Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cycle route from Bracknell to Guildford
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Need to ride via the Downs Link to Brighton tomorrow but I need a safe way to mtb it. Off-road would be perfect but it needs to be straight-ish as the trip is already 72 miles and it is supposed to be raining around 4.
    Anyone got any good routes ?

cinnamon_girl

Not easy, you could cut through Swinley Forest and there is MoD land but don’t think there’ll be public access. There is possibly a perimeter track from Red Road to Deepcut but there’ll be others who can advise on that. The straightest way will be on the (busy) roads.

allthepies
    Free Member

That’s quite a trip and given time constraints then the last thing you want is faffing about trying to find undefined trails, some of which may rely on MOD ranges being open. Use minor roads -> Guildford and then pick up downs link IMO.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You could pickup the River Wey navigation around Woking after picking your way there from Bracknell – as you are on a long ride anyway maybe just hit the roads or start drom Woking or Guildford if you can

TheSlider
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Checking maps now. Thinking of going down to the ‘look out’ then the A322. Is THAT fairly quiet ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve tried this. Let me get the maps out.

I think the only off-road way is to go down through the south exit of Swinley*, through Camberly and then Frimley and then across the ranges to Wood St village. However, the ranges are one of those red flag places so during a weekday you’ll probably be either arrested, shot or blown up.

However getting out of Bracknell to the South on road isn’t very pleasant at all, since the dual carriageway bit of the A322 is fast, busy and not very wide. Wouldn’t want to cycle along it at all.

ninfan
    Free Member

Swinley, barossa, jolly farmer, maultway, edge of ranges thru porridgepot to canal, along canal then tunnel under railway, back roads to pirbright and fox corner, afraid it’s patchy cycle path alongside main road from there to Guildford.

Edit, and no, the A322 is anything but fairly quiet, major dual carriageway.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s only dual carriageway until south of Lightwater. I’ve ridden it and it’s shit though. If you want direct I’d stick to roads – I’d go through Swinley, then Bagshot, Lightwater, pick up the A322 where it’s single carriageway and stick with that into Guildford.

Depends entirely on how much you’re prepared to extend the ride versus just getting there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Train looks attractive, tbh.

pacerc100
    Free Member

This could be an option depending where in Bracknell you are. Not done the first bit of the BVP so someone else may be able to advise better. Normally pick it up around Farnborough.

Pick up Blackwater valley path, California country park ?. Take this all the way to Badshot Lea.

Quick 5 minute road ride, fairly quite, and onto the North Downs, just outside Farnham. Follow it all the way to St Marthas and pick up the Downs link. Or turn off the downs just after you cross the canal at Guildford and ride the road to Bramley to pickup the downs link.

Downs link, pretty boring but as the name implies gets you to the South downs from the North downs and then drop into Brighton.

dovebiker

Can’t help north of M3, but south from Lightwater to Deepcut, Basingstoke Canal towpath to Ash, through Tongham and Seale pick up Northdowns Way, cut through Losely Estate to Peasmarsh, Tilthams Common Rd and Trunley Heath Lane to A281 – cross road to pick up Downslink. I’d only cycle the A322 if I had a deathwish.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I could ride most of that off road on fairly easy and flat tracks and paths, but I’d never be able to explain it in a month of Sunday’s, and it wouldn’t be a quick route by any means.

allthepies
    Free Member

Could do Swinley to A30 then Maultway (B3015) down to Deepcut where you get on the Basingstoke canal towpath and head to Ash where you get off towpath and ride through to Tongham. Over Hogs Back and on to North Downs way at Seale. From there you can link up to Downs Link at St Marthas/Chilworth.

Edit: Similar to dove (from above 😉 )

You would pass within 50 metres of my house on that route 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

I did this as part of a Coventry to Crawley trip, last year.
    Minor roads most of the way to Guildford, then a few trails past lakes and through parks to town.

strava trace

TheSlider
    Free Member

Fantastic advice guys. Really appreciate it. Got up and it’s rained already ! Oh well, cycling is not just for sunny days !!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cycle route from Bracknell to Guildford’ is closed to new replies.