Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • CRC Marathon for first event?
  • hammy7272
    Free Member

Never done anything like this before but would like a challenge and hope it will be fun. My fitness is O.K and just wondered if people had any tips for the event, training and distance?

thanks in advance

aidso
    Free Member

I did the Selkirk leg last year, having never done anything like this before. I am a competitive (mtb)club cyclist but those distances barely make it into the double figures and while I had done a few road sportive’s in the past, I had never done any major distance on the MTB.
    I signed up for the 50KM figuring it was a good challenge – not the smallest distance but not the longest either and was over the moon. My climbing skills are pretty good and I can beat out a good rhythm but descending is always a shocker for me. Subsequently, on some of the descents I was like a child who had just found his balance for the first time, but patience is everything.

For training, I would say gradually build up to the distance you are planning on doing while increasing the intensity. If you have never cycled that far before, don’t attempt to ace it on your first training session as you’ll probably wreck yourself. On the Marathon site there are a few training plans but everyone is different. I’d say take her easy, drink plenty and most importantly enjoy it. CRC run a good operation at these events.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Excellent, yes I was inbetween 50K and 75K I think. I have probably done around 40K three or four times before so do you think there is enough time to build up to 75K? Also are they really competitive or just fun, I have a an one on 456 and don’t want to stand out like a sore thumb! 😳

aidso
    Free Member

Well for reference it took me 4hours30 and I stopped for about 30mins for a good rest – there were whippets doing the same distance in just over 2 and a half hours, so it takes all sorts. Some people bring sandwiches and really make a day of it, stopping at the top of the climbs and taking photos etc. – the weather is a key factor I’d say. It’s definitely a fun day out and plenty of banter along the route.

In my opinion the only difference in the distances was an extra climb – so the 75km had one more than the 50km; and the 100km had 2 extra…or if you’re optimistic you could look at “what goes up must come down” :). There wasn’t anything super gnarly on the Selkirk route that I remember but I would be more inclined to recommend a short travel bike, rather than a hard tail. But that’s down to your own preference of how you feel if it gets rocky

jonba
    Free Member

The selkirk one is very good. You can enter a longer distance and pull out early onto a shorter route, you can’t do the opposite though so worth going one up rather than one down on distance.

The 100km one is only 85km, I’m not sure if the others are also shorter than advertised.

The route is really good, something I would ride at other times (if you were allowed).

I’ve done it on my 456 but now use my stumpy. Every type of bike is there from xc whippet to long travel full suss. Tecehnically it’s not a race but those of us nearer the front are treating it like one.

Training wise I’d suggest riding as much as you can, get a couple of longer rides in so that you know your bike is comfortable. Build up gradually and don’t feel you need to go the full distance in training. On the day start a bit slower than you would normally. You can always ride hard for the last hour if you have energy to spare. Make sure everything works and that you’ve got the right equipment. People will stop and help but you might not be too poular if you are at the side of the trail with no tubes and pump. There used to be some advice on the website as well.

Think about what you want to eat. You don’t need to go in for Gels, bars and drink if you don’t want. Cereal bars and bananas will get you round. Just remember you will need to eat and that fees stations aren’t always reliable. If you do decide to use gels, do a ride with them first. It might be a bad idea to rely on gels for the event having never used that many before.

Enjoy yourself.

I’ve done it a few times now. The full distance. Took 6.5 hours the first time but I got a bit quicker and got round in 4.5 hours the year after. Last year I was round in just under 5 but I did the sportive the day before so was tired. Doing both again this year.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Wow thanks very much for taking the time to write such in depth responses. That is really helpful. Really looking toward to it now. I would just like to finish and it gives me some focus now. Thanks again.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve done a few in Wales/Yorkshire/Shropshire and enjoyed them all.

The Ruthin one in particular i find tough, some very steep hills around there! The peeps at the front are competitive but everyone else just ambles along at their own pace. I find starting mear the back and passing people til you find people near your own level to be best, start too near the front and you may lose heart as all the whippets stream past you!
    Don’t worry about a personal best, just enjoy the day out with like minded people 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hammy – If it’s not too late: my first ever was a MTB marathon – kind of a goal to turn from a couch hugger to a more active person for various reasons. Anyway signed up for the Merida (as it was) Selkirk 100, had about 8 months given that I didnt own a bike and was seriously overweight.

Anyways, I started riding around the block, then a bit further and further. Then more etc etc.

First year I finished within the cutoff times (JUST!). Next year finished mid field. I’ve been back every year since – its a great atmosphere, a challenge – probably bonkers for the couch hugger I was back then – but still a reasonable challenge to me now.

I always do it on a hardtail – even with other choices available now. There is a lot of climbing.

The 100 (which is never so far actually 100) isnt madly worse than the 75 or 50 – but it does have the whole Innerleithen red XC climb at the end – ie after you’ve already been giving it the beans for 3 or 4 ish hours.

#Edit – I signed up for the 100. I didnt know at the time you could switch on the day to the easier options. In retrospect I’m glad no one told me.

Just do it. It’s good. A goal is always good.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Cheers guys, just what I was looking for. Right cheque is in the post today! (for the long one!)

mogrim

Cheers guys, just what I was looking for. Right cheque is in the post today! (for the long one!)

Just make sure you get 1) a decent saddle; 2) a decent pair of shorts; and 3) get out on your bike for lots of long rides beforehand. Most of the skill in finishing the race is mental: don’t give up!

jimster
    Free Member

I’m thinking of trying the Shropshire event, anyone know what last years was like?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I did the Selkirk 50km last year on my Inbred. I entered the long one but with moving house and everything forgot to train so switched. Most people doing it aren’t being competative.

“There wasn’t anything super gnarly on the Selkirk route that I remember but I would be more inclined to recommend a short travel bike, rather than a hard tail”

No reason at all not to do it on a hardtail, I’ve ridden most of those trails rigid and if I enter this year will probably use that bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I do 3 or four of them a year, they’re a great first event to get in to as their pretty friendly.

Be realistic about your speed / ability and don’t do what a lot of over confident people do and start right at the front; then proceed to hold up the rest of the field at the first technical section – this as you can imagine be rather annoying for the faster riders.

Make sure you take enough food & water to see you through the event, there are feed stops, but make sure you have stuff on board that you like.

You’ll be certain to find riders that are of your speed etc and then you’ll get to have a nice chat along the way.

Also ensure you take spare tubes, chain links etc and you can do trail fixes on your bike as 10km is a bloody long way to walk of you snap your chain.

Other than that have fun

trusty

jimster, the Shropshire one last year was great. It was the first one I’ve done and signed up for the 75k just because. Did little proper training apart from a couple of longer rides and treated it like a big day out with a couple of mates. Trails were great, with the first half being tougher than the second. Just don’t stay in the pub with the local boys and CRC guys till the early hours like we did!

aidso
    Free Member

Sorry for the small hijack, but can anyone comment on the Welsh (Abergavenny) stage? The Selkirk date isnt good for me this year as its one of the first but I wouldn’t mind checking the Welsh scene. Is it as good and is it near other trails to make a small trip out of it and stay for a few more days after the race?

cakefest
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing to be seen in Abergavenny. Nothing.

Shropshire is where it’s at.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘CRC Marathon for first event?’ is closed to new replies.