Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • cx tyre pressures ?
  • iainc

having just stuck some new conti cx speedking 35 tyres on my Jake for some rougher stuff than the Spesh Boroughs are used to, is there much comfort gain running them a bit softer ? Usually have the Boroughs at around 65 psi. 12.5 st and not wanting pinch flats ….. 🙂

h4muf
    Free Member

I’m overly paranoid about pinch flats so like you,run ’em at 65psi.

Works for me.

hofnar
    Free Member

30 PSI is more of a CX pressure to enjoy a smmoth ride with lots of grip. Though if your ride is stony put a bit more but 60? 65 thats rock hard and would only adivse if you do mainly tarred roads.

iainc

hofnar – 65 was my starting point as that’s what I run the Boroughs at, but mainly on a mixture of tarred roads and fireroads. I got the Conti’s to use it on some tamer mtb routes just now while the trails are all gubbed with gloop and mank. Will maybe try around 50 ish then ?

rOcKeTdOg

Conti speed kings wear really quickly, very grippy though but had loads of punctures with them, ran mine “thumb hard”

iainc

rocketdog – yeah, they seem to get mixed reviews for rapid wear., but I got ’em cheap 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

About 35/40 psi. You have to have the right pressures and risk flats, performance comes first. 65 is far too harsh for CX.

clubber
    Free Member

I run my tubed cx tyres at 85psi otherwise I get pinch flats but I’m 16+stone.

tubeless I’m on 60/70 front/back

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Mine never go above 30…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Just under 30 for racing if using tubes.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I find about 50psi to work best for me; fast on road, reasonable grip offroad (for a cx tyre…) and few punctures. I only weigh 11 stone though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Even less if it’s freezing. I use tyres and at the Vets Nats my tyres were at 20psi. It was -6 and the rubber was so cold they felt solid.

Rorschach
    Free Member

First season on tubs….its ridiculous how soft you end up running them in mud.Take some getting used to the sensation but they are so much better than tubes!

sefton
    Free Member

how about Challenge Grifo’s with a 73kg rider

trail=
    race=

iainc

well I will be riding for recreation only on Sunday – big loop (Ardgartan and Rest & Be Thankful on the fireroad and Lochgoilhead path), so reckon at 12.5 stone (not in riding kit….) and with a desire to not pinch, coupled with my ineptness on my cx bike as used to the cosseting of my hardtail or 5……I will go for about 50 psi…

many thanks for the opinions.

crikey
    Free Member

I used 65-70 psi for the 3 Peaks, and tend to ride at that pressure. I’ve not done any CX races this year tho..

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I run mine about 60 psi but I don’t race – the riding I do on my CX bike is more rougher roads, fireroads, tracks, muddy paths etc. Only had one puncture this winter – last night – big piece of stone went through the tyre. I’ve not found a lack of grip a problem at 60 psi to be honest and they’re nice and quick.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

how about Challenge Grifo’s with a 73kg rider

trail=
    race=

50 odd and under 30, trail/course depending

samuri
    Free Member

100psi normally.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘cx tyre pressures ?’ is closed to new replies.