Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Coventry as a romantic mini-break destination…
  • unknown
    Free Member

I suspect I know the answer to this already, but what the hell…

I need to be in Coventry for a Mon/Tue in January as I’m starting a postgrad degree (distance learning, this is just to kick off the course). Is there any merit whatsoever in the idea of taking the Mrs and making a weekend of it? I know absolutely nothing of Coventry, except it’s quite near Birmingham airport. And that Birmingham is where Black Sabbath and Jasper Carrot are from

unknown
    Free Member

Bah, wrong forum!

kayak23

Ha ha ha!!!!!!!

wwaswas

Spent a weekend in the middle of Birmingham last year.

Not exactly ‘romantic’ (we had the kids in tow) but there was enough to see and do to make it interesting.

kayak23

Sorry…
    Actually, there are some great places around there but Coventry itself, although improved, is pretty minging IMHO and the people are just……..different.

You could head off to Stratford on Avon, Shopping in Leamington Spa, see some great theatre or comedy or film at Warwick Arts Centre.
    Tons to do really, but yeah, Coventry?… No.

bamboo
    Free Member

Cov isn’t far from Warwick / Leamington and Stratford Upon Avon; each of these offer a bit more touristy stuff to do.

If you stay in / around Warwick, treat the Mrs to a Castle Balti; immense 🙂

revoltos
    Free Member

Coventry itself isnt an attractive city for a romantic break. On the positive side you do have places like Warwick, Stratford Upon Avon, Kenilworth ect that are all old towns that are nice to spend time in. They’re on the outskirts so you would need to drive or catch a bus to them. Coventry does have the Cathedral and surrounding area and Spon Street which are quite nice old parts of Cov, scattered with afew bars and places to eat. Coombe Abbey Country Park is a nice country park on the edge of Cov with a big a hotel that is nice to spend time at too.

kayak23

If you stay in / around WarwickLeamington, treat the Mrs to a Castle Balti Kayal, Kerala cuisine; immense

FTFY 😉

bamboo
    Free Member

kayak – Kayal is good, but I find reading the menu a bit like reading a story book!

toby1

Inspire

Should you happen to find yourself in the area with some time to kill this used to be very good*

*It has been about 10 years since I last spent any time there.

Not exactly a romantic place to get away, but worth a stroll around the campus and old/new cathedrals, the drop into inspire before you hit the train station on the way back out again 🙂

As the others have said, Leamington would make a better base.

belugabob
    Free Member

I left Coventry 21 years ago, and have absolutely no desire to return (other than to visit relatives).
    The Cathedrals are worth a visit (hopefully the spiral staircase in the old cathedral is still open to the public)
    The only other tourist attraction I can think of, is the rather excellent Museum of British Road Transport – but that depends on whether the other half is into that kind of stuff.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

As others have said, no, not the city, but some of the surrounding towns are very nice. Spent a few years at the Uni and run and back out to Kenilworth a lot and thought that it looked a lovely place.

theotherjonv

Coombe Abbey near Coventry is a very lovely place to stay, and if you’re staying a Sunday night might offer a decent package deal

Homepage

scruff
    Free Member

Theres a statue of sum woman on an ‘os, a blown up cathedral, a motor museumand a big wide ring road to help you avoid it all.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Beluga -you legged it around the same time I did….

unknown
    Free Member

Thanks all, that pretty much confirms my preconceptions of Coventry. No mini-break for mrs unknown then, was only going to happen if the city happened to be some undiscovered gem. I’ll go down Monday morning, and get the hell out of dodge Tuesday evening!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Coventry as a romantic mini-break destination…’ is closed to new replies.