured buckle to buckle @ about 43″

Fasthaggis – I’ve never found a bum bag strap affect my urge to pee

fasthaggis

Thanks.
    I had this thing when I used to drive a lot,that if I didn’t stop the seatbelt acting against my waist (used a bulldog clip to lock it in position) I seemed to need more pee stops.
    I know it sounds daft,but I always imagined it had something to do with the belt. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dakine Hot Laps 2 waist bag – a mini review: #bumbag #fannypack #hippack’ is closed to new replies.