Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Creaking gravity dropper
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Just back from what was almost a perfect trip to Dumfries. We rode Kirroughtree, mabie, Dalbeattie and Drumlanrig all of which were great fun, but.. my gravity dropper sounded like it was about to snap in half every time I pedalled. Everything works ok, there is some front to back play, so maybe it needs new shims?!

Has anyone had this problem and solved it? Other than the noise it was a very handy piece of kit which really enhanced my riding. It is six months old by the way.

khani
    Free Member

first grease the clamp, and then undo the little coller and press the button to drop the post but pull it out instead and clean and regrease the shaft and shims
    if you need new shims gd take paypal and send within a week normally

khani
    Free Member

service instuctions here

Technical and Maintenance Support

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have followed the instructions for maintainance, but still creaking. Unfortunately there is nothing on the website for creaking like a bagstard! I guess I will give them a call, but was wondering if anyone else had had the same problem?

khani
    Free Member

when mine creaked it was the seatclamp, strip and clean and a tiny bit of grease sorted it
    sure its not the saddle rails, i had a creak and after stripping and cleaning everything it was the saddle, different saddle and it went

Bagstard
    Free Member

Khani, I did remove and clean all the seating assembly, but still it creaked. I will try another saddle and see what happens.

khani
    Free Member

if the play dosnt reduce when you tighten the coller it may be the shims, i got some direct from gd in a week, i'v a couple spare if your stuck/in a rush, you can also buy a new shaft with shims installed for about £35ish i got a 1nch and 4inch drop post to replace the 4inch only drop, takes seconds to fit
    mine has a tiny bit of play thats not noticable when riding if yours is more wobbly it could be the shims
    email gd,i got very quick replys (remembering the time diffrance) they are most helpfull

Bagstard
    Free Member

Thanks khani, I will get in touch with them, although there isn't actually
    that much play.. better check the saddle first!

zinger
    Free Member

are you sure its not your saddle rails creaking where they go into the saddle ? – thats the only place i get creaks on my gravity dropper setup..

Bagstard
    Free Member

zinger I haven't had a chance to look yet, but it will be the first thing I check.

singlespeedstu

Had a few creaky moments with mine.
    First time it was the seatrail clamp and second time it was the lower part of the post creaking in the frame.
    Both times a clean and grease sorted it.

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

A creak develped in mine too, but it has lots of play and is ready for some new shims and I think that's why it's creaking. HOw old is your GD? Check the roundness of your bolt holes, but saddle sound like it might be the culprit if not much movement in gd

redmoosefaction
    Free Member

Hi, Don't know how to PM you.

Do you have the pike's coming up for sale soon. Which model are they and how much do you think you want for them?

adam

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Creaking gravity dropper’ is closed to new replies.