Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Council Claims
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

In a purely hypothetical question….. 😀

Say, upon reporting a mentally large/deep pothole and its subsequent (genuine) damage to your vehicle, the council requests that you get estimates on repairs, then offers 75% of those repair costs (noting that its your fault for not avoiding the pothole, they wont pay for new-for-old and that they are not admitting any liability), would you

a) be annoyed that they are effectively accusing you of causing the problem by not swerving in the dark in a busy 2-lane section of road with overtaking traffic, and ask them for the whole amount or at least to admit that it wasn’t your fault. Also pointing out the time taken off work to get estimates and having to cancel plans due to car being off-road. Also point out the fact that if you’d been commuting by bike and come off they’d be in a damn sight worse situation, and the fact that you never actually submitted a claim in the first place, only a report of the hole.

b) Take the cash and find somewhere other than the garage who provided the quote who might do it for even less. This would seem unfair on the garage who took time to investigate the damage and prepare a report.

konabunny
    Free Member

c) Go back to garage and say “sorry, boys, the council only gave me 75% of what you quoted me (and here’s the letter) – can you still do it?”.

I’d at least give them the option. Offer to pay cash so no card charges. I bet the garage has a little padding in there. And no-one expects every quote to turn into business.

sqweeeezzz
    Free Member

Take the cash its only gonna get more expensive from now on

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fair points, will attempt C and see how I get on!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Council Claims’ is closed to new replies.