Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cranham woods – the stuff we're allowed to ride now, is it marked?
  • IHN

Might pop to Cranham at the weekend, first time for aaaaages.

Now, I know there’s been a lot of good work to get access agreed to some of the stuff up there and I’m conscious that I want to stay within the bounds of that agreement. The thing is I just kind of know where I’ve ridden before and not what its ‘called’ (Teachers, shrine, racetrack etc).

So, is the stuff that we’re allowed to use marked up at all? I’d hate to stray onto other stuff and cause any problems.

jclay
    Free Member

It is supposed to be marked but not sure whether it has happened yet. I’m going up tomorrow afternoon with friends who know what’s been agreed so I will see what the state of play is and fill you in more tomorrow evening.

alfabus
    Free Member

the main track is marked, as is the wall and the climb out from the bottom of teachers.

last time I was up there, teachers itself wasn’t marked.

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

IHN

I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever found Teachers, where’s the top?

Is the Racetrack the one that goes from the Birdlip/Slad road and ends up spitting you out opposite the sawmill? What’s the deal with that at the moment?

alfabus
    Free Member

The top of teachers is one that you have to know where it is to find it. If you’re riding E->W on the main track, you’ll go up a ludicrously steep,short climb at one point (you’ll know the one I mean!). About 100 yards on from that, teachers doubles back on you and heads down twisty singletrack joy.

The one you described is the Racetrack. Currently there is no agreement either way about that land, as it isn’t in Buckholt Woods or on the Tyson’s land. We haven’t been told not to ride it, so we are riding it 🙂

The big no-no is the stuff around the sawmill, so the shrine is no-go. We’re hoping that some good behaviour in avoiding that area will prove we can be trusted, and having us riding in Buckholt will prove we don’t trash the place, so hopefully they will let us back in next year.

Dave

mrmo
    Free Member

The big no-no is the stuff around the sawmill, so the shrine is no-go. We’re hoping that some good behaviour in avoiding that area will prove we can be trusted, and having us riding in Buckholt will prove we don’t trash the place, so hopefully they will let us back in next year.

hmm, i have my doubts, strongly suspect they are going for the manana manana approach and the problem will go away.

Their build looks almost done, still a fair bit of internal i suspect. but external is certainly well on the way,.

IHN

(you’ll know the one I mean!).

I do indeed 😯

Cool, should be able to find it then.

So, is the west end of the agreed main track from the little carpark in the woods?

alfabus
    Free Member

So, is the west end of the agreed main track from the little carpark in the woods?

Erm… I think you mean East end; in which case, yes.

IHN

Yes, yes, of course, East 😳

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Teachers is not sign posted at the top.
    If you are comming from the Blue Bell wood, cross the road and then head left down the slope and back up the other side, over the bridle track and it flattens off, stay right and you will see a very lighly used trail that goes off right, follow that as that is the offical start.

wilko1999
    Free Member

2/3rds of the way down the racetrack, there’s a ‘bus stop’ off to the left which crosses back over the racetrack and heads down a slightly tastier steeper downhill section. Well worth a go, when you get to the end of it, follow the track directly up and to your left and you’re at the end of the racetrack. Easy peasy

Teachers can be a bitch to find as the very top bit never seems to get well worn. There’ll be someone up there you can ask if you struggle

Most people are just avoiding the shrine area, and the bit directly opposite on the other side of the sawmill – rooty hump?. Everything else seems to be fair game again! And it’s pretty much dry up there now, fun in the sun 😀

peanutz
    Free Member

The racetrack is oh-so-sweet at the moment, but driving past tonight was surprised to see someone riding it the wrong way (ie uphill)! I don’t know about anyone else, but when I’m coming down there, if I met someone coming the other way cycling head down in the middle of the track, I’m not sure I could stop on certain sections!?! I ‘spose the same goes for a deer or a rambler, but perhaps fellow mtbers should help out by not causing a potential mutual visit to A&E? What do you guys think?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats a fair point but lots of people come from the Royal William direction way so ride up there heading for Birlip and Lecky.Mind saying that years ago i had just started on it and the first slope bit winding it up and nearly hit my mate coming the other way just managed to shoot of the side of the track.[Sorry Rob]
    Looks pretty muddy in there in places still.Some of trails have bike signs of the trees.As said teachers not easy to see the start but once on easy to follow.Not been in Cranham off-road since good Friday.Past alot on road bike.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cranham woods – the stuff we're allowed to ride now, is it marked?’ is closed to new replies.