Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • CRC and OEM ?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Do they have to state if a product is oem?

I ordered a set of Crank Bros Candy Cs from CRC (and received today).

When I ordered I chose:

Crank Brothers Candy C 2009 From £20.00
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46396

Why have I when received got OEM ones marked “not for resale” and the 2006 version?

On the blurb it states that you get “Aluminium end caps” – mine are black plastic by the look of it and also standard premium brass cleats – my other premium cleats are a different shape.

I presume as they are OEM they do not have a 1 year warranty?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Your warranty will be fine- its with CRC not Crank Brothers.

If they are meant to be 09's, I'd ask CRC.

Its pretty obvious they might be OEM- thats not a usual reduction is it!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

as they are meant to be 09 and we are in 2010 – i thought the reduction may be due to this??

Email sent

argyle
    Free Member

pays yer money. takes yer chances. sounds well dodgy, why not ask them WTF!

chrispalmr
    Free Member

I think that CRC should be far more explicit about when they are selling OEM kit and when they are selling 'new' kit (for want of a better description – I know OEM is new!)

OEM can also mean disassembled bike parts from new.

Wiggle are far better at noting that a part is OEM. Personally, for most things, I'm happy to go with OEM if I'm confident in the source. However, this really should be clear in the item description to my mind.

If the parts don't match the description, then that isn't simply a question of OEM vs non-OEM; that's the wrong part. To be fair to CRC if you call them I am certain they will sort if for you; their customer service is generally very good.

Chris

mr_mills
    Free Member

I got some of those too. They were obviously going to be OEM but I wasn't expecting the massive "not for resale" sticker that they hadn't bothered to take off. Mine look exactly like the pictures i.e. they've got the metal end caps.

Dougal
    Free Member

Ordered several sets of these a while back for spares. £20 was always going to be OEM, but that mostly comes down to having no box. Mine have alloy end caps, and the cleats the come with don't have the useless 'winglets' on them that the after market version do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

still they should say if they are

ScottChegg
    Free Member

CRC have great returns.

If you don't think you have got £20's worth, you are at liberty to return them for refund.

uplink
    Free Member

still they should say if they are

Why – what difference does it make?
    If the parts are different from the ones you get in a fancy box, fair enough, they should list the spec
    Otherwise I don't see why a retailer should state what their supplier told them they could be used for – that's between them & the supplier
    Apart from the odd component – most parts destined for bike builders are identical to the parts you'd get all boxed up & over packaged

racing_ralph
    Free Member

They say in big font "NOT FOR RESALE"

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Who gives a flying fek if it's OEM or not at that price? Have cake? Eat it?

Sheesh, some people……..

uplink
    Free Member

They say in big font "NOT FOR RESALE"

So what?

Mums the word then eh?
    If you don't say anything I won't 😉

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Makes me wanna buy some just to see what all the fuss is about, maybe RR is an undercover CRC employee 😉 😆

singlespeedstu

Still cheaper than buying a rebuild kit and cleats.

Some folks are never happy are they. 😉

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

OE does not mean new but removed from bike!!

OE is Original Equptment. Parts that a manufacturer has supplied at a far cheaper Wholesale rate in bulk to go onto bikes as they do not have to factor packaging & distributors/shipping into the costs.

Parts removed from a 'new' bike are still second hand. I would be pretty narked if i bought a 'new OE' chainset, only to find that the cranks & BB had been fitted to a frame & the arms had pedals fitted! I bought new, not second hand but in new condition.

If it doesnt match the description, its wrong.

OE if sold separately means the manufacturer washes their hands on any warranty. Any problems & its back to where you got it from

J

nuke

Personally I don't care if it's it OEM or not and, if it saves me some money over paying for nice boxes/instructions, that's fine with me but I do think it would be fair to state if it's OEM so your expectation of what you've bought and what you actually receive are the same.

slowrider
    Free Member

the saint stuff i had off them recently was def oem, no problem with that and it saved me a fortune. Id have a problem with it if they sent me the old version though!

sheffield43
    Free Member

The spec of OEM kit can be different (I got some OEM Fox Vanillas and they don't have the extra springs in with them) so the site should definately state they're OEM. If the descriptiopn was innacurate then obviously you need to tackle CRC and get a discount or refund and return postage back.

uplink
    Free Member

so the site should definately state they're OEM

& how would you find out what the OEM spec was?

Shops need to list the spec – end of
    If the manufacturer initially packaged them for use by bike builders, that's irrelevant to the punter

Rockhopper
    Free Member

For the umpteenth time of saying, any warranty you get with any product you buy is with whoever sold you that product, not the manufacturer. If the manufacturer wants to add additional warranty then thats up to them but they don't have to.
    The fact that it OEM or OM or whatever makes no difference, in this case your warranty is with Chain Reaction.

Nezbo
    Free Member

here are some for sale with out the sticker on them 😉

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Crank%20Brothers-Candy-C-Clipless-MTB-Pedals_982.htm

sheffield43
    Free Member

& how would you find out what the OEM spec was?

Sure, you might not know or be able to find that out but it alerts you to the fact you're not necesarily getting the same spec as the aftermarket product. I think it's useful to know.

wwaswas

this whole OEM thing is b*ll*cks.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer and is commonly used when referring to things like car parts where the item is made in the same factory as those sold by the car brand but is not badged as a 'Ford' (or whatever) part. It means your getting exactly the same item as you would if you bought it from a dealer. It's generally used to differentiate between these and 'pattern' parts which can be made by any tom, dick or harry.

for bike stuff if you buy a set of pedals or a fork then the spec will be as listed and if it's not 'retail boxed' that doesn't mean it's not a genuine set of candy pedals even if the spec doesn't match the normal retail item.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Parts removed from a 'new' bike are still second hand

Technically true, but for any practical purpose, nonsense.

pypdjl
    Free Member

for bike stuff if you buy a set of pedals or a fork then the spec will be as listed

Isn't that the issue though? If the listed spec is for a non-oem item and the oem item has a different spec, then there is a problem. Happens fairly often with headsets.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘CRC and OEM ?’ is closed to new replies.