Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Custom online mapping
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Who knows about mapping?

If I wanted to create an online map, lets say of the local area that gives our cycling club a discount, how would I go about this?

Ideally the map will be public and displayed on our website as I want non-members to see the benefits and I want the shops to see we are listing them.

To start with it’ll be managed by me but later it’ll be managed by a number of people.

Is Google maps best or should I be looking at open street map or maybe something else

Advice and general info appreciated

bencooper
    Free Member

Like these kinds of things?

Maps

Google Earth for them, with a website plugin to display them.

gregsd
    Free Member

You could use something like Mango Maps

matt_outandabout

I use Google Maps, combined with Google Forms, linked by Google Fusion.

We have just developed a couple of simple maps: one highlights schools taking part in a project across the UK, the other is live database of providers of wood and fallen trees for play.

The Play Tree Finder has a simple Google Form to fill in for suppliers, it then live updates a map, with contact information etc on for schools to browse.

It is easy to sort – the Google apps all just interact simply, and there are script libraries out there you can copy and paste in should you need it to be cleverer…

thepodge
    Free Member

Pretty much exactly what Bencooper has shown, Matt’s sound fancy but probably too fancy for this and Greg’s looks ok but I think Google can cover it.

Is there a specific term I should be googling as I seem to be coming up blank on tutorials and where to start

matt_outandabout

Ben’s and mine look rather similar…

The page content a work in progress, map does work, as does you lot entering info on next page.

http://www.ltl.org.uk/spaces/PlayTreeMap.php

thepodge
    Free Member

I really like your idea there and yes they do look very similar, its exactly what I’m after but without the background features

bencooper
    Free Member

I suppose the fundamental question is how do you want the map updated? Are you doing it yourself occasionally so it’s basically a static map, or do you want website users to be able to add to it?

Mine is static – created on the desktop Google Earth app, exported as a kml file. Then displayed on my WordPress site using the Google-Maps-GPX-Viewer plugin.

thepodge
    Free Member

It’ll be managed by me, perhaps in the future other people could update it but I cant see that happening for a while.

Just found a tutorial, seems the only requirement is a google account in the club’s name

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Custom online mapping’ is closed to new replies.