Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Crank weight
  • joeelston
    Free Member

Just wondering would a 200 gram lighter crank make any noticeable difference? (Saint to slx) I run a single chain up front on my BFe. I know the slx are strong enough for what I need. Just is it worth the bother ?!

cr500dom
    Free Member

I went Hone to XT – cant tell the difference

Scamper
    Free Member

Can’t say, but for what its worth on my Bfe I have the `reinforced’ M665 SLX which at 597g are only about 30g heavier than the regular SLX of the same vintage.

Northwind

In terms of crankness, no. And in terms of that one item, no. But if you shed an equivalent amount of weight off everything, then yes.

ndthornton
    Free Member

rough guess…
    about 200g of difference

joeelston
    Free Member

I have seen a m665 I can have for 50 quid. I paid 70 for my saints so they can go back on ebay. So the money isn’t an issue.

joeelston
    Free Member

After chatting with Cy today (helpful bloke) I’m going to put my BFe on a slight diet. Changing the pike coil forks to Reba 120 dual air. Apart from the forks the only thing I can see to lose weight is the cranks. ( realistically)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Apart from the forks the only thing I can see to lose weight is the cranks.

Think a bit harder!

joeelston
    Free Member

Ha! I can’t let go of my wheels! And I can’t afford XTR. There is the reverb but it’s sooooo handy. Gone from ust to tlr already.

bungalistic
    Free Member

The older style Pike is a heavy fork so is worth replacing it if you can but with a Reba?

The Bfe is meant to be ragged, jumped and beaten, can the Reba take that kind of abuse? Have you looked at the x-fusion slant or 2nd revelation maybe?

I don’t know how much cash you have spare but i’d be looking at something a little more robust if money allowed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I reckon I could tell the difference in stiffness between Saint, XT and Deus cranks whicle pedaling when I had all three. But it was probably at best proprioception, at worst placebo, doubt it impacted on power!

For a hardtail XT/SLX is probably fine, Saint’s only really going to be nececary if you’re doing stuff likely to bend cranks on landing. And I’ve never trashed the threads through anything other than siezed pedal bearings.

joeelston
    Free Member

I should have bought a soul. I wanted a mk3 for the seatpost compatibility etc. however just as I was going to order one with a hope headset a mk3 BFe appeared on ebay for 200 quid with headset! So saving myself 375 I went for that option. In my head I thought about becoming this hardcore, jump off everything man, but in reality I still close my eyes on 4′ drops! I’m keeping the frame till a mk3 soul comes up for sale.

bungalistic
    Free Member

That’s fair, I guess I just assume folk riding a Bfe will be giving it a lot of abuse but it’s only a slightly stiffer heavier version of Soul anyway so no reason why it can’t be built up in whatever way is needed.

Both Soul and Bfe are good frames i’ve owned both.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A Mk3 BFe and a MK3 Soul are near enough the same thing, the BFe is a bit stronger and a bit stiffer and a bit heavier (not alot).

Unless you put up a spec list, no one will be able to help you make your bike light as ****.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You want to centralise mass. Get rid of weight in the wheels, brake rotors, forks, bars, post and seat. This will get the centre of gravity as central and as low as possible.

Cranks will make **** all difference to ride quality, the most important are wheels and forks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Exactly Tom. That’s why I often tell people not to wear 5 Tens – the soles are too thick. Get some trainers with thinner soles and you instantly lower your centre of gravity.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

LOL :mrgreen:

joeelston
    Free Member

Ok my BFe is built as so..

Saint m810 cranks
    Saint bottom bracket
    Saint rear mech ( new one with clutch)
    34t hope front ring
    Slx brakes and rotors.
    Flow ex on hope pro 2 evo hubs. Qr rear end, maxle front.
    I swap tyres but use Hans Dampf, Nobby Nics and Racing Ralph’s. (TLR)
    Easton stem and handlebars (not carbon)
    XTR shifter.
    Currently pike coil u turn. But just bought a reba team dual air (150 quid)
    I’m going to compare the forks and decide.
    Odi grips and hope seat clamp.
    Reverb seatpost

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Okay, my little shopping list for you.

Air forks for starters.
    Hope X2 Race evos (will save 1/2 lb over your slx’s)
    Tioga Twintail Saddle for 70 quid, will probably save you 100-120 grams
    Light Bicycle Carbon rims, 250 quid for a pair, will knock half a lb off your rotating weight.

That’s about the best you can do without going to carbon bars

Scamper
    Free Member

Swap the Pike’s for something like older Revs(1750g) or even Slants (1963g), and that build should be well under 30lb.

joeelston
    Free Member

I have the reba team 120 in the post. 1.6 kg from what I’m told. The pikes are rather heavy!

winch
    Free Member

even Slants (1963g

My Slants only weighed 1887g with uncut steerer 🙂

sugdenr
    Free Member

Weight saving? What do you weigh Joe…..

joeelston
    Free Member

Way too much 😉

sugdenr
    Free Member

My top tip for Bfe weight saving – carbon fork lowers! 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Crank weight’ is closed to new replies.