Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Crank Brothers Joplin 4
  • scottpat06
    Free Member
    rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes x2

smiff
    Free Member

well. it’s about to be replaced with new design with square tube and mechanical.. looks more reliable to me. is 4 much better than 3?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

1″

smiff
    Free Member

yes, see.. the 3 goes wrong all the time. i know cos i have one. the UK distro is great but.. 3 returns to base? **** me.
    so is the 4 any more reliable than the 3? probably not much, design is similar right.

£107.99 is about what i paid for my 3. you’re going to get to know the distro guys real well, that’s all i’m saying. on first name terms 🙂 so if you want a bling post and a long distance relationship, go for it. if you want one that always works, don’t.

mboy
    Free Member

3 had a few internal tweaks supposedly to make it more reliable. Chief among which was dual brass keys to stop rotation instead of one, which means it takes a lot longer to get sloppy.

The design isn’t the best, but they’re pretty easy to work on and keep going by all accounts. I’ve got a whole load of spare parts in my shed that were donated to me, enough for almost 3 more full posts (just missing sleeves), and have been playing and there’s not a lot to them. Pretty simple really, so easy to keep going yourself, just like all Maverick designed stuff…

smiff
    Free Member

cool, can you tell me how to repair an air leak around the lever please? 2pure are being strangely cagey about it, keeps happening, keeps going back. even out of warranty so all credit to 2pure, i’d buy another CB product if it was well made.

for some reason i’m almost tempted to buy another. stockholm syndrome?

evans don’t specify the colour?

ah just noticed its 30.9, specialized size. removes any temptation or me.

mboy
    Free Member

Dunno how to help you there smiff.

To be fair, the one that’s on my bike right now, I bought off a guy off this forum who’s an engineer, and he’d rebuilt it to better than factory specs and it seems to work a dream. The others are all well abused spares in case I need any bits to rob.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Scottpat – I like my 4 but they do have a poor reputation. I like fixing things though so it doesnt bother me: its pretty simple to work on and fix. Does need regular checks and tlc to keep it sweet though.

smiff – I’ve put details on how to fix the air leak here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/diy-joplin-top-seal-head-removal-fitting-tool

You’ll need to diy a tool.

smiff
    Free Member

awesome, thanks, that explains why they wouldn’t just give me the o-rings. not a standard tool. might have a go ‘cos it’s 2 weeks turnaround (they’re really busy atm hmmmm)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

smiff – drop me an email (there’s none in your profile).

scottpat06
    Free Member

Thanks very much all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers Joplin 4’ is closed to new replies.