Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • CX tubeless tyre choice
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’ve been running my CX bike with tubeless setup for a while. I’ve just got some new wheels with Stans arch ex rims which seem to do what I wanted – eg give a nice wide profile to my tyres. Only issue as ever is that having had a blowout (on the other rims, hence the ‘proper’ tubeless rims), yet again, the sidewalls of my tyres have small cuts that sealant won’t seal even though they work perfectly with a tube in.

The tyres are brilliant to ride but I don’t think they’re so well suited to tubeless as the sidewalls are quite fragile.

So, what tyres are you sucessfully using for tubeless CX?

(and on the off chance, anyone want to buy two Bontrager CXR tyres that would be great for use with tubes?)

clubber
    Free Member

No one?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think you are the main proponent of this, I’ve hardly seen any threads asking, and it’s usually you answering!

You’ve looked at heavier side-wall tires and tubeless cx tyres?

pixelmix
    Free Member

No issues with Maxxis Raze on Crests here. Been running them for 6 months now. Inflate pretty easily and after the initial sealant has done its thing (after doing the Stans shake and lying the tyre on its side to seal the sidewalls) they stay up well.

Seemed to be losing air last week (had to top the rear wheel up daily) but having added some more sealant through the valve, all seems grand now.

PS – Last week’s slow puncture is only the second I can think of. The first one sealed up at the side of the road after stopping for a few minutes to let the sealant flow to the right spot.

clubber
    Free Member

There’s a few of us Al 🙂

Just wondering what actually works – heavier sidewalls may be the answer but it’s hard to really quantify.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Running tubeless on mtbs and road bikes (but not cx, I run open pros which are a nightmare to seal IME) I have found that heavier sidewalls seem to correlate with durability.

I’ve not tried any silly 200gm road tire tubeless tho.

fontmoss
    Free Member

How does tubeless compare pricewise with tubulars? if not huge differences seems a better way to go given the choices available?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘CX tubeless tyre choice’ is closed to new replies.