Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Could You Live Without TV?
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

I had to think about that one, t-m-m!! 😉

‘TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR’

Is that you, Singletrackrocks?? Long time no see!

My daughter watches her fair share of TV and could read perfectly well at 5 yrs old

(Forgive me if ive got the wrong person) Was it not your little girl who knocks back pints, if you’re not watching?

Obviously a highly intelligent child!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I never tell anyone that they mustn’t watch TV, but I don’t see why I shouldn’t point out that maybe life is better without it. I certainly think my life is better without it (or with very little) – more time to think, less stress (lots of evidence that TV is only relaxing in the same way as valium is relaxing – read the book), get more done, talk/play with kids more etc. I also think that if everyone watched a bit less TV then that would be good for society and ergo, good for me.

RudeBoy – Member

‘TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR’

Is that you, Singletrackrocks?? Long time no see

Yes mate it is, and yes she is the one with the pint.

Didn’t come on for a while and then the forum changed – tried to re-register and had problems logging in. Eventually had another go and here I am

RustySpanner

“You say you only watch documentaries,
    That bad cold you’ve got, that’s the ‘flu.
    And that book that you foisted upon me,
    I’ll never read it, will you?”

s8tannorm
    Free Member

TV …brainwashing for the masses really. It took over from the church when that stopped working 😉

RustySpanner

Don’t start that one again…… 🙂

**** it, I’m convinced.

Next week I’m ditching the car, throwing my PC away, selling my house and moving into a mud hut. And MTB’s – spawn o’ the devil

Jamie
    Free Member

I do not watch TV in the traditional sense of the word.

[nerd]

I just have SABNzbd+ set up to automatically grab all the TV shows .nzbs i want to see via RSS. It then pars/unrars and drops the 720p x264 files onto a NAS share which i access via a mac mini and watch on my HDTV. All automated apart from when there is one off docs that i have to click a few things to get.

[/nerd]

pypdjl
    Free Member

All this talk of de-tuning and unplugging arials is rubbish, if you aren’t watching or recording broadcast TV then you don’t need a licence.

superlurch
    Free Member

I could but I’m not sure I could live with the mood it would put the Mrs in…

🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Well I’ve had a hell of a day building my single speed, need to shorten my hoses and tighten up some bolts etc.

Anyway my net is slow as **** due to a fault at the exchange so I have a dial up whiel I do my report.

Take my tv but leave my net-which is crap too.

I guess when I have more time I could watch tv in the future if there was something good on.

Anyway enjoy what you do!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I use my TV as a kind of radio with pictures if there’s something interesting. Most of the time I’m looking at my PC monitor…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, tried that Zattoo, and it’s a bit rubbish. S’not my internets, seems to be the Zattoo system can’t cope with the demand. Image breaks up all the time, and the sound is crap.

Ah well.

Definitely the way forward, though. Time the Licence Fee was looked at; it don’t really cater for internets. Most content will be delivered via internets soon anyway. How BBC gonna regulate that? I know they want to charge EVERYONE with a computer for a TV licence, but they’ll have to come up with something fairer, really. I already pay for Broadbaynd; don’t see why I should pay a whack for something I don’t want.

slowmedown
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime speaks the truth, my girls are 8 and 10, never had tv and seem to manage to remain well adjusted and say they dont ‘miss out’ at school. If we are somewhere with a tv, they are allowed to watch, but normally get up, bored, and wander off to find something else to do after half hour or so.

Mrs smd and I threw the tv out about 12 years ago. For US life is more fun without.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I grew up in a home without a TV, all through my Primary school years. Our B+W set died, and my mum din’t believe TV was good for a developing mind. So I read books instead. Lots and lots and Lots of books. At about 7 or 8 years old, I was considered to have an ‘adult’ reading age. I excelled academically, and left my peers behind. God Bless my teachers, for constantly coming up with new challenges for me, so that I woon’t be bored. My mum found some of the stuff I was reading a bit alarming, however; ‘Gorky Park’, at 11; ‘A Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovitch’ not long after. I’d done all the James Bond novels by the time I was about 9 or 10. I then moved on to Craig Thomas. I still enjoyed the Moomins books, though, although the CS Lewis Narnia stuff was a bit ‘young’ for me, by the time I entered secondary school.

Many studies have shown that TV is detrimental to the intellectual development of childrens’ minds. And that active pursuits such as reading books, playing with Lego, etc, are of more benefit than the passive absorption of information via a TV screen.

Television, the drug of the nation
    Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation

zaskar
    Free Member

Cool!

samuri
    Free Member

as long as I’m allowed a PC (not with iplayer) and a telly to play on my xbox then I’d be wonderfully happy without a TV. I only ever watch it because it’s there and on. Terribly soul destroying thing but then I’m not the only person in the house.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I didn’t have access to a TV at all until I went to university, and I’ve never bought one, just had hand-me-downs.

Films get watched, and I’d miss that. TV-wise the only things I can be bothered with are the big BBC documentaries. I watched that thing about the sardine run last week completely spell-bound. Rest of it, and the endless Friends repeats I can completely live without.

I listen to the radio a lot, and sit quietly with an album on the stereo, otherwise I read books. I could replace TV with a DVD player and screen effortlessly, and could get rid of that without spoiling my life.

🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

I am guilty of downloading that Zattoo to see what I was missing. Within hrs of installing it and browsing I wasn’t impressed and after looking at whats on during the whole day and night I have deleted it.

Thanks for posting the link-I realised what a load of rubbish tv is.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Don’t have one, don’t miss it at all (I’ve not had access to one since I lived at home, ooh 15 years ago), won’t be having one whilst the c*nts at TV Licensing CONTINUE to harass us. Until they turn up with a policeman and a search warrant they sure as hell won’t be coming past the doorstep either.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Happly, but my GF won’t go without it even tho she doesn’t watch much either

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

a few of my friends made a big point about saying they were going to ‘live without tv’ when they got a place of their own. a few months later and they’d all bought one. This was before iPlayer though. its probably quite easy now. i’d still want something to watch films on though.

I might give it a go as i’ll be renting a place soon and don’t have a tv.

Can you get 32″ LCD monitor for the same price as a TV?

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Could You Live Without TV?’ is closed to new replies.