Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Criminals not able to claim criminal injuries compensation?
  • RustySpanner

So, if a 60 odd year old with a single, spent conviction many years ago gets beaten whilst being burgled, they won’t be able to obtain compensation?

What a wonderful administration this is………..

Ah well, nice to see Ken Clarke showing his true colours yet again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, if a 60 odd year old with a single, spent conviction many years ago gets beaten whilst being burgled, they won’t be able to obtain compensation?

Hardly. For example, from the Beeb;

Under the current scheme, if a conviction is spent – it happened a considerable amount of time ago – or if a person was not jailed for more than 30 months, they can claim compensation.

If a conviction is not spent – more recent or more serious – then compensation can still be claimed, but it may be reduced.

In future, however, a person with a criminal record will only be able to claim compensation in exceptional circumstances.

This could include, for example, a minor offender who is very seriously injured or a criminal who prevents someone else being attacked.

Which I think most would agree is better than;

In one minor injuries case, a claimant received a four-figure sum for “temporary mental anxiety” after being hit over the head with a bunch of flowers.

Drac

You’ve not read anything about it then. Go back read about it and you’ll see the your errors.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think the OP is 100% right. Hang the bloody lot of them!!!

RustySpanner

On the contrary, I’ve read a lot about it.

The official statement is due at 3.30, but the Govt seem to be backtracking already.

Who defines the exceptional circumstances?

crankboy
    Free Member

Gesture politics and made up or dishonestly expressed bollocks:-

“In one minor injuries case, a claimant received a four-figure sum for “temporary mental anxiety” after being hit over the head with a bunch of flowers”

smells worse than Theresa May’s cat flap. Criminal convictions can already reduce or bar payments.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d be happy to see any compensation paid out where warranted

But, if those receiving it have previously had convictions themselves which resulted in compensation being paid to others, they need to settle that bill before trousering the cash

br
    Free Member

Does that mean that, for example, once Chris Huhne is convicted he won’t be able to claim?

sadmadalan

That’s the trouble with making up rules, there are always exceptions!

This is designed to address the point where convicted criminals have attempted to or claimed compensation for injuries incurred while committing a crime or in prison. However either it has been badly reported or ineptly framed!

In any case why should the state provide compensation for a crime that the state did not commit! If you or I are mugged, why should the state pay money to us for your injuries. The state will fix you (NHS) and provide you with income (benefits) if you are injured or can’t work.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they should have an amount deducted to pay for their victims but it is more knee jerk reactionary nonesense from the Tories …..i suspect we will hear birching and stocks mentioned by the end of the year.

I am not happy that Huntley can claim but then again he is not happy the prison officers were not able to maintain his safety whilst under 24 hour secure accomodation without liberty.

If that flowers one is for real the issue is with a system that pays out for this “injury” not who claims.

FuzzyWuzzy

Are there any more details on the bunch of flowers story coming out? It does sound like one of those Daily Mail headline grabbers where reality doesn’t match but the beeb seemed happy enough repeating the story on every bulletin I listened to on the way to work this morning

jota180
    Free Member

but then again he is not happy the prison officers were not able to maintain his safety whilst under 24 hour secure accomodation without liberty

I’m happy he’s not happy

maccruiskeen

In any case why should the state provide compensation for a crime that the state did not commit! If you or I are mugged, why should the state pay money to us for your injuries.

You know how the courts issue fines in criminal cases, well that and the money from the proceeds of crime act is all pooled together, then shredded, then burnt, then the ashes are mixed with sour milk, allowed to curdle and resultant smelly mess if launched into an active volcano.

konabunny
    Free Member

“In one minor injuries case, a claimant received a four-figure sum for “temporary mental anxiety” after being hit over the head with a bunch of flowers”

bollocks claim is bollocks

– Teresa May’s cat
    – Christmas banned
    – St George’s Cross banned
    – criminals get paid thousands for being hit with flowers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Criminals not able to claim criminal injuries compensation?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM