Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • covering wires after removing a wall light fitting help…
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Theres two bedside wall mounted lights in my kids bedroom. They are switched at the light itself wuth a pull cord but theres a wall mounted fuse plate thing as well.

I’ve removed the fuses to both of these lights so they don’t have any electrical hazard at the moment, but my kids keep playing with the light fitting itself, pulling the cord all the time. also theres a glass shade on it so not safe if they smash that.

So I’d like to remove these from the wall. When I unscrew them theres just a little bracket they attach to and a connector block to attach to the cable coming out the wall.

If I take them off how do I blank the cable off as theres not a back box like you would have on a plug socket?

Or is it just a case of getting some kind of connector to cover the wire ends and shove the wire back in the wall then plaster over? If so what connector do I look for.

Fuses to the lights are removed at the separate wall plate (about a metre away by the bedside sockets) so they aren’t live anymore, just want to prevent them playing with the light fitting at the moment.

I’d like the option of being able to refit the lights at some point when they get older.

globalti
    Free Member

Just fit a couple of these, which will take care of the wires and enable you or any future owner of the house to use them. Leave the fuses out and perhaps stick the covers with a dab of silicon to prevent curious fingers from unscrewing them.

Edit: there may be a blank version of this, I don’t know.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d fit a back box. Put some choc block on the cable then cover with a blanking plate. You can get small round back boxes if they fit better. You might be able to fit a blanking plate without the back box and stuff the cable back but that’s not ideal. I wouldn’t plaster over it if you have plans to reinstate it. If it gets plastered over really the cable should be properly removed or at least isolated.

meeeee
    Free Member

If it gets plastered over really the cable should be properly removed or at least isolated.

would it be ok to disconnect the cable to the light at the fused connection unit(obviously turning mains power off first!, then just plaster over?) Does that class as properly isolated?

Although just found you can get plaster board mounting recessed backboxes so shouldn’t be too difficult to fit that. I never knew they existed as all the ones ive seen in the past have been attached to wooden batons 😳

nickjb
    Free Member

Although just found you can get plaster board mounting recessed backboxes so shouldn’t be too difficult to fit that. I never knew they existed as all the ones ive seen in the past have been attached to wooden batons

Yep, that’s the sort I was thinking. Just cut a hole with a pad saw and pop them in. Takes seconds.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘covering wires after removing a wall light fitting help…’ is closed to new replies.