Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Creaking Orange 5
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

I’m getting a bit frustrated with this now, Maybe the singletrack masses can help me….

Makes a horrible creaking when peddling under pressure (going up hill, high gear etc) and does so when in and out of saddle
    Doesn’t make any noise if I just compress the suspension.

I have changed the pedals and bottom bracket, cleaned and changed the seat post and clamp.

Am I just left with the pivot bearings, but I would have though they would make noise if I compressed the suspension..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Z.

Hadge
    Free Member

Did you clean and grease the chainring bolts? They dry out and bind on the rings and once cleaned and then greased up hey presto no noise.

seanodav
    Free Member

just did the pivot bearings on my pitch, they only creaked under load and were silent when pushing down on the saddle.
    A mates orange 5 had a creak, it turned out to be the raceface cranks undoing themselves (faulty)

scuttler

Deffo the rear skewer assuming you have quick release. You can try removing and cleaning it and the drop outs and reattaching to see if the problem goes away temporarily. Alternatively if you have another bike swap the skewer from that to see if it goes away. A few on here have put a 10mm skewer in but that requires some extra hub parts (axle I think). See http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/creaking-orange-5-solved

RichPenny
    Free Member

Was the rear QR on mine, needs to be bastard tight to avoid the creak. Could also be the shock mounts.

ivantate
    Free Member

TFTuned heavy duty shock mounts solved it on mine.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Prizes go to Scuttler and Richpenny!

Changed the QR and its gone, thanks so much for the help!

Did also clean refit the pivot bearings, which wasn’t as scary as I thought i would be, good thing to have learnt for future I guess!

Thanks again

Z.

Wookster

Yep QR on mine too!

bigdonx
    Free Member

I too have the creak, exactly the same symptoms – but no QR on the rear…..I was thinking it was BB, was just about to order a new one, but may have to investigate further…….

Lummox

Pro 2 axle snapped on my five with maxle, creak you describe

Popocatapetl

Take an angle grinder to it. That will stop the creak….. 😆

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks to the responses on this thread my mates Orange Five that was creaking like an annoying creaky thing was solved when we pulled over at the trail side popped out his hope rear skewer oiled it with my emergency oil pot popped it back in and ahhh peace and quiet. My mate thought I was the dogs danglies and that I had thought about the solution myself so I kept up the pretence till the end of the ride then spilled the beans.
    Thanks STW 🙂

forzafkawi
    Free Member

+1 for the rear QR as well! Didn’t matter how tight I did it up including lubing it, it still creaked. Changed it for a Shimano Deore one I think and now totally silent. Go figure? 😀

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Chainring bolts, like Hadge says. They were the culprips on my creaking Heckler.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.