Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Croatia for family holiday? Talk to me.
  • MrSparkle

I’m thinking about going to Croatia next year for a hol. My rough game plan is to rent an apartment and get a flight over. Probably Dubrovnic.
    So… there’ll be me and the missus and 3 teenage kids – I’ll be happy with a bit of sunshine and some ‘cultcher’, will there be stuff to do for the kids? Is it likely to be not too expensive? Is it a good place to go? etc etc.
    All advice gratefully recieved.
    Ta,
    Sparkle

MrSparkle

Oh come on, somebody musta been!

backhander
    Free Member

Not been to dubrovnik but have been to split, opatija and brac island. Loved brac the best, loads to do (watersports mainly) but the only real cultural tourist spot is the dominican monastery. Puscica, bol and sutevan are all worth visiting with day trips to the other islands (hvar etc) worth visiting. Split has loads of history and is very nice but any more than a couple of days would be too much for me. Hope this helps.

Android
    Free Member

We stayed near Buje in the north last half term, it was fantastic, we had a house with a pool which kept the kids occupied most of the time, I rented a bike and did loads of road riding in the mountains, there are a lot of MTB routes as well. We also drove round to Venice and spent a couple of days there which was great.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Been to Dubrovnik loads, my Mum was born there. Amazing place, the Old Town is spectacular, loads of history and culture to soak up. Restaurants are good, bars are pretty good. Quite expensive there now, it used to be really cheap, but now much the same as Italy, France those places. Beaches are okay, there’s not that many of them and they are all stones, no sand and overcrowded.

For the teenagers the beaches and watersports will probably keep them busy during the day and there’s enough bars and a few nightclubs for them at night.

Take your biggest sunglasses too, there’s loads of crumpet there to look at (-:

Blatant plug – my brother has a holiday home for rent in the Old Town:

apartments-dubrovnik.com

beanum

We went to Split and Hvar last year. It was fantastic, Hvar Town is beautiful. We took a boat trip one day, hired a small boat the next day, lazed on the beach etc. There’s a mini Ibiza vibe there with some really cool bars BUT that’s all great stuff for a couple… I’m not sure what teenagers would make of it, I guess it all depends on how old they are and what they’re into..

MrSparkle

Merci, some good stuff there.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Hi we went last year for 2 weeks and it’s one of the most beautiful places i’ve ever been too, and i’ve been fortunate to do some travelling!

We had a week on a small cruise boat around the coast / islands from Dubrovnic, visiting Hvar, Korcula (sp?) and Slano which was really good, then a week on the outskirts of Dubrovnic (Grand Palace) which was a ten minute bus ride into town away. We went in Sept and the weather was very good and had a great time. Would recommend it to anyone.

Relatively cheap as not in the Euro zone. We, as a couple were eating out with drinks and 2 courses for about £20 per night. Obviously more with a bigger family. The walled city is spectacular, lots of nice restaurants and bars, and take a look down all the small alleyways – lots of good finds down there! Can’t wait to go back!As stated above, beaches are small pebbles but not too bad. Lots of history and very interesting place.

And yes agreed with ridethelikes, lots of pretty chics about so take your sun glasses to go in ‘stealth mode’ 😛

couple of pics from Dubrovnic;

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Croatia for family holiday? Talk to me.’ is closed to new replies.