Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cycling gets a bad name for the amount of drugs in it, but….
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

…this next block of writing just shows hos filthy other sports are “”Olympic gold medallist Justin Gatlin recorded the fastest time in the world this year to claim the men’s 100m Diamond League title in Brussels.
    The 32-year-old sped away from a strong field that included fellow American Tyson Gay and Jamaican Asafa Powell to win in a time of 9.77 seconds.
    That saw him usurp compatriot Michael Rodgers, who came second in the race in 9.93secs, at the top of the standings.”

Gatlin, Gay, Powell and Rodgers all have dodgy records….

MoreCashThanDash

…as was referred to in the commentary

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Good. I didnt see the race.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Almost every Jamaican sprinter of any note has been done for doping as well……

As Dai Greene pointed out, it’s hard to be injured and watch your sport when dopers are winning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rugby. I work with a guy who plays for a Scottish club, and openly admits to drug abuse, and claims everyone is ‘at it’. He reckons they get pretty much no testing at all.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

At club rugby level in Scotland there is no testing that I have seen. They may have tests from u20 age group international level upwards, but that’s very few and far between. Not sure that it’s all that widespread though, but I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest.

brooess
    Free Member

Is there a major sport without proven instances of PED abuse or cheating/betting scams at major level?

Pook

F1?

Cougar

Curling?

scaled
    Free Member

Baseball!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Darts

MrSmith
    Free Member

Rugby. I work with a guy who plays for a Scottish club, and openly admits to drug abuse, and claims everyone is ‘at it’. He reckons they get pretty much no testing at all.

Then why does rugby top the list on the UK anti doping website for number of infractions?

samuri
    Free Member

There’s a massive difference between being the most drugged up athletes in the world and being the most tested athletes in the world. If every sportsperson was tested to the same level, my guess is that footballers would come out as the most drugged up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    Then why does rugby top the list on the UK anti doping website for number of infractions?

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

As said above, not much if any testing at Scottish club level?.

piemonster

Toe Wrestling?

piemonster

There’s a massive difference between being the most drugged up athletes in the world and being the most tested athletes in the world. If every sportsperson was tested to the same level, my guess is that footballers would come out as the most drugged up.

I’d have to go with American Football.

bearnecessities

I’m going with the world hooker & coke-snorting championships.

anagallis_arvensis

They must have some testing in scottish rugby, Craig Chalmers son got banned.

bigad40
    Free Member

I was kinda hoping the drugs rep would put people off cycling, it’s gone mental around here.
    Fat old men in team Lycra is just not on!

piemonster

I was kinda hoping the drugs rep would put people off cycling, it’s gone mental around here.
    Fat old men in team Lycra is just not on!

Try to avoid mirrors, works for me.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cumbrian Wrestling. Two men in their underpants hugging until one gives up… Gotta be on drugs for that.

Kuco

scaled – Member
    Baseball!

Baseball has had its fair share of druggies.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s absolutely rife in baseball!

Darts and snooker have had positive tests too – to steady the hand.

ocrider

Yup, Major League Baseball still refuse to sign up to the WADA code. Clean as a whistle, nothing to hide, etc…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

unklehomered
    Free Member

Rugby , footbal and tennis are known to be filthy but they focus on skill & accuracy rather than mainly physical stamina, so it’s not an issue. Tennis guys all ‘do recovery’, and many do more.

*yes there’s skills in cycling, but its a different application and focus.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Maron Cilic in the final of the US Open after a comprehensive defeat of Federer and serving a ban for drugs last year…

All I can say is I saw him at Wimbledon some years ago and none of his shots were in any way world class, and I have seen a lot of top-class players up close at Wimbledon…

mt
    Free Member

If we could all have drugs none of this would be an issue. We’d all get our work done faster and be out on’t bike early.

ads678

Snooker players must be on something go stay awake so long!

johni
    Free Member

That must be an old conkers photo. No safety gloves…… 🙂

lunge

I’ve had this very conversation with friends recently. Cycling and athletics seems to get the doping headlines, everyone else sits back and quietly watches.

A few of my thoughts on random sports:
    Football. Endurance based sport (players basically do 10km of shuttle sprints over 90 minutes) with skills aspect and huge rewards. You get a lot of “he’s too small/not fast enough type comments in junior/youth sport as well. Add in young men with lots of money and an alleged penchant for recreation drugs and I would be gob smacked if it was not full of PEDs and recreational stuff. Also Google Operation Puerto and Spanish football

Rugby. Well documented recreational problems over the year along with a huge increase in the size of players and therefore the impacts of a game on the bodies. Lots of “recovery” and lots of ‘roids would be my guess.

Golf. A bit of something to help you get over the yips sir? Why thank you. See also darts, snooker, etc.

I think what cycling does well (or badly depending on your perspective) is that it is open about the tests, shouts about the bans and talks about the problem. Many other sports simply ignore or hide the problems completely.

Pook

….F1

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Golf. A bit of something to help you get over the yips sir?

I am dubious about this one – witness the number of good players that have problems with their putting and have to resort to ‘broom-handle’ putters, and are consequently going to be in trouble when they are shortly banned.

If there was something that could effectively deal with that issue then why do they have to resort to these putters? The yips isn’t simply nervousness, why be nervous over tapping a ball a few feet when you have just tried to smash it 300 yards through a relatively narrow gap?

brassneck

Taking drugs is probably the only way you’d get me to play golf 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cycling gets a bad name for the amount of drugs in it, but….’ is closed to new replies.