Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Crazy driving in this water
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Driving down the a90 last night

At laurencekirk there was a bear transit lit up like a tree doing shuttles and slowing traffic down due to deep standing water

Roads pretty quiet and there is me behind this bear van doing about 15mph straddling both the carridgeway lanes due to deep standing water on both sides of the road.

Cue mr 61plate black fiesta comes upbehind fast brakes hard at last minute flashing and tooting for us to get out the way …. Pulled over to the side and waters coming up onto the windscreen from the puddles ( slowed down even more now as im worried about air intake as its on passengers side) bear van does the same.

Fiesta takes off back to what ever speed he was doing

See him off into the distance as we. Moved back to middle of the road then all of a sudden his lights just switched off.

Arrive at this point to find his fiesta in wheel deep water and him pushing it into a layby. – mr bear truck stopped and helped him

Tbh it was the kind of water id have even checked the depth of before wading through in the landy…. Thankfully his hydrolocked fiesta provided a handy referance point for me to wade the van through.

Roads closed today apparently there is nothing but abandoned cars all over it …… Going to be alot of cars written off due to impatience.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Then there are those 2 crazy folk down england way stopped for doing over 100mph yesterday

At that speed with that much water , stopping distances must be around 2 months 9 days

aP
    Free Member

I understand the bit about the fiesta sitting in a puddle, but the rest seems to be written in another language. Please can you explain what it means?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I saw some boy racers on Kirkcaldy’s prom pushing their lowered Peugeots through the flood water. Natural selection at work.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aaah Karma….

Personally I’d have slowed right down, pointed at him and laughed, Nelson style, then driven off. ****.

shifter
    Free Member

Bear transit?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bear is a company that does stuff with the roads up here. Like your motorway maintainance people.

Transit is a van, had beacons and warning lights all over it

Tbh the whole post could be summed up as “man disapointed when fiesta didnt turn into speedboat”

Jamie
    Free Member

Bear transit?

trail_rat
    Free Member

EXACTLY like that.

butcher

I hope you did this on the way past.

shifter
    Free Member

Understand now, thanks 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Did the bear van have arms?

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20827290

Stonehavens wild. Drove through there last night and it wasnt flooded yet.

Thatll be the trains down as well id have thought.

ojom
    Free Member

Terry – i have to drive to Milltimber tomorrow. I would normally take the back Netherley road at the Stony turn off. Would you advise staying on the main road up to Aberdeen and using the North Deeside?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mate , if it keeps raining like it is here i wouldnt advice going up at all……

What are you driving ? Dont expect to do more than 30/40 mph ave. find and note the height and location of your airintake

A90 is officially closed in many places. Glamis flyover , laurencekirk , stoney how ever my mate got his elise out of edzell and back to blackburn this morning – his seats and carpets are now in his bath drying out !

Go look on travel scotland. Just looked my self , seems the rain has subsided and water levelsmare going down , they advisemdriving carefully and watching for the debris thats been flushed onto the road.

Netherly road was fine yesterday but then so was stoney. – cant think of anywhere on netherly road that would get flooded tbh its atop a hill. Might find the bridge at culter could be under water but equally the main round about at end bridge of dee is notorious for flooding also…..

ojom
    Free Member

Hmm. Using the CRV so it has a wee bit of height. That or a Jazz. Think i’ll go CRV.

All noted. Will keep an eye on the reports

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just remember its not a speedboat. Slow down for standing water

Spotted 3 discovery 2s parked up in or shortly after water on the northbound carridgeway…… A normal disco even without a wading kit should still be able to go through a couple feet of water with no issues . But if you hit it at 70 mph you might as well be wading through the thames

ojom
    Free Member

I drive like a grandad on account of saving petrol and of course with all that engine and wind noise i can’t hear Radio 4.

breadcrumb

It’s not just the air intake you need to be concerned about, the electrics don’t like being submersed either.

I can’t imagine repeatedly quenching the engine is too good for it either.

grantyboy
    Free Member

TheBikeChain

North Deeside Road us currently closed at Marcliffe hotel and Peterculter due to flooding. Anderson Drive is also closed at Langstracht.

Northsound 1 is providing the best local traffic updates here.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fooking ell grantyboy ! It was bad when i left but Thats wild , It still raining up that way ? Im dreading what i find wen i get home :/

Really Wouldnt reccommend the slug road in flooding conditions nor the cairn o mount

ojom
    Free Member

Thanks grantyboy. Sounding bad! I can’t imagine how sad the people of Stoney will be with this ruining their xmas.
    I will assume the South Deeside from town to the bridge at Milltimber area will be totally useless too as that is prone to surface flooding.

Woody
    Free Member

My folks were woken at 0630 this morning as the neighbours house had flooded and the water was was starting to make its way towards their house.

As my Mother was telling me about it she was watching a firefighter trying to clear the drain (North Deeside Road as you leave Aberdeen) at least 8 cars within 30 seconds drove past fast enough to throw up a sheet of water which went over his head. Apparently he recovered enough in between each soaking to shake his fist at each and every one of them. Most people would have moved out of range but I guess that’s dedication for you 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Woody that really is the inconsiderate **** we live with up here

Im dreadin what i find when i go home. We should be fine though but still a worry

Mark look on facebook at northsound1s page . That paints the picture . North deeside is impassible and culter its self is flooding.

richpips
    Free Member

A mate was saying that a couple of years ago his car engine got flooded out whilst he was driving through deep water.

The car insurer did not pay out saying it was his fault.

bruneep

As my Mother was telling me about it she was watching a firefighter trying to clear the drain (North Deeside Road as you leave Aberdeen) at least 8 cars within 30 seconds drove past fast enough to throw up a sheet of water which went over his head. Apparently he recovered enough in between each soaking to shake his fist at each and every one of them. Most people would have moved out of range but I guess that’s dedication for you

Poor DRA by the OIC of the appliance that. I’d have stopped the traffic whilst he was carrying out that job.

Woody
    Free Member

North deeside is impassible and culter its self is flooding.

Those Northsound pics are awful, I used to live just above Culter Den 😯

I very nearly drove up on Friday to see the folks as I’m working over Christmas but they told me not to be stupid. They were right!

klunky
    Free Member

The following roads are CLOSED:

A937 Laurencekirk-Montrose road, just after the bridge into Marykirk.
    A947 Dyce-Newmachar at Parkhill Bridge.
    A952 New Leeds-Mintlaw, severe flooding on the road.
    A975 Newburgh (whole road).
    B974 Banchory-Fettercairn, between Strachan and Cairn o’ Mount.
    B977 Fintray-Kintore, road closed from the level crossing in Kintore, to just over the river, approximately half a mile from Kintore.
    Unclassified road, first on the left if heading south from Strachan to Cairn o’ Mount B974 road.
    Unclassified Glassel road from A93 Fernbank to the Brathens junction.
    Links Road, Aberdeen.

The following roads are PASSABLE WITH CARE:

A90 Peterhead-Crimond road, Several areas of deep surface water between Peterhead and Crimond.
    A90 Stonehaven-Northwater Bridge.
    A90 Toll of Birness-Hatton, at Toll of Birness, passable with extreme care, not suitable for smaller vehicles.
    A90 Stonehaven-Portlethen, Severe flooding, not advisable but passable with extreme care.
    A90 Muchalls-Portlethen, near Portlethen, flooding and large stones on roadway, extremely dangerous.
    A93 Cults-Peterculter (North Deeside Road), at Milltimber outside Kippie Lodge.
    A944 Lang Stracht, near to Dobbies Garden Centre.
    A952 Cortes-New Leeds, badly affected by flooding.
    B9029 Maud-Old Deer, large stretch where both carriageways are covered by surface water
    B976 Ballater-Banchory, two miles east of Aboyne, passable with extreme care, 4×4 vehicles only

klunky
    Free Member

If you “like” grampian police on face book it has lots of handy updates.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

*waits to see of terry got home alright*

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mmm, I’m driving up to Banchory on Christmas Day, our usual route is over the Cairn o’Mount via Strachan. Might need a rethink? Are the closures due to standing flood water of have the roads been compromised in some way?

piemonster

Quite a bit of crazy driving further south in Angus and Fife too.

It’s almost as if people believe aqua planing only happens to other people.

Probably how that car ended up in a field on it’s roof.

bruneep

Strachan could be the sticky point with the standing water.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mcmoonter

The last corner into strachan has a flood marker on it ….. Up to about 5ft

Most roads know of with flood markers tend to flood in floods 😉 if you turn left at the aa pill box fork and head for aboyne youll only have a little detour

My only other concern would be the snow gates being closed , depends on if it fell as snowup there – i drove overit last week and drifted the motor round the last 2 corners in slush. The joys of selectable rwd/4wd

Take the disco and have some fun 🙂

Im staying with my parents in arbroath till 27th so ill not be reporting

bruneep

5ft my arse.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats no yer arse thats yer heed

scaredypants

5ft my arse.

Indeed
    Sign seems to be placed on a hill – Drive another 50 yards and it’ll be 20ft ???

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The drive up to Banchory was fine, just a few big puddles left.

The return trip over the Cairn o’ Mount was memorable though. Ice from top to bottom on the south side.

trail_rat
    Free Member

brave man …. south side being the steep side n all that – with the drop to the right 😀

i used to live in drumtochty glen in the grounds of the castle.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst we are on the subject… Friday evening driving up the short cut that links the A40 and A49 to go to Hereford, there hadn’t been many puddles at all when suddenly over a blind crest was a huge road-wide flood. Braked, straightened up, let go of the pedals and prepared for some corrective manoevres after the fact. Hit it about 40mph or so, massive splash, jetwashed the underneath of the car but the winter tyres sorted it all out without incident.

Reminded me to take a bit more care though as I had been driving normally up until that point 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Crazy driving in this water’ is closed to new replies.