Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • 'Cycling has given me camaraderie with other men again,’
  • Harry_the_Spider

‘Cycling has given me camaraderie with other men again,’ Kemp says. ‘I was in a band, so that matters to me. My wife has coffees with the girls, but I don’t go out and have beers with my mates. And I don’t play golf – thank God. But I’ve found that camaraderie again through cycling. It’s one of many reasons why it is such a beautiful sport.’

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/10328345/Gary-Kemp-why-Im-obsessed-with-cycling.html

allthepies
    Free Member

A contender for Pseuds Corner.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep but good for him

br
    Free Member

Kemp’s wife dubbed his bike ‘the mistress’.

My wife usually refers to whoever it is I’m riding most with, as ‘the wife’.

And once you get past 40 and start looking at others of your age (and younger), you start to realise how fit/healthy cycling keeps you.

I think it’s also that you sit down and realise that you are passed half-way, and that monetary things are just that. Things. So it’s how best to ensure you keep healthy to enjoy a long happy life – while enjoying yourself.

Rorschach
    Free Member

In no particular order,cycling has given me…
    Saddle sores
    Poverty
    A crap career (see above)
    Frequent flyer miles at A&E
    Really odd tan lines
    Hatred of cars
    Hairless legs
    4 nice photos
    Numerous mid pack finishes
    Cat AIDS.

atlaz
    Free Member

The article says he has a “fleet” of bikes but lists three. I hope he didn’t use that word to describe it, nor stable or quiver for that matter.

lucien

Rorschach – Member
    In no particular order,cycling has given me…
    Saddle sores
    Poverty
    A crap career (see above)
    Frequent flyer miles at A&E
    Really odd tan lines
    Hatred of cars
    Hairless legs
    4 nice photos
    Numerous mid pack finishes
    Cat AIDS.

POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

and dead robins, milky badgers and a new use for bombers.

Mackem

I’m not sure that article is a good advert for cycling or not.

It comes across as a load of pretentious waffle to me.

And he genuinely thinks he looks stylish?

boxfish
    Free Member

WGAF? He likes riding his bike. Good for him.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The article says he has a “fleet” of bikes but lists three. I hope he didn’t use that word to describe it, nor stable or quiver for that matter.

I wonder what colourway his favourite steed is?

atlaz
    Free Member

And he genuinely thinks he looks stylish?

If he was THAT keen he’d have matched his kit to his bike.

ton

good work Mr Kemp…….i reckon that is why a lot of us ride bikes.

and just to add, he looks no more foolish than any of the other thousands of mamils and weekend stormtroopers……. 😀

If he was THAT keen he’d have matched his kit to his bike.

I was thinking the same…

manitou
    Free Member

paul weller?!?… aaargh I think I’ll give up cycling. Pretentious tosser

Klunk
    Free Member

why do I get the feeling he’s never ridden in the rain !

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

@ Rorschach 😆

Cat AIDS! OMG – I thought I was the only one… 😯

Camaraderie with other men… er.. what. is. that. ?

…not sure I’ve ever experienced this.

Men are generally a bit odd, especially the cycling types. That’s why I only interact with them on the internetz.

atlaz
    Free Member

I was thinking the same…

Also, non-drive side photo. 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

His water bottle caps don’t match – that’s definitely a roadie fail.

Harry_the_Spider

Camaraderie with other men… er.. what. is. that. ?

Mostly for me it involves whizzing along in the dark like giddy kids then talking rubbish for half an hour in the pub afterwards.

rusty90
    Free Member

But on the plus side …
    Bike looks well set up (bars/levers/saddle not at odd angles)
    Not wearing Sky replica kit
    No visible paunch
    Photo taken in countryside, not front garden

I’ll give him a pass on this one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ll give him a pass on this one.

I’m withholding judgement, as I cannot ascertain fully if his valves and logos are aligned properly.

martinhutch

Why the grim-faced catalogue pose though? I reckon Fun Boy Three were taking the piss in the background.

Mackem

Mr Rapha will be thrapping himslef into an early grave with this publicity.

bruneep

Photo taken in countryside, not front garden

Probably is the front garden of his country estate…

ThePinkster

My wife usually refers to whoever it is I’m riding most with, as ‘the wife’.

And once you get past 40 and start looking at others of your age (and younger), you start to realise how fit/healthy cycling keeps you.

I think it’s also that you sit down and realise that you are passed half-way, and that monetary things are just that. Things. So it’s how best to ensure you keep healthy to enjoy a long happy life – while enjoying yourself.^This^.

wife usually refers to whoever it is I’m riding most with, as ‘the wife’.

Especially ^This^. Mrs. Pinkster does exactly the same thing.

vorlich
    Free Member

his son Milo

Of course his son Milo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mr Rapha will be thrapping himslef into an early grave with this publicity.

http://internationale.teamjva.com/

binners

I think we’re all missing the most important point here. This man was responsible for this….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkxFM2r5sU[/video]

He inflicted that on an unsuspecting world, and therefore deserves nothing that he can derive even the slightest pleasure from for the rest of his days

takisawa2

he wears a peaked cotton cap reminiscent of those worn by early Tour de France riders, a merino-blend jersey in vintage team colours and yak leather shoes with aluminium buckles evocative of old-fashioned toe-straps – all crafted by Rapha

🙄

Velo Club Rocacorba – a gentlemen’s cycling club run by the British cyclist and five-time Tour de France stage winner David Millar. The group meet near Millar’s home in Catalonia to conquer mountains, drink wine and dine in restaurants

Now, I like the sound of this.
    I might rock up on my Tri-Ban3, in my usual road kit resplendant in Humvees, Giro Hex & filthy Camelbak.

🙂

Good on you Mr Kemp.

Harry_the_Spider

Mr Kemp and Mr Rapha are mates. There is a chapter in Ned Boulting’s latest book about them.

rusty90
    Free Member

yak leather shoes with aluminium buckles evocative of old-fashioned toe-straps

Ok, I take it all back. Burn him.

atlaz
    Free Member

yak leather shoes with aluminium buckles evocative of old-fashioned toe-straps

Which, other than the yak leather, alu buckles and rapha name are Giro Factor shoes, only more expensive.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

“Camaraderie with men”?
    Does that mean taking the piss out of your mates when they crash?

jekkyl

Kemp will readily admit that he takes a long time to get dressed before a ride.

Shorts on, shoes on, zip up vest & put on helmet, gloves & glasses. What takes a long time? Doin’ his hair?? This article is very pretentious. Plus he’s standing around trying to be a cool ****t.

clanton
    Free Member

It is clear he loves riding his bike – great. It is also clear he loves some of the other things around cycling – the mystique, history etc. Good for him I say. YMMV but what works for him is his business. The more people on bikes the better IMO.

FWIW I thought it a well written article which I could relate to. I don’t go in for the merino wool/peaked cap look – but I love steel framed bikes (as do lots on here) and old school kit. I would love to get an ancient bike and ride L’eroica on it – so yeah – I get where he is coming from

cinnamon_girl

Lol, what a load of old tosh. 😐

The only good thing I can say about him is his taste when getting his first bike. Want. 🙂

martinhutch – Member

Why the grim-faced catalogue pose though? I reckon Fun Boy Three were taking the piss in the background.

Made me haha! 😀

mogrim

Has to be said that for a 54yr old British man, he doesn’t look that bad. Stylish? Dunno, failing to colour match his bike is a bit of a fail, must be said.

Edric64
    Free Member

I would love to get an ancient bike and ride L’eroica on it – so yeah – I get where he is coming from

Just to make you jealous I am ,roll on next Friday !Flying to Pisa for L`eroica with an old Holdsworth with toeclips (no yak leather shoes though !)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘'Cycling has given me camaraderie with other men again,’’ is closed to new replies.