• This topic has 62 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Council highways incompetence rant
  • Stoner
    Free Member

The police don’t enforce mandatory 20 mph limits. I mean they don’t enforce any limits round this way, but their express policy is to not enforce 20.

nickjb
    Free Member

The police don’t enforce mandatory 20 mph limits.

They do round here in Bristol. Around 2-3000 per year are caught. Its a small fraction of those that speed but average speeds have dropped. People who used to 40 in a 30 are now doing 30 in a 20 which is a sort of step forward. Funnilly enough you now get people complaining when they get caught because they didn’t think the limits were enforced

nickc

Accidents rare although there have been some.

Is probably the reason then. It’s difficult to justify spending money on road safety in places where it’s already reasonably safe. Especially for cash strapped councils who will have to justify it to people who live nearby less safe roads.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What about those “one lane passing” calming things….

There are loads in Hampshire, the New Forest has them all over the place…

martinhutch

Club together, buy clapped out transit, quick paint job and job’s a good-un.

In my old village, someone at the far end entered a ‘policeman holding speed camera’ scarecrow. Worked very well until someone nicked it.

pedlad

op – That is funny and yes on par for Worcester council highways considering the island at jn7.

Have you seen bosbury from the Ledbury side recently? They (the parish council) I presume have put nice decorative white “welcome” gates ahead of th 30mph village boundary which really seem to emphasise the need to slow down. Might be worth mentioning to your PC.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bb, that’s the kind of thing we could do with but been told not allowed as needs Street lighting,and obviously no one wants to urbanise a rural village. And won’t somebody think of the bats?!?

Stoner
    Free Member

Pedlad, they’ve put picket gates on the other three main roads into the village (I don’t believe they achieve a great deal personally) but the conservators (lovely people) have vetoed their erection on the south side of the village that boarders the common.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stoner, don’t back down.

Go get a petition started and hassle the Council, maybe local bbc radio too??

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thinking laterally for a moment (it’s ok, I’ve had a couple of coffees so I won’t do any permanent damage)…

Without looking at the rules and regs of how you get these things done, is it worth looking at who does the speeding in the first place? Given how far you are from civilisation (and no, Malvern City doesn’t count), is it likely that the offenders are from a given pool of drivers that use the road regularly. IME it’s people that know a road well, but are only using it to transit from A to C and couldn’t care less about who’s impacted in B, are most likely to speed. I realise I’m in an urban environment, but you know my road. It’s pretty much the same few dozen cars that speed down it regularly. They’re using it to get to the long perpendicular road at the bottom which leads to a whole other chunk of Bris and aren’t bothered about children’s faces on my road. They know they need to crest that point where you can see the bottom or top so they then have right of way to proceed against any car turning into the road. It’s **** annoying to see the same cars do it. I’m tempted to buy a child sized mannequin and chuck it out in front of one of them one day. I’d just be worried that they’d skid and smash into a neighbour’s car. 🙂

So while some traffic calming measures might work in he short term, as the speeders get used to them, the average speed creeps back up again. Traffic calming might just be a new challenge for them! Out of interest, have you looked into how much it would cost to get one of those boxes that detect speeds and numbers (y’know, the things with the two wires across the road) so you can measure the problem? Surely you could squeeze a few quid out of the PC for one of those in the interim?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Love the vids on this post.

Edukator
    Free Member

Bikebouy, your traffic calming thing is missing the cyclist lane. In our local town the traffic calming things used to have and cut through for cyclists but the latest ones don’t. 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

have you looked into how much it would cost to get one of those boxes that detect speeds and numbers (y’know, the things with the two wires* across the road) so you can measure the problem? Surely you could squeeze a few quid out of the PC for one of those in the interim?

The road safety partnership (or whoever) install them when they get a threshold of complaints about speed, the intention being to see if it’s worth putting a camera there.

So get more people to complain until they hit the threshold.

*they’re actually rubber tubes, the car puts pressure on them, which the sensor then reads.

I quite like the idea of a stealth camper with speed camera signs on it, could park in any layby and no one would bother!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

they’re actually rubber tubes

Yeah, I realise that, but thanks anyway. 🙂

Flaperon

Put on a high vis and point a hairdryer at cars entering the village. Works particularly well if you stand on an off-camber bend; see how many you can collect in the ditch at the side of the road.

Fake speed camera, wait till drivers get used to it and then convince plod to site their camera van around the corner. Or get run over and killed, which seems to be the only way to convince councils to put in traffic calming measures.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or get run over and killed, which seems to be the only way to convince councils to put in traffic calming measures.

This. 😐

Our lad’s pre-school is right on the edge of an industrial estate – there is a 20 limit, which is pretty much ignored. In fact, if it was 30, it’d be still pretty much ignored. It’s a pretty unpleasant journey to try and make by bike or foot. When we questioned the head as to why there is no zebra or pelican crossing by the school, he said they’d repeatedly asked for one but as noone had been hurt, the council wouldn’t put one in.

I’m all for an evidence based approach, but it seems that motorists mustn’t be inconvenienced in order to make it easier or more pleasant to walk or bike your child to school. 😡

Northwind

That is genius.

Near mine, there’s a spot where the NSL zone inexplicably starts immediately before 2 sweepy blind corners, it’s been an accident blackspot as long as I’ve been here. There’s been lots of attempts to get the NSL moved just past those corners- literally 20-30 metres- and always knocked back.

So some resourceful feller dug up the signs, moved them round the corner, and concreted them back in.

Edukator
    Free Member

I mean they don’t enforce any limits round this way,

Not entirely true, a Lord got flashed, banned for six months and given a £600 fine for 52mph through there.

epicyclo

deadlydarcy – Member
    …I’m tempted to buy a child sized mannequin and chuck it out in front of one of them one day. I’d just be worried that they’d skid and smash into a neighbour’s car….

Great idea. Make sure to fill it with pigs blood and guts.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So some resourceful feller dug up the signs, moved them round the corner, and concreted them back in.

THis is a confession right?

Great idea though

Spud

I feel your pain. Our road, relatively short 30mph residential, is a cut through. I have data showing en-masse speeding offences and Notts County Council and Notts Police say there’s not enough to justify any measures, including speed camera vans.

Stoner
    Free Member

A fellow village parent and friend has just sent me this data that he got from the safer roads partnership:

Number by % of cars speeding Northbound* : 0900: 23%
    Number by % of cars speeding Northbound: 1600: 57 %.
    Max speed northbound 61 mph

* direction coming off the common into the village

Number by % of cars speeding Southbound: 0900: 33%
    Number by % of cars speeding Southbound: 1600: 25%.
    Max speed southbound 56 mph.

These are recorded by a van half a mile to the north (and the same distance to the south) inside the 30mph limit.

Bazz

Sod cameras, this is what you need, used randomly the message will soon spread.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Council highways incompetence rant’ is closed to new replies.