Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • curtis bikes
  • sakimoto333
    Free Member

anybody had/own a curtis bike?

lookin at xc model.

is the full 853 noticable?

cheers for any info.

Edric64
    Free Member

candodavid is the one to ask about Curtis

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cando’s full 853 is very nice.

travellingman
    Free Member

Unless you’re swapping identical components from one frame to another it’s impossible to attribute differences in ‘feel’ to the frame. 853 has a lovely finish (internal milling) but that’s about all I could establish.

I’d buy the T45 if I were you, as the most important thing being the quality of construction which with Curtis, is pretty high, by all accounts.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Curtis 853 Singlespeed, owned mine now for 2 years.
    4.06 lb frame weight, Originally built with Reba world cup at 100mm travel, then run with 115mm Reba team with a bit more sag. In it’s current guise it’s run with RC31 Ti rigids.
    71/73 angles make it very traditional XC geometry, had mine built with a 23.75″ top tube this make it a tad more stretched, but allows me to open myself up more when climbing.
    The stays are full 853 and the ride is fantastic, nice and stiff around BB, but it truly feels as if the rear floats over so much of the smaller trail obstacles.

Would I change anything ?
    Yes , the disc tabs are currently being changed to slotted to aid in caliper placement.

Would I recommend one?
    Yes, it was worth every penny, but make sure you are in the knowledge that if it’s custom get as much experience of what you want before you order. I took measurement from all sorts of bikes I had previously ridden and worked out how I wanted it to handle.

The Curtis I have is fantastic on tight twisty singletrack, nice and balanced in weight between the wheels, I have never ridden it and not ended up with a smile on my face, even at the end of 6 hour ride on Mendip.

Original Guise

Current Guise, but now has salsa pro moto flat bars

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I had one of the very first SuperX frames to be built back in about 1999. Truly awesome frame. Managed to track down its current owner a couple of years back and occassionally pester him to sell me it back. Which reminds me, its been a while – I’ll drop him a mail sometime 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

I emailed them a few weeks back regarding a custom frame – never got a reply. I’ve since seen them for sale on CRC.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I bought one (a freeride frame), built it up (as a singletrack steed) and didn’t get on with it (funny that).

However, for its designed purpose I would imagine it’s great – a short stem, big forks and dropped saddle would reveal its true colours – but for I wanted it for it’s a little short. The workmanship is gorgeous though.

Would I buy another one? Absolutely, but I’d get it made from scratch. And if you want to buy mine it’s up up for sale. 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Saw yours on SDH – if it was a 16″ I’d have been seriously interested!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The freeride frames look whack. Dead steep head angle (71 degrees!!!!) and the bb looks too high. Also, why do there dirt frames (like the Superx) have dead long stays?

The rest of the frames look pretty good apart from the old downhill frame which also had **** geometry.

I imagine the build quality is top notch though

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The freeride frames look whack. Dead steep head angle (71 degrees!!!!)

It’s a custom. Which means you can have whatever you like, you know!? 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s a custom. Which means you can have whatever you like, you know!?

thats not what it used to say on there website

Candodavid
    Free Member

Woodsman, Gary is in between houses atm believed due to personal reasons, give him a ring and he will be in touch, he just works on Somerset time…relaxed and slower

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Ultimately it is a custom however Gary recommends 71 degrees, on my Freeride it was just too steep if you were riding anywhere outside The Fens, which was a great shame as it was brilliant on natural, twisty singletrack, one of my best memories was a wet weekend at Drumlanrig on it.

As others have said the quality and finish of the brazing on it was a thing of beauty.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mundiemiester – I think I may have your frame…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Daveyboywonder – heh! Isn’t it always the way? 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Typical. But also probably the best thing for my wallets sake!

Edric64
    Free Member

I’d buy the T45 if I were you

If you want a heavy frame, 953s the stuff if you are minted!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘curtis bikes’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM