Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Crank Bros Cleats
  • mahalo
    kimbers

yeah just the same as the crank bros ones ime

atlaz
    Free Member

In the past I’ve bought cheap pedals out of bargain bins, flogged the actual pedals and kept the cleats. I have about 3 sets somewhere when I finally need more.

ps44
    Free Member

I bought some of them, but (a) couldn’t get the foot angle right – but I am a bit toe-pointy-out and (b) they wouldn’t unclip reliably. Put bona fide ones back on and the difference was immediate.
    The cheapo’s went in the bin.

mahalo

maybe buy a set of pedals from Ain’t No Mountain High Enough Cycles, swap the cleats with Snide ones and send them back for refund…. 😆

Del

well, if you’re going down the route of buying pedals, you may as well get some times, and save yourself some grief in the future.
    selah. 😉

just5minutes
    Free Member

are the time’s any good? I was looking at a pair of Atac’s to replace some ageing egg beaters but the reviews seemed a bit mixed (albeit probably less so than for anything Crank Bros make).

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of spare pairs if your local to Solihull, will swap for 4 bottles of Hop House 13!

mahalo

I’ve got the mallet e’s and they’re great. just ordered some new shoes but not retiring my owd uns so need cleats. Not local to Solihull unfortunately.

tweedviper
    Free Member

I have just spent far too much on a new set of CB DH Mallets, the pedals seem good but the cleats are a real pain in the buttocks! they are almost impossible to release in a hurry, they grip really well which is what you need when the going gets tough, but when you are in a situation when you realize that you are not the pro rider you never thought you were and need to get your hoof out rapidly, they will hold on to you like the tax man (or woman)
    I have heard the Zero degree cleats are slightly better but after spending £130 on some pedals I don’t really want to spend another £20 on semi useable cleats.
    Why haven’t Shimano come up with a decent alternative that doesn’t look like it came free with a valve cap

ajantom

I bought some of the cheapy Crank Bros cleats from eBay. £3.50 from China, they’ve been fine so far.

mahalo

Gonna give em a go

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I bought some of them, but (a) couldn’t get the foot angle right – but I am a bit toe-pointy-out and (b) they wouldn’t unclip reliably. Put bona fide ones back on and the difference was immediate.

Genuine cleats have a circle stamped in them to signify which side to put them on not a K – so I suspect these are copies.

the pedals seem good but the cleats are a real pain in the buttocks! they are almost impossible to release in a hurry,

Shoe/Pedal/Pin length?
    Run Teva Pivots, 5-10 Minnaars & Spec 2FO’s with them (the current DH is the same body design as the 2nd Gen Mallet) if my pins are a little too long it grabs the shoe a bit more and makes unclipping a little tougher. With the pins in a little they work well for me and set on the lower of the 2 release angles. Personally the idea of 0 dgree release worries me more!

ChrisE
    Free Member

I wear out 2 pairs a year. One of those is on the annual alpine transalp hike-a-bike.

A couple of years ago I saw a China site on ebay was selling 10 pairs for £100. I emailed them and bartered him down to 15 pairs for £30. They are just the same as genuine ones and so lasting me fine

C

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thread resurrection help please

I got some of these cleats for my crank Bros mallet enduro and they just won’t clip in at all to my pedals? Is there a specific way of installing them? I can’t see any difference, ie left or right specific but they just won’t clip in, I can just about get them to push in but then they just pop the shoe back out like it doesn’t fit?

Any ideas?

My current premium cleats are knackered and very worn so would they have knackered the pedal clip mechanism?

bigblackshed

I’d hazard a guess at the sole of the shoe isn’t lettting the cleat full clip in. Take the pedal off and try clipping in with the pedal and shoe in your hand. Have a good look to see what’s going on.

Probably needs the cleat spacing out from the shoe a bit.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ah cheers sounds promising then, it does make sense what your suggesting as it tries to pop in but then just comes straight back out

Having said that though I used these same shoes with the premium cleats in winter last year??

The only thing I’ve not got on them is a set of those Shields when I installed them? Would that be the problem?

teamslug
    Free Member

Oscillate. I can’t see how worn cleats would significantly wear the pedals. I’ve had eggbeaters since they were released and the bars do wear a bit but never had the problem of not clipping in. Are they seized up? They can be dismantled and reassembled pretty easily? Are they genuine cleats? Only other thing I can think is that the cleats have been manufactured to wrong specification.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yeh I think pedal engagement side of it is fine if the cleats have worn out

They are the cheap Chinese ones but they look identical in size etc to genuine ones

The only thing I haven’t done is put some of those plastic shims on so I’m guessing gthat raises the cleats to clear the sole of the shoe

It’s the only logical thing it can be really thinking about it

bigblackshed

The shoe shields could be the issue. Did you fit the plastic spacer under the cleat, on top of the shoe shield?

When I used CB on a pair of Shimano trekking shoes they didn’t need the plastic spacer. But the sole of the shoe was a bit worn. Some new Giro shoes, so I fitted shoe shields to save the sole, but had to faff with the spacers, and had to trim them to the same profile as the cleats to get the wings of the pedals to clip over the cleat properly. I then had horrible hot spots because the shoes were floating above the cage of the Candy pedals and offered no support.

Now gone back to Shimano SPDs after years on CB. But struggling with the different clip in / out technique. I like the anyway in of the CB pedals. Forward, backward, stamp.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

No I don’t have any spare shims the cheap ones should have come with some looking at the blurb on ebay listing but mine didn’t

Like you when I put the original cleats on summer shoes they were fine and engaged so no need for shims

But my winter boots clearly do as putting these cheapo ones on with no shims at all just literally bolting two cleat to the sole of the shoe with nothing else

Guess the cleat isn’t sitting high enough out from the sole to get a proper engagement

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does anyone know the depth of the plastic shims at all?

also does anyone know where you can just buy the plastic shims?

scotroutes

PM me your address and I’ll send you some.

Depending on how many you use, you might need some longer screws. I’ll chuck in some of them too.

frogstomp

Just to keep this in one thread.. are CB pedals harder to clip out of than Shimano SPDs? I’ve just switched and am struggling to unclip a bit – they don’t necessarily feel tight, they just require a large degree of swivelling before they disengage. I have tried the cleats different ways round and it didn’t seem to make any difference.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

scotroutes – emailed you bud, many thanks squire

coletassoft
    Free Member

@frogstomp as you´ve probably found out by now, it´s only that you are used to a LOT less float than CB offers and it´s kinda weird to have to twist so much in comparison. Takes a bit to get used to.

I really want to try their zero float cleats to see if I get back that spd feeling.

scotroutes

Did you swap them from shoe to shoe? A pair of cleats aren’t identical. You’ll see that one has a set of dots engraved on it. By swapping this to the other shoe you can affect how much float you have before the cleat unclips.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Cleats’ is closed to new replies.