Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • CX bikes
  • Mounty_73

I am on the verge of buying a cx bike, I have tested a couple locally and done the usual researching etc…

Now the only one I have not looked at is the Boardman CX Comp….and the only reason is because its sold at Halfords, but as a British cycling member it would get 10% off.

Does anyone have a Boardman CX Comp?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Would you be wearing a helmet on this boardman bike?

Mounty_73

Would you be wearing a helmet on this boardman bike?Would you be wearing a helmet on this boardman bike?

I knew the first comment would be something like that…. 😉

Probably, but NOT one of those high vis jackets! 😉

but as a British cycling member it would get 10% off

I think most cycle shops will often give 10% off a new bike, if you ask nicely. So don’t make this your only buying criteria.

kilo

My Mrs has one. Quite a nice bike for the money. Minus points (which may not bother you and may be just specific to geometry of the bike for a female) having bought a small one the stock stem had to be swapped out as it was quite long and the seatpin had quite a bit of lay back leading to a bit of a stretch, both easily remedied. The stock tyres aren’t much cop off road, there is a bit of toe overlap and it feels quite heavy but that may be down to the OE cheapo wheels. Other than that it has runs well, the finish looks good and is tough and everything has worked as it should. Mrs has used it for long cx rides and cx racing and likes it so it’s a thumbs up from here.
    Halfords were ok and got the frame in so Mrs could try it for size, we did not bother taking it to halfords for any first service as it has been fine, unlike the rather badly built back wheel on my Evans’ norco.

A mate from work has also had one for a bit now and he likes his too and not had any problems.

dknwhy

I do, and have done just over 1000 miles on it.

I used the BC 10% discount on a 10% halfords discout day with quidco to get the price down to £470ish.

It’s a good bike for the money but I found it to be heavy and upgraded certain items straight away, although I think there’s nothing else out there for what I paid that is comparable.
    So far i’ve added TRP spyre brakes, Kinesis Crosslight disc wheels with continental cx speed tyres (folding)and a carbon seatpost and Charge spoon saddle. I also removed the secondary levers.

The bottom bracket went within 200 miles but I just fitted a new one myself rather than mess around taking the bike to Halfords for an easy, cheap job.

Puts total spend to around £900 – which I think is a lot but i’ve done it over several months when I could afford it and ended up with a pretty well specced bike to my own requirements. The bike rides very well now. Only addition i’d like is a carbon fork. I’ve got one lined up for next month, which will put my spend up to £950.

Halfords did a good job putting it together and were really helpful, swapping sizes for me a couple of times until I was happy (54cm medium – 5’9″ height).

Out of the box, it’s ok to ride but does feel heavy and sluggish. New wheels and tyres made a huge difference – the tyres alone knocked half a kilo off the weight! The rest of my spend is just personal taste really (and the Tektro brakes lacked a bit of stopping power and adjustment).

I’d get another one, and recommended it to my friend who rides his to work. It feels like a beefed up road bike really. I’ve used it as a secondary road bike, tourer and a bit of easy off road.

kilo

Being biased I think for the money the norco threshold is better specc’ed for cx and lighter

Jamie
    Free Member

I think most cycle shops will often give 10% off a new bike, if you ask nicely. So don’t make this your only buying criteria.

They do indeed. Got 10% off my TCX for asking nicely.

firestarter
    Free Member

Should have bought it this weekend at halfords 10% off plus your bc 10 off too as they allow you to stack oh and prebook via quidco 4.5% off too 😉 i was sorely tempted to blow cash i didn’t have this weekend so made do with a quarter off a new rack

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

They regularly do extra 10% off bikes and accessories, I had the next model up reserved, but ended up getting a saracen Hack reduced which was much better value.

Pinnacle Arkose and those Norco Thresholds come up regularly on CX threads which currently dominate STW.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Build one up. Find a deal on a frameset, some kinesis v3 cx wheels, groupset from ribble / merlin, trp spyres, etc etc throw a few more bits at it and you’ll have the bike you really want rather than a compromise bike.

Jamie
    Free Member

some kinesis v3 cx wheels

…which are not available.

firestarter
    Free Member

I built mine up from mix of old and new. Budget and less so. Got me a nice enough bike with good important bits and scope to upgrade bits as and when. It was much cheaper too

kilo

some kinesis v3 cx wheels

Are these such a bargaain. they seem to be about £270ish; ailerons on shimano xt were only about thirty quid more built up

cloudnine
    Free Member

OP.. pick Jamies brain on current CX bikes.. he has looked at a lot of available bikes and probably tried most of them. Theres a wealth of opinions and knowledge on stw. The kinesis wheels are a great value light wheelset, suprisingly strong, tubeless ready.. and out of stock 😆

£225 @ Winstanleys
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/67027/Kinesis_CrossLight_CXDisc_V3_Wheelset_UPGW2SETCXV3S?gclid=CLDM9_PS4cECFaMIwwodzWQAEg

Jamie
    Free Member

Are these such a bargaain. they seem to be about £270ish; ailerons on shimano xt were only about thirty quid more built up

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/content/kinesis-crosslight-disc-wheels-any-good

….not in the country for a while, tho.

kilo

Jamie – Freeloader!

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/content/kinesis-crosslight-disc-wheels-any-good

….not in the country for a while, tho.

Paolo built the ailerons for me, £240 (usually £245 but he was doing four wheels) with two loops of stans tape and I just supplied the hubs

twonks

I have a boardman comp and echo most of the comments already posted.

Bought mine as I wanted a road bike that wasn’t just a road bike. 1 to get fit riding circuits round a racetrack and one to play around blue routes at trail centres and also to have a blast on broken roads etc.

TBH it was very good round Rutland water off road but is rather poor as an out and out road bike.

Very heavy imo and the brakes are poop.

Doesn’t stop it being a good bike, but it depends entirely what it is to be used for.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If you are after a small size theres an Pinnacle Arkose 1 on evans for £549
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-one-2014-cyclocross-bike-small-soiled–ec075921

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘CX bikes’ is closed to new replies.