Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Crud road guards or sks race blades?
  • geoffj

I’m going to put some guards on the road bike tomorrow. Which of these two are better?

TiRed

Race blades every time! Snapped the stay on my sons crud guards whilst re-fitting them. Removal is a pain because they are zip-tied to the brake.

Race blades by contrast are beautifully designed, removed in seconds and work just as well. I rode 40 miles with mine yesterday. Just wish I’d bought the same for son1. I’ll be replacing his cruds with SKS.

You get what you pay for – except for the cruds, which I think are HUGELY overpriced compared with the blades, from a manufacturing perspective.

PS get black – they look classier and match the tyres.

druidh
    Free Member

Crud Road Racer every time. Fitting is a dawdle and the coverage is miles better.

I have a pair of each and the Race Blades never get used.

Jamie
    Free Member

There might be some pertinent info in the thread I started the other day.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

There might be some pertinent info in the thread I started the other day.

There isnt actually

Cruds for me every time

I can only think djaustin works for SKS!!

There is no comparison in terms of functionality as a mudguard especially if riding in a group although the raceblades are a little more portable as he said

The cruds really are bl00dy good
    I was thinking of a winter road bike before losing my job but TBH even if I had some spare cash Id give it another few weeks as they really are that good

Cheers

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

mtfu

crikey
    Free Member

Crud road guards every time.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Crud guards mkII, They are easy to fit and are aesthetically better than normal full guards.

STATO
    Free Member

Snapped the stay on my sons crud guards whilst re-fitting them. Removal is a pain because they are zip-tied to the brake.

How the hell did you snap a stay, were you using a hammer to fit them?
    As for the Zip-tie, you realise they are re-usable ones? and can be removed/refitted in seconds.

Had SKS, provide little to no coverage, might keep your bum a bit dry but your feet and everyone else around you will get soaked, plus they dont stop the spray firing up into your face like the Cruds.

Main problem with the cruds is they dont like big tyres, mine jam against the tyre if i fit a 25mm, tho i do have a tight clearance frame so this is probably the problem.

mooman
    Free Member

i got the new Cruds. Superb. Not too bad looking either ….for mudguards anyways…

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I have no experience of the Crud, but I did have a pair of SKS and was thoroughly unimpressed. Offered only minimal protection and rubbed the paint off my frame.

edhornby

quick question, my commuter has an old 27in frame that I have a 700c (fixed gear) back wheel in, which would fit best ?

jezzag
    Free Member

Word of warning on the race blades. Had a v. similar mudguard on my winter road bike (Flinger: http://tinyurl.com/39hkwu2 – they look identical but of course many not be), never happy with their swaying so got into the habit of checking them for tightness etc.

Despite that, was riding along one day, next thing I knew I was on the tarmac. Front guard had come loose and slipped down onto the tyre locking the front wheel and throwing me over the handlebars.

A few weeks later Edinburgh Bicycle (where I bought them) wrote to say that had stopped selling them and were recalling all they had sold due to ‘problems experienced by some riders’. Presumably I wasn’t the only one to hit the road.

Northwind

SKS Cromoplastics for me, they’re huge and they make the bike look like a shopper but they’re the most effective and that’s what counts for me.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have used both.My SKS are a few years old and eventutually had to use grub screws and zip ties on them to stop them rattling.Again did mark the frame up pretty badly!Worked ok.Just fitted the Crud’s and been out twice.The coverage is impressive! It is like having a full guard on your bike (it is a full guard!)A doddle to fit considering you open the box and they look pretty scary! So far the Crud’s are favourite!
    Thanx Max

Philby

Cruds – especially good where there is minimal clearance under the fork and seat stays crowns. Easy to fit and take off. Suggest wrapping some electrical tape around the forks and seat stays to protect them from abrasion if tiny particles of grit get caught behind the rubber bands.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Geoff

I have just purchased some crud mk2 s and will be fitting them next weekend, will be interested to hear how you get on. pics?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Oh I’m glad someone has asked this question as I have been looking at getting some guards for the winter and after being warned off race blades by people who tried them and hated having them, I was looking for an alternative, Crud’s it is for me then

geoffj

Bugger – I can’t find the cruds in my newly tidy garage. I suspect that they may be the first editions, as I’ve had them a while, so I may need to see mr crud for an upgrade.

Now WTF did I put the sodding things grrrrrr

TiRed

Some replies:

I was adjusting the curvature to fit a 651 wheel, and it snapped – also snapped off the small extension guard that fits under the bridge. I was not impressed for £25. Also I frequently have to remove them for racing duties, and the zip-tie is a pain, as is the nasty elastic loops around the stays. If you fit them in October and remove them in May, you may as well buy normal guards and P clips.

By contrast, I normally remove the SKS guards just to put the bike in the car. I wouldn’t think of doing this for the cruds. My bike has no paint to rub. 8)

As for coverage, As long as my back is dryish, I’m happy, and I was happy on Friday in 2hrs of rain… I’ll be buying another set, unless Crud have a spare stay.

Del

crud do say they’ll replace the stays for the cost of a stamp. check their site.
    if you don’t want them anymore then i’ll have ’em though? happy to help…

speaker2animals

I currently have SKS on my Planet X Carbon Superlight. Considering how little of them there is I think personal protection isn’t too bad TBH. Not brill for riders behind and for stopping front mech, rear brake etc getting coated. My dislike – the rear rattles like crazy and has marked up my rear brake caliper. Not matter how tight I make the straps the bloody things tend to move and I end up with tyre rub. Another pro is – the guys I ride with all have at least one bike with full guards. The downside of these is that on crud covered roads one or more quite often get something up inside dragging. I never get that with the SKS as they mount further away from the tyre.

As I have a temporary job starting tomorrow I am planning on getting some Crud MkIIs when I get paid. Certainly think that they are worth a try because of them fitting under the brakes and giving more coverage. I am expecting to get the same problem as with proper full guards. Possibly worse as no doubt the tyre/guard clearance will be less.

I’ll let you know.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Crud road guards or sks race blades?’ is closed to new replies.