Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Cropton Forest Assault
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

“I think we’ve all been there at some point.”

Not even close 🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

fenderextender
    Free Member

^^^

Me neither. I’ve had less than a handful of red-faced frothers berate me in nearly 20 years of riding. All ignored bar one who called me a very rude word. It was so out of proportion that all I could do was burst out laughing. This did not please him. I carried on with my day.

🤷‍♂️

dyna-ti

It’s far more than a “bit of psychological damage

Oh sorry, i didnt realize we needed to put in a sliding scale of physiological damage, it was just a statement of fact, rather than that of opinion.

But while we’re here maybe you could tell me on this sliding scale what you should think it should be. As bad as rape, or being in a house fire and losing family, or during a fight where we dont fully know the belligerence of both parties, getting punched in the face.

So was he just walking there, or did they catch him stringing a bit of barbed wire across the track, or littering the trail with obstacles like old trees or rocks. Because we do know that goes on, and it sure as heck isnt other cyclists doing it.

But thats pure speculation, because we dont know.

This guy thought he’d moved to his rural idyll, and some entitled thug has taken offence at being told not to do something he probably shouldn’t have been doing, pinned an old man to the ground

Sorry, hadn’t read any of that anywhere. So is that what happened then 😕 They only had the story in the Yorkshire post, without any of the facts you’re saying happened.

Anyway, my point was just a statement of fact, without prejudice, so please dont go off blaming me and implying im all for his assault or minimizing it.

ElShalimo

Stay classy

Caher

Didn’t King Charlie give some mountain bikers a beating up in his estate recently or did I watch some YouTube video just before bed?

fenderextender
    Free Member

Pretty sure it was a nice chat – the one in Scotland certainly was. 🤷‍♂️

Poopscoop

fenderextender
    Free Member
    ^^^

Me neither. I’ve had less than a handful of red-faced frothers berate me in nearly 20 years of riding. All ignored bar one who called me a very rude word. It was so out of proportion that all I could do was burst out laughing. This did not please him. I carried on with my day.

Only been one occasion I thought I was going to get battered and that was in one of my SDW attempts a few years back. On one of the few road sections a going guy got out of his car, shouted at me that “I think I own the F*****road!” I was basically getting ready to get smacked as we walked towards me ranting. I haven’t punched anyone since school and he totally deserved it. I don’t do fighting.

Then the Universes Dildo Boomerang of Doom intervened!

I think he was plastered and he hadn’t put his hand brake on… His car rolled back, off the road, across the path and into some bushes! He had to jump in the door whilst it was moving and cut himself up!

It was extraordinary. I went and asked if he was ok and then I carried on… With my failed STW attempt.

I love the STW, happy memories.😁

slowoldman

So was he just walking there, or did they catch him stringing a bit of barbed wire across the track, or littering the trail with obstacles like old trees or rocks.

Well perhaps the 3 riders would like to pop into a police station and put their side of events.

I think we’ve all been there at some point.

Nope.

I am really struggling to understand the attitude of some on here.

Not just me then.

kayak23

Didn’t King Charlie give some mountain bikers a beating up in his estate recently or did I watch some YouTube video just before bed?

Was a pleasant chat.

Caher

Yea, I was joking.

kayak23

👍

CountZero

I’ve had walkers get pissy with me when I used to ride the towpath along the Kennet & Avon Canal, the one that was restored long before the canal was, by a Bristol outfit called Cyclebag, now Sustrans.
    I’ve had a bloke get mouthy after I asked if I could get past him and his family, who were filling the width of the path, actually telling me I was riding too fast! How he knew that is difficult to say, ‘cos I’d been sitting behind them at the same speed for about fifty metres, before I spoke.
    I was a Sustrans Ranger at the time, so I knew the protocols about how to use the path. I had others get shitty because I rang my bell, or it was too loud and I was being rude and insulting by announcing my presence, or called out “excuse me”, and I was wrong for not using my bell. 🤷🏼

People who want to be assholes will be, and they’ll find any pretext to kick off, and find any excuse to justify it. Riding footpaths in the countryside is a trespass, and a landowner is perfectly within their rights to ask someone on a bike to get off and push it. There are routes that are permissive, but that just means they can be closed at any time by the landowner.
    It’s their land.

I’ve ridden footpaths for years, and never had any issues, but if I’d been approached and asked not to ride a particular route, then I’d have been respectful and done as asked.
    That was from around 1988, when I bought my first bike, and nobody payed me any attention, other than one American tourist who asked “hey, is that a mountain bike?”; it was the first he’d ever seen!

kerley
    Free Member

I have been hit before – a little old woman with a big stick whacked me on the arm as I passed her on 3 metre wide gravel path.  Left a cut and a bruise which took a few weeks to totally heal.

It was a path where cycling was allowed but I was riding like a dick – going downhill too fast and not able to completely come to a stop (brakeless fixed gear off road) so I accepted it was my fault and sort of got what I deserved but may not have felt the same if the stick hit me right in the face but then she wouldn’t have felt the same if I had collided with her which she no doubt felt I may do.

Bloody cyclists.

funkmasterp

Well this has somehow got worse since page two. Nobody knows what happened FFS. An old man was severely beaten. How is that excusable at all. Unless the old guy pulled a knife or was attacking someone there is no excuse for what happened to him. Even then the severity of his injuries is extreme.

Shit behaviour by a coward is what it is. If the police don’t find him you can rest assured he’ll cross the wrong person one day. There are two many angry people these days. I’ve encountered a few and normally laugh and walk away. Regrettably I’ve had to deal with violence a few times in my life and I’m quite capable of switching off and going a bit feral. Strangely makes it easier to stay calm and walk away now I’m older. Knowing what I could do but am mature and reasonable enough not to.

Some of you need to step away from your keyboards after taking another look at that old man’s face.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.