• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by adamsmith3450-spam.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cycling trousers for the (very) long of leg
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Been looking to get some cycling trousers for a while now, but haven’t been able to find any that fit. I’m 6’5 and slim, and all the ones I’ve tried have been way too short unless I go up several sizes, at which point they’re comically large around the waist and far too baggy. (Why do cycle clothing companies seem to think that waist size is directly proportional to leg length?)

Any of the lankier forumites managed to find a pair that are decently long without needing to size up too much?

AngusWells

Basically, no. I’m not as quite as tall as you (6’2″) but have a slim/skinny waist (30″ minus). All the cycling specific trousers I have tried with a good waist size for me have been far too short in the leg. My best solution has been Rohan walking trousers which come in slim waists and decent length legs and have articulated knees that work well on the bike.

Cheers

cinnamon_girl

Just a suggestion – check out Rose Bikes online. They’re a German based retailer (I’ve used them several times without problems, very quick too) and they have a larger selection of brands in a huge range of sizes.

HTH

AngusWells

CG, good link and I like the look of the Platzangst zip off bike pants (102 quid – ouch) but the problem with mail order is do they fit odd sized chaps? There are waist measurements for those Plantzangst’s but no leg lengths. The same goes for the Jack Wolfskin trousers, which are walking strides, on there.

Just had another look and they are 127 quid. Grosse ouch. Obviously the double dip recession hasn’t hit Germany yet.

cinnamon_girl

Might be worth checking out the manufacturers websites for more detail?

There’s definitely a good few tall chaps on here so they may have some suggestions. Also badlywireddog from this parish is in the trade so he may be able to help, he’s certainly opened my eyes to other manufacturers.

Ground Effect New Zealand – may be worth checking out their website?

Shocking prices yes indeed!!

sugdenr
    Free Member

I am 34″ inside leg 35″ waist, I hate trousers or tops that come up short in my arms/legs – cant find anything that fits in mtb trousers, have given up and just ride shorts even in the snow. Also have to buy only XXL gloves else fingers too short!

MrTall
    Free Member

Try Decathlon as i bought a pair of waterproof cycling trousers from them that are incredibly long legged.

My inside leg is 39/40″ and these are the only ones i’ve ever found that are actually long enough. Only around £30 as well if i recall?

ashfanman
    Free Member

check out Rose Bikes online. They’re a German based retailer (I’ve used them several times without problems, very quick too) and they have a larger selection of brands in a huge range of sizes.

Yeah, I’ve had a look at Rose, but given the issues I’ve had with fit in the past, I’d be pretty reluctant to order any without being able to try them on first. That said, I’ve always found Rose to be pretty helpful in the past, so I might try emailing them. Maybe they have some lanky chaps in the office that can point me in the right direction!

cant find anything that fits in mtb trousers, have given up and just ride shorts even in the snow

Likewise. But doing a trans-Alp this October I really began to regret only having shorts during the early morning starts. Brrrr. 🙂

Try Decathlon as i bought a pair of waterproof cycling trousers from them that are incredibly long legged.

Sounds promising. Are they any of the ones listed on this page? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/pants-mens-clothing_24_0_KIND=homme.html

CraigW
    Free Member

Have a look at Swrve. http://swrve.co.uk/softshell%20trouser.html
    Their trousers are a slim fit, and are available in several leg lengths. Though not cheap.
    Also worth a look at their US website, it often has a wider range of sizes: http://www.swrve.us/

ashfanman
    Free Member

Good shout on Swrve. I checked the US site and it seems they can provide their trousers to order in any inseam size up to an unfinished 37″, so they should be more than long enough. They look a bit hipsterish for my liking, and £85 is a bit spendy, but worth a look at the very least. Thanks for that.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

32″ waist 36″ inside leg needed here and no luck so far. Could do with some waterproof overtrousers as well as the ones i have now are half way up my calves when i pedal.

I’ve found Endura biblongs to be usable with winter boots – still get an inch or so between socks and leggings but not too much of a problem

If anyone wants to get together a group buy to cut shipping costs I’d be in for some softshell trousers and possibly some other stuff.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I see I’m not the only person with this problem! I usually end up with too short legs and then use socks to take up the slack :p

I have the same problem with gloves as well. I have pickpockets fingers and I can never get gloves that fit my long fingers.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I haven’t yet found any that are long enough. I tend to buy bib tights and just treat them like slightly long 3/4s.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The UK Swrve importer will get unhemmed stuff in on request so worth dropping him a line (via the UK website).

maccruiskeen

My inside leg is 39/40″

As a tall man, can I just say…. O.M.actual.G!

Might be difficult to find now (but cheap if you can), but I’ve got a pair of Charge / Surface Liquistretch trousers – amply long for my 36″ inside leg. Not your typical MTB styling but great to ride in.

I’ve had good luck with Sombrio sizing wise too, although I hope by now they’ve learned to make buttons, zips and press studs that stay attached to the garments, which are otherwise pretty well thought out.

Both the surface and sombrio trousers I’ve got have proper belt loops rather than over-thought and under-useful laser-cut velco-adjustomatic bullchuff. But both are jinxed by having poppers instead of buttons at the top of the fly. The surface ones are still attached to the garment though

I usually end up with too short legs

how do your feet reach the ground?

njee20
    Free Member

I am 34″ inside leg 35″ waist

That sounds fairly normal, if reasonably large in the waist 😕

Also have to buy only XXL gloves else fingers too short!

Why else would you buy XXL gloves 😕

I’m not of long leg, but I used to find Lusso tights much too long, should be an easy option to try.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I am 34″ inside leg 35″ waist

That sounds fairly normal, if reasonably large in the waist

Really? Based on what experience of yours? Most ‘normal’ trousers – in my decades of experience of being a long leg trouser buyer – top out a 33″

Also have to buy only XXL gloves else fingers too short!

Why else would you buy XXL gloves

Err, because you have XXL hands? Which I dont, I have large to XL hands but most gloves are too short in the finger.

I’m not of long leg

Explains it, back to the Daily Mail for you.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Charge / Surface Liquistretch trousers – amply long for my 36″ inside leg. Not your typical MTB styling but great to ride in.

Sounds like you were lucky – Road.cc review said “The leg length is a generous 34″ on our 32″ samples”

I’ve wasted a lot of money over the years on trousers that were ‘nearly’ long enough.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cycling trousers for the (very) long of leg’ is closed to new replies.