Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • Cycling alone in the wilderness.
  • hh45
    Free Member

surely TJ is right; there is no wilderness south of Perth but the fact that the original post mis used the word 'wilderness' doesn't make the thrust of his / her point irrelevant. Namely, when out alone and somewhere where you may not be stumbled upon for a few hours, then shouldn't you be careful to reduce risk of knackering yourself? I think the answer is yes. If on my own and there is noone about as is often the case mid week, evenings, nights on quiter stretchs etc then I ride that much more carefully.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

I'm in support of the OP – perfectly reasonable, even sensible question – shame its been met with howls of derision from some.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

PS – a sole is a fish – not surprising you hadn't seen one

druidh
    Free Member

Swalsey – Member
    Don't go out alone anywhere you wouldn't seeing anybody come by for a while

I'm sorry, but that really is absolute nonsense. Some of my best trips have been cycling, walking and mountaineering in remote corners of Scotland where you might not see another person for days.

ton

a word or two of warning for all you tough neysayers…….
    a lad i went to school with died from hypothermia after falling and breaking his ankle and banging his head.

on a footpath 2 miles from settle in the dales.

cinnamon_girl

Believe it or not I often don't see anyone mid-week on the trails in Hampshire. Frequent solo rider here.

In fact, when I broke my collar bone in Hampshire a few years ago, I just had to get on with it. Zero chance of anyone finding me on a rainy day. Checked bike over then pedalled back to car.

crikey
    Free Member

I'm in support of the OP

Then you should stay at home, with a full mobile signal so your mum doesn't get worried too.

druidh
    Free Member

ton – Member
    a word or two of warning for all you tough neysayers…….
    a lad i went to school with died from hypothermia after falling and breaking his ankle and banging his head.

on a footpath 2 miles from settle in the dales.

When I go off solo into the hills, I usually call Mrs Druidh when I arrive back at the car, ready to return home. That, after all, is when I'm most likely to be involved in an accident.

Edric64
    Free Member

Carry a distress flare if you are worried about solo riding in remote places

druidh
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    Carry a distress flare if you are worried about solo riding in remote places

See Tons point. Would you carry a distress flare in those circumstances?

br
    Free Member

At 16 I hitched up to Perth, then walked cross-country across to Fort William. Rang my mum (Hi Mum, I'm fine). Then walked to Ullapool, again cross-country. Then hitched home to Yorkshire. All in, about 4 weeks away.

Didn't consider it a problem at the time, but my mum mentioned it over Christmas – as my eldest is now 16 – that it was only when her and my dad went to the Highlands that they realised how isolated it is…

I always carry a whistle and foil blanket 😕

crikey
    Free Member

It's fortunate that large parts of the world were explored before the advent of mobile phones, otherwise we'd all still be living in villages frightened to death by the dark woods…

ton

accidents happen everywhere. near or far from home.
    one person's wilderness can be anothermans back yard.
    so like the man from hill street said…………'let's be carefull out there people'…………. 😉

Nainosliw
    Free Member

@ crikey

Um don't mean to be discourteous and all that, but think you've missed the point. OP was asking what emergency equipment people took and whether they rode alone, not whether he should stay at home with his mum rather than venturing out.

It's 2am and I just got in from my commute home along the River Severn.
    Quite often in the Winter, as I commute one way, I can see my untouched tracks from my previous journey the other way, which makes me realise that if I had fallen in and been unable to get out for whatever reason, I would still be there 12 hours later.
    I'd still rather ride along the river bank than along the road though.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Wow just came home from work and its seems what I though was a simple question (ok I admit maybe wilderness was the wrong word) has grown legs and caused great debate.

A simple answer like space blanket, whistle, extra clothes would have done the trick.

@Crikey I'm really sorry for upsetting you with my misuse of the word WILDERNESS. 😆

Thanks for replies people made for interesting reading.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Frankly, I'm surprised I've lived so long…

I thought you were a ghost?

Sorry for the pedant point – wilderness is an overused word IMo – there is not much of it in Scotland and none in England. How far do you think you can get from a road in England? Its only a few miles in the wilds of Scotland.

However the worst crash I know of happened to Sharki – in the quantocks where you are never more than a mile or so from a road.

I went solo nightriding in snow in the pentlands – hardly wilderness but a immobilising crash would have been nasty as it was well below freezing – apart from I told my missus where I was going and when I would be back so hopefully would have been rescued before dying.

Its all about risk assessment and taking sensible precautions

acorlett

I think it's just common sense to let someone know where you're going, and when you plan to be back – I once went out for a ride in the Cairngorms that I thought would be 2.5 hours but took over 5. GF was well annoyed, but justifiably so. If you have loved ones it's selfish not to take these precautions.

Plastic survival bag, foil blanket, emergency sweeties all the usual spares and tools, plus a spare chain. My rucksack weighs a ton with a full 3-litre Camelbak in it, too, but I'm superstitious enough to believe that the time I leave something out will be the time I need it.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

A simple answer like space blanket, whistle, extra clothes would have done the trick.

LMAO – on a forum like STW? – yer having a laff! 🙂

Nainosliw
    Free Member

I always take tools, whistle, space blanket, very small first aid (paracetamol, antihistamine cream, antiseptic – if I was ever to have to walk out with a broken shoulder or ankle I reckon a few paracetamol just might make it a tad less unpleasent) emergency food and extra layers.

I sometimes have a phone with me (I'm sure you all know this but dial 999 on yer mobi and it will find whatever signal it can – doesn't have to be your supplier) but don't regard it as safety equipment as too unreliable. Ditto GPS. I've thought of a big plastic bag just in case but haven't.

dickydutch

Not sure I agree with the statement thats theres no Wilderness south of Perth. Kielder is pretty isolated in parts. Surely it's open to interpetation of the word "wilderness".

glenncampbell

Johnboy373 has asked a reasonable question and has had a couple of fair replies and some heckling, which is fair enough for here I suppose. If any of the hecklers here rode the Kielder 100 did you laugh at, or refuse to take, first aid kits or a space blanket? It's just common sense out in the hills, wilderness or whatever you want to call it. The point is that in the event of an accident in which you're incapacitated, and they do happen – remember you helmet? – you need a bit of backup. That's all.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Could Crikey have missed the point any more spectacularly?

Plenty of places in the British Isles, yes even in tame old England, where you could lie around unable to move, with no phone signal, without seeing anybody for quite a while. The OP asked what measures people took to mitigate for this, not whether Crikey was a big tough man who would never find himself in such a predicament!

StirlingCrispin

The OP's question is very valid.
    It's all about avoiding the plummet into the bottom of the incident pit.

I would carry spare clothes (full waterproofs, fleece, gloves and buff), a whistle, space blanket and atibonk food. Head torch and emergency LEDs for the road haul home. Money and a mobile phone can be useful too, if only for helping you once you reach civilisation – the escape route can place you a very long way from home.

epicyclo

There's actually no real wilderness in Scotland. That's just a term used to gloss over the genocidal way the original inhabitants of the highlands were removed.

But back to the point, when you're out on your own you should have enough stuff on you to fix your bike. Generally the worst thing with a broken bike is you have a long walk.

You should be able survive an overnight in foul conditions if you get injured. Bearing in mind that this sort of situation probably means not all your limbs are working properly 🙂 Warm clothes and food are essential. Usually water is chucking down or lying around in this country so no need to carry too much of that.

I carry all this, but I realised after my incident the other day that if I had been slightly unluckier, I would not have been able to pull on another layer, so from now on I'll carry a zip up belay jacket instead of a pullover fleece. I'm also going to add Buffalo bootees, hood, and mitts when I venture into more distant parts. Delaying or preventing the onset of hypothermia is probably the most important thing if you are physically not able to self extract from a situation.

You should make sure someone knows where you are likely to be, even if it's just to stop them panicking and wasting the time of emergency services.

Of course, you only need to carry this stuff if you are going to have an accident. If you're not planning one, you don't need it. Unfortunately my accidents have always been unplanned, so I have to carry it just in case 🙂

cakefest
    Free Member

…is the best kind of cycling.

Regarding my previous Cycling Home At 2am post…
    I live on my own and rarely carry a phone.
    When I was single I used to joke that if I had an accident while bench pressing in my back garden I could be trapped under the bar for days before anyone found me.

I guess it does depend on how pedantic you want to be about the meaning of the word "wilderness" and whether the question is about being stuck a long way from civilisation with a broken bike and a long walk home, or being injured and unable to move with little hope of being found by a passer by.

splatz
    Free Member

Wilderness?? On your own?? Squeal like a pig boy!!

Nainosliw
    Free Member

He he – Listen!….. I hear banjos

Nainosliw
    Free Member

@crikey

Then you should stay at home, with a full mobile signal so your mum doesn't get worried too

FWIW my mum is 88 and doesn't know what day it is far less what I'm up to.

westkipper
    Free Member

Useful tip; you can offset some of the weight of carrying an extra layer and food by not wearing 300 grams of pointless polystyrene magic-hat.

…I'll get my coat (but not my helmet)

snowslave

yeah, you wouldn't want to take a helmet, especially if alone. I mean you might fall off and break it

boblo
    Free Member

Back to the original question, forget about squabbling over what wilderness is, assuming you're out there, solo, very remote and without any reliable comms…. has anyone used EPRB's or the more recent PLB's?

I'm not talking about whilst pissing about in the Peak, Richmond Park or the Quantocks but on land, in the UK when and where they would help in extremis.

crikey
    Free Member

ROFL!

It's mountain biking in the UK; essentially rambling on wheels, rather than death defying trouser filling extreme radness.

We seem to have bred a generation of folk who don't feel safe without a mobile signal, and probably couldn't get there without a Sat-Nav, couldn't navigate without a GPS…

As above, thank God we explored most of the planet earlier in our history, or we'd still be worshipping the turnip god to keep us safe from the scary wood beasts…..

flatfish
    Free Member

Why have so many pillocks replied to this thread? It was a serious question by the OP but so many twonks think they would have the skills to live off the land for weeks till somebody bothered to report Rambo missing. Please answer the question with a bit of sense.

porterclough
    Free Member

How far do you think you can get from a road in England? Its only a few miles in the wilds of Scotland.

The Cut Gate path is over 5 miles from any road at some points I think – I wouldn't want to be up there on my own with a broken leg as it starts getting dark at this time of year (there's snow on the tops in Derbyshire that's been there since before Christmas). I don't think the OP's question is odd at all.

I remember having a minor crash on an autumn evening on Stanage, no injuries and managed to get the bike working again, but I remember thinking then that if I'd hurt myself badly no-one would have found me until the morning, and I had no warm clothing. The fact that I was only 5 miles from the centre of Sheffield wouldn't have saved me from hypothermia. And wasn't someone rescued from a car hanging in a tree in a ravine by the A57 last year who'd been there for 2 days before being found?

All of which is not to say that I don't go out on my own, I do…

druidh
    Free Member

As this thread has already shown (I refer to Tons post of last night), a small off can result in major trauma only a short distance form home. Am I really to believe that folk on here are going out prepared for a major expedition when they are just taking a short-cut home from work?

crikey
    Free Member

…I for one am heartily sick of all the news reports about dying mountain bikers, whose bodies are only discovered years later, next to pathetic scratchings on the rock detailing their dying wish that they had thought to bring an extra jumper, an emergency locator beacon, a portable mountain shelter, a weeks supply of drinking water, a solar powered battery charger, 20 emergency flares and their mum.

Something really should be done.

westkipper
    Free Member

crikey, FFS amigo!, stop being sensitive and diplomatic and say whats on your mind 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Ok, ok, I admit I'm running with the idea and taking it too far, but you get my point of view…. 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Cycling alone in the wilderness.’ is closed to new replies.