Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Currency transfer services
  • suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I need to transfer a large sum (a few £k) to the missus in France.
    Has anyone used a competetive service they can recommend?
    Ta

P-Jay
    Free Member

International bank transfers through your bank aren’t expensive – you just need the IBAN number as I recall.

mendippete
    Free Member

transferwise.com

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve used currencyfair.com, and like it. Probably similar to transferwise (which I haven’t used) but much cheaper than using a bank – minimal fees and mid-market exchange rates, as it’s peer to peer, but facilitated by currencyfair so simple to use.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

International bank transfers through your bank aren’t expensive – you just need the IBAN number as I recall.

First Direct were extortionate for me, rubbish rate & a high fee.
    Used transfer-wise, got an email off the recipient a few hours later saying they had the money. Excellent service. Will use again in a few weeks to pay for some accommodation.

DrJ

Another vote for TransferWise and another vote against First Direct, for the reasons stated above, and also because with TW you can do the transaction yourself on the internet and check the numbers before you press send, rather than have a conversation with some telephone droid in East Kilbride and rely on your ears and dodgy accent.

jambalaya
    Free Member

For a few £k I just use my bank hsbc

Others I know like Transfer Wise very much as oer all the recommendations above

doug_basqueMTB.com

Transfer wise seems to be really popular with our guests. Never had any problems using it.

DrJ

For a few £k I just use my bank hsbc

Yeah – for pocket change it doesn’t make much difference.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Transferwise it is!
    Just sent a sample transfer to check it out.
    Getting 1.1725 on a tfr of £500. (actual rate 1.1767) so not too shabby at all, even on pocket change… The post office was offering 1.14, so I’ve saved four pints …

cornholio98
    Free Member

For me if I use transfer wise there is a limit to the quick and easy transfer. Up to $5000 there are no question s asked . Above that then there are a load of forms and annoyance. You can still do multiple smaller transfers it’s just a pain.
    I used to use hifx for the larger transfers but then because it am in usa they won’t touch me (could be reason for extra checks for large sums too)

poolman
    Free Member

Thats a good rate the currencyfair mkt is shut for the weekend but i have a 1.17 bid on that has not yet been taken. 3e transfer fee. Looks like tw wins. Well done

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yeah – for pocket change it doesn’t make much difference.

Can’t resist a trolling attempt eh ?

HBSC preferential rates & fees and same bank both ends

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Currency transfer services’ is closed to new replies.