Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cove Hustler Build Options
  • snowjunkie
    Free Member

I am building up a Cove Hustler and was wondering what setups other people have got. I am planning on running 1×10 but would like to know what forks/wheels etc people are using.

it will be mainly used for trail centre bashing and the odd enduro race.

Also the frame design seems pretty basic compared to all the new oversized/tapered malarky. Is it worth spending the money on an old design?? i am going to anyway.

Feel free to add photos of your builds

Cheers

al2000

I loved my Hustler, but I paid £1000 for it in 2005, and there’s no way I’d pay £1800 for one now. Also dropper post options are very limited by the 30.0 seattube size.

Build wise, I had Z1’s, XM321 rims on Hope Bulbs, XT cranks etc on it.

It made an ace little bike, but things have moved on and there are much better bikes available for less money.

snowjunkie
    Free Member

Got the frame for £750 and have had the seat tube reamed so I can fit a dropper post. Should be able to swap bits around and get a build for £1500 in total.

highlandman
    Free Member

It’s a frame that steers well and goes downhill enthusiastically for its weight, so play to its strengths in your build for maximum grins.
    Don’t buy the hype, dropper posts are over-rated by folk trying to justify the silly money they cost and both the traditional headset and BB formats will outlast the newer (marketing) styles. Get a decent fork like a pair of coil Bombers, some well made mid level wheels (like the above..) and your bike will be a little ripper.
    Just don’t over-extend your seatpost as this will shorten frame lifespan.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t buy the hype, dropper posts are over-rated by folk trying to justify the silly money they cost

Nope…..

For a TC bashing bike I’d be looking around the Fox 34’s or some RS Rev type forks. If you can go the extra weight and got a 20mm then probably better. Take a look at x-fusion.

Wheels just dropped from EX721’s on ProII’s to XM 719’s longevity not tested but solid feeling an a nice weight reduction – tubeless in 5 mins.

j3ffo
    Free Member

Had fox 32 at 140mm on mine but found them too flexy. 34s would be good if you reduce them to 140 or even 150mm.

Wasnt a great climber IMO compared to newer suspension designs and wouldnt pay full price for one now. It was a ripper going down though. I dont buy into the tapered head tube making much difference but I am a believer in droppers. I ran a 27.2 hilo with a shim and it worked great.

Have fun

Sui
    Free Member

Hustlers rock (ed). Mine was;

Romic Coil shock (old skool)
    Pikes 426 i think
    Pro II’s with a mix of 521rims or 719’s
    SLX cranks
    8 speed dude (xt) set up
    High rollers
    CK Headset

this was all up until 2 weeks ago when it went SNAP

I don’t agree with thre climbing critism, ithought it went up quite well and so did others who borrowed it. It was also a hoot on the downs and for throwing through tight singletrack (i did cut the bars down a bit).

Excellent bike.

thehustler
    Free Member

Bomber Z1’s 321 disc on hope hubs sram xo gripshift, it goes up it goes down and its still fun after 5-6 years

j3ffo
    Free Member

Snapped mine too unfortunately

snowjunkie
    Free Member

Plan on using some pro 2s with XM719 rims to begin with. Also 150mm Revelations (QR) but I want to put them back on my hardtail eventually.

Have heard great reviews about Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti but cannot find any online. very tempted for a Coil fork. Although may try a 160mm fork and then maybe reduce it??

Going to try a cheapo dropper post on my hardtail and then see how I get on as to how much I spend on one.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Running mine with dt swiss xmm 140 with remote, helps with climbing lowering the front end. It descends like a beast with pro 11’s on 717’s. Run a hope headset with a 6deg 90mm stem. Hoping to switch stem for a 70mm 0deg to again lower front end. Really happy with the frame regards bb and steerer tube, can’t see it going out of fashion, if it does, bollocks to them. Mine is in blue, the powder coat isn’t great.

pguy78
    Free Member

Mines an 09. Fox 32 140s up front and s rp23 rear.
    Drive setup is 2×9 xt with a bionicon chain guide red
    Race face diabolus stem, headset and seatpost.
    Wheels are 717s on hope pro2

Only had two chances to ride it since building it cant wait it bank holiday to get it to Afan. From my first couple of rides feels faster than my old (2004) orange 5 still getting used to it. Got a feeling it will be good fun. Will try and get pics up later

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Ignore the naysayers. Its a frigging hoot to ride. I owned 3 with EN521 on Hope hubs. 140 Revs, pikes and Talas.

snowjunkie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback. looking forward to saving the pennies to get it built before going to coed y brenin around august time. wish I had the money to do it now but I have to be patient!!

The frame is bright green. soo looking forward to riding it. love my hardtail but will be nice to get back on a full suss again. my 02 enduro has served me well but it is time to allow it a peaceful retirement!!

I will defo be running a 50 – 60 mm stem and some renthal fat bars. love the short and wide setup. wish I had done it ages ago.

baldman
    Free Member

You’ll love it.

I’ve reamed mine too so run a reverb now and it makes it even more fun. I’ve got u-turn revs and tried a few settings. Used 130-135mm for a lot of the time, but more recently running 150mm with a bit more sag and it’s great.

Everyone’s different, but I found the it’s short in the top tube and settled on an 80mm stem even with the wide bars (750mm).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cove Hustler Build Options’ is closed to new replies.