Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cyclocross bikes…. Should I??
  • tutgareth
    Free Member

I have never been into road bikes as I much prefer getting muddy, however I have recently realized i’m a fat bloater and need to do more exercise!! so I plan to commute to work which is about 4 miles ew, but my trusty DB alpine and Giant faith don’t really cut it.
    I’d like to get a bike that is good on the road but has the abiltiy to hack down the local canal, bridleways and fire roads too. Is a cyclo cross the one for me?? 😕

bol

Yep.

chakaping
    Free Member

hell yeah

D0NK

if you want something that’s much faster than a mountain bike but a lot more rubbish at handling tricky stuff (like a few small rocks, roots, steps and other scary obstacles) yes get one. If it’s only for a 4 mile commute I’ve probably stick with the hardtail TBH.

stewart4444
    Free Member

defo
    i thought the same, my CX bike has ended up my most used bike.

iainfrancis
    Free Member

I bought an On-One dirty disco last year for just the same reason. For a couple of rides I thought I’d made a mistake, it seemed as though I’d sacrificed a huge amount of control for only a marginal increase in speed. I found descending bumpy tracks pretty hair raising as my hands wanted to bounce off the hoods and I didn’t feel particularly safe on the drops with one finger barely on the brake. But I wouldn’t be without it now and I’ve barely ridden my full suss since. Get one.

DezB
    Free Member

I did recently and the answer is: yes.
    (Get one with disc brakes if you can)

Eggbox
    Free Member

It would be a waste of money just for a 4 mile commute…but if used for other stuff then well worth it.

A CX bike needs to be ridden fast to be fun though IMO. If you want to potter then stick with the MTB, but don’t get me wrong, I think CX bikes are ace.

swavis

If your asking the question here you already know the answer, yes! 😉

HTH

v12jat
    Free Member

Get one, you wont regret it! Mine gets ridden more than my road/MTB’s, primary bike for training etc…

Will be upgrading it later this year, a dirty disco will be the next bike i’m going to get!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought a genesis equilibrium last year for a sportive, but I was unsure whether I should have bought a CX.

I had previously tried a Salsa La Cruz but it felt like a bit of a boat – didn’t think much of it.

My mate in the Malverns was questioning me about a road bike and my equilibrium – I said he should go the CX route as he is right near the hills.

I suggested that he buy a 2nd hand Croix De Fer as they seem to go for about £700, and then if he didn’t like it he could sell it on for not much loss.

After two failed ebay attempts he bought a 2012 one from gumtree (not nicked) for £690, fairly mint – not many miles, waxoiled, no marks, etc. (Also got the chicken levers which seem pretty pointless).

It was near me so I picked it up and he will pick it up later – so I had a go on it yesterday.

Even though it is heavy it rides a bit lighter and is good fun, making the local common, which is fairly flat, seem like it is full of singletrack.

I am now thinking of getting a frame and swapping many of my equilibrium parts over.

So if you try a good 2nd hand one for 700 and then like it you can get some decent wheels for it and it will be the same price as a new one – as the wheels on the Croix do seem to be the weakest point, and it feels a bit of a lump when you pick it up.

Alex

Love mine. Not ridden my road bike for a year, but cx gets out most weeks, 15 mins to local woods, 45 mins playing about and 15 mins home. Also get used for riding to pub/shops as roads round here are horrible. Amazing what you can ride on a CX bike even if you’re a ham fisted klutlz like me 😉

On the drops, in woody singletrack it’s at least as much fun as the MTB. Disc Brakes defo, chicken levers are coming off when I can be bothered. never use them.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Same here. got one a year ago, I hardly use anything else now. I do the blue and red up Glentress on it no bother, it makes me pick lines more carefully than I would on the full suss thats for sure!
    One thing I would recommend though is double taping the bars if you are planning riding it properly off road, I got pretty sore hands to start with.
    Like swavis said, asking on here means you are sitting typing the credit card numbers in pretty much 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

I bought a Spesh Tricross which isn’t really a CX bike, more a cross-purpose bike. However it’s fantastic on gentle off-road stuff, climbs like a goat, brakes well with its disc brakes and is fantastically comfortable over long distances. Loaded up with panniers and rack it is stable and makes a nice tourer and with mudguards it makes a great winter bike, especially if you want to nip along towpaths and the sea front at Fleetwood. Generally a great all-purpose ride.

gt900uk
    Free Member

I would say yes do it.

I just got myself a Jamis Nova Sport CX bike and am very happy with it. Using it for a 10mile each way commute and will be using it for a couple of triathlons this year and weekend bimbles, really liking it and its much quicker on the commute than my mtb would have been.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No buy a Fargo. Best of both worlds. Fit fat tyres for big stuff, skinny tyres for trails and for the road.

Aristotle
    Free Member

My Crosslight has been used for all types of riding (although the original frame did snap)

For somebody who isn’t road racing, a bike that has clearances for off-road-able tyres is great.

mistertee
    Free Member

Loving mine… as slowclimb says, great round Glentress Blue and Red. And the Green, you can really blast!

Guerciotti Lyra frameset from Planet X, built up with mostly roadie leftovers (eg. 1990 XT cantis!) and new cheap bits.

tutgareth
    Free Member

Thanks for the respone people :D, think my mind is made up!

like the look of the Kona jake and the Cannondale CaadX but will have to check out the others too.

Now just to work out how much to spend and what size I need…… 😯

Is CX sizing similar to road bikes?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a Jake. Bought mine secondhand and upgraded it.

Rides lovely, but if I were buying new I’d have the Boardman CX at the top of my list.

I think the top tubes are often a bit shorter.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Oh and get ready for some toe overlap frights on tight corners to start with…unless its just me 😉

DezB
    Free Member

No!
    56-58cm road bike here… 54cm CAAD-X. I didn’t believe the shop bloke, even after I’d ridden the bike! 54 is right though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

go 2cm shorter, else it might feel like a barge

I rode a Genesis Vapour, which seemed very stiff, and I had toe overlap which bugged me a lot.

On the Croix de fer yesterday I had none – the CDF might have been a smaller size as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

for some toe overlap frights on tight corners to start with…unless its just me

It’s not just you.

tutgareth
    Free Member

Glad i dont know anything about road bike sizes then!!

Can anyone recomend a good CX bike shop in the Guildford, Woking Bracknell area?

jam-bo

i’ve done a 4 mile commute on a BMX so I don’t think that really cuts it.

if you want a new bike, buy one.

D0NK

Oh and get ready for some toe overlap frights on tight corners to start with…unless its just me

I’ve got full guards and size 12 feet, definitely had toe overlap when trackstanding at lights but not noticed it out on the trails, maybe I’m not pedalling through corners enough. (or you guys should drop your outside foot more?)

tutgareth
    Free Member

toe overlap….?? whats this then!? 😯

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can probably find a croix de fer to try at that big Evans outside of Guildford – the one opposite PC World.

Otherwise you may have to take a punt.

As I say, a 2nd hand Croix de fer (CDF is different – heavier and less good steel) for £700 and sell if you don’t like it or when you have got more experience to know what angles you want slackened, etc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

toe overlap….?? whats this then!?

your toes rub against the tyre as you turn – it’s is pants.

I experienced it on the Vapour but not the Croix, for some reason. Only size 8 feet 🙁

slowclimb
    Free Member

You dont notice it after a bit, I only get it on tight switchbacks on the way up. Even that, I dont really get it now, just know what to do. p*ssed me right off to start with, thought I was going to have to take a dremel to my toes.

DezB
    Free Member

http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk/ do Genesis
    http://fudgescyclestore.com do Cannondale

I’m sure there’s loads more!

tutgareth
    Free Member

your toes rub against the tyre as you turn – it’s is pants.

I experienced it on the Vapour but not the Croix, for some reason. Only size 8 feet

best watch out for it with my size 10’s then!

I’m sure there’s loads more!

Thanks, i went to head for the hills for my DB alpine and they were very helpful so will give them a visit

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am boycotting Head for the Hills after they built my wheel off centre and then couldn’t straighten it properly after a spoke nipple (which might have been too tight?) broke, and failed to replace some rounded nipples at the same time.

The cannondales are still cantis, if that matters – maybe you don’t mind not stopping quickly?

Don’t think I have ever seen a CDF in H4H, only Equilibriums.

tutgareth
    Free Member

oh dear that doesnt sound great, must say ive never had them do any work before so wouldnt know..

Your right about the cannondales.. alsmot..the 2013 CaadX ultegra has discs, but at £1500 I dont think the Mrs would be too impressed if i spent that much!!.. 😯 😈

RichT

Get one with disks. Try East St Cycles in Farnham. They do Cannondale and can also get other brands in. They built a Salsa for me.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross bikes…. Should I??’ is closed to new replies.