Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cutting a Carbon bar?
  • Kryton57

Safe to do outside with a facemask on?

Regarding the saw, is the fine toothed hacksaw I used for my Ally bars/fork ok;

Any other precautions I should take so as not to damage it?

Thanks

wwaswas

yes, outside with a facemask. Use a new blade.

I’d check if there are any additional EU laws that might make cutting carbon tubes in the uk illegal, though 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

I just don’t understand this.What exactly is going to happen to you if you cut it indoors.There not cyanide based are they ?.A dust mask for gods sake.Do you work in IT or some other pussy foot job.Just cut the bloody thing.. 😀

kilo

When I’ve cut carbon steerers I’ve put a bit of super glue along the cut edge, supposedly stops any splintering

Kryton57

robhughes, I read stuff about carbon dust but I don’t know anything about that, doesn’t hurt to check.

wwaswas, I’ve tweeted to LBC97.3 FM to check.

Kilo nice tip, thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I mark a ring then cut all the way around it to avoid splitting.

oldnick

I cut mine in the kitchen with a fine hacksaw blade and no mask, admittedly I swept up later, must be getting paranoid.

Infact 2 carbon steerers, one set of carbon bars and some thin carbon plate, not died yet 🙂

rusty90
    Free Member

What exactly is going to happen to you if you cut it indoors.There not cyanide based are they ?.

Carcinogenic, like asbestos. You really don’t want to inhale the dust.

robhughes
    Free Member

Not in the same league as azzy.Paranoia setting in. 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dremel.And HAZMAT gear (just be sure).

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Jubilee clip

andyl
    Free Member

I’d do it outside just because the black dust gets everwhere.

I cut lots and lots of carbon fibre (talking 1-2″ thick sections) routinely for testing. The main reason for this is to prevent mess and stop you getting in trouble with the OH for walking in carbon dust.

Mark a ring all the way round.
    Clamp it carefully (i’d go for the wooden jaws on a workmate or something similarly gentle).
    Put some newspaper down to stop you getting black marks on the patio that your cat will walk in (if you have one)
    Use a sprinking/spray of water where you are cutting to capture the dust.
    Use a fine saw with light pressure to prevent splitting (or if you have a diamond wheel tile cutter they are ideal)
    Clean up with damp and soapy kitchen roll and dispose of in the newspaper. If you want to get the dust out of the middle give them a blast through with the hosepipe over the grass.

Now if you are attacking a big chunk of wing/wind turbine with an angle grinder then disposable suit, mask and goggles are a good idea!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Clamp it carefully in your stem
    jubilleeeeee clip to mark where to cut and stop splintering
    get his lordship to do it, got all the ppe

Kryton57

I’ve got a black n decker work box. It’ll be fine.

Might not cut it – see other thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cutting a Carbon bar?’ is closed to new replies.