Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Could I have ridden round Gisburn and not ridden down 'the slab'?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Rode round Gisburn on Sunday, following the red signs and taking (whereever possible) the more interesting option. So for example we did the teflon rollercoaster.

There was one section where there were two options. It was quite short and followed a little climb that involved going over some biggish stones. The two options were basically round the side (looked a bit bermed) or over the top which led to a short steep smooth drop which turned right slightly at the bottom and then inti a left hand berm (where it met the other option I think)

Was that short steep smooth drop 'the slab'? If it was, then it was smoother than I remember from pictures on here (that I can't find anymore). If it wasn't, how did I miss it?

If it helps locate the bit I'm talking about, following it we went down a bit, then up a bit and then a chap who seemed to know the place told us we were at the highest point on the route. It was before the teflon rollercoaster.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It was quite short and followed a little climb that involved going over some biggish stones.

Sounds like you went UP it to me! 😉
    It's nothing to shout about. I'd say 85% of riders would clear it no trouble, first glance.

firestarter
    Free Member

the bit you describe above is before the slab , you go over or round that little bit round i few little berms then climb up to the right go thru a gap in the wall near the trees and continue up and then bear to the left the slab is on your right but you continue straight and there is a black sign to the left up a rocky climb bearing right leads to the top of the slab. if you followed the red straight you missed it . it leads straight out to a fire road which is signed right red or black straight on to the rollercoaster bit (iirc) 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is my brother riding said slab.

firestarter
    Free Member

funny how the camera makes it look almost flat lol

higgo
    Free Member

OK – I think I missed it then.

It was just by 'the gap in the wall by the trees' that the chap told us we were at the highest point. I certainly didn't ride down anything slabby between there and the teflon rollercoaster.

Will have to go back.
    And keep my eyes open.

stumpyjon

Yep, definitely missed it, you're describing the other little black loop. The slab bit bears right after the next section bermy bits just before going through the wall for the second time. There are some quite techy rocks to get over first.

Not sure about 85% of riders doing it first time though or maybe I've just got a mental block now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's not the camera……
    It's just not very steep. 35 degrees? Maybe 40 at a push, at it's steepest?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's worth riding though. Interesting. This is me on it…

nosemineb
    Free Member

Well i am in the minority, I dont think i will ever ride it, maybe a mental block thing, but i rather like my teeth.
    If it wasnt rock i am sure i would just do it without thinking.

nbt

The Mighty Higs – Member

OK – I think I missed it then.

It was just by 'the gap in the wall by the trees' that the chap told us we were at the highest point.

You were standing just below the slab at that point so the chap was wrong. To get to the slab you follow the trail going left then at a fork, turn right to climb to the slab. You then loop down over the trail you just rode.

Likewise, just before you go through the wall you can turn right and descend to do another loop of that small red / black section you just climbed to get up to there

higgo
    Free Member

How does it compare to this bit at Lee Quarry (for people who've been to both)?

Sorry – can't seem to embed a pic from Fotopic but here's a link: http://gallery126268.fotopic.net/p54937656.html

nbt

I bottled that bit @ lees quarry but rode the slab at Gisburn with only a moment's hesitation

firestarter
    Free Member

looks good that lee quarry place 😉 some potential bad falls looking at the pix . might have to have a trip over there

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How does it compare to this bit at Lee Quarry (for people who've been to both)?

We did both on the same day. That section at Lee Q is far harder, IMO. If you can ride that, you'll not even slow down for the Gisburn slab.

higgo
    Free Member

Looks good that lee quarry place some potential bad falls looking at the pix . Might have to have a trip over there

It is good. It's just like you'd imagine a trail centre in a quarry to be – lots of rock! At the moment it's very short. You've either got to do a good few laps or combine into a longer route – we ride from Edenfield, twice round the quarry and back.

A couple of the guys we spoke to on Sunday were riding Gisburn in the morning and Lee Quarry in the afternoon.

firestarter
    Free Member

dont suppose you know how far apart they are do you ? im not sure where lee quarry is at all

lowey

Didnt even think about riding the slab, straight over no problem, but I have never ridden that skinny at Lee Quarry.

higgo
    Free Member

That section at Lee Q is far harder, IMO. If you can ride that, you'll not even slow down for the Gisburn slab.

I can ride the black section in Lee Q badly so I may slow down a little on the Gisburn Slab. 😆

higgo
    Free Member

Lee Quarry info (inc postcode) here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/north-west/lee-quarry/

(Multimap (or the like) will tell you how far apart they are)

stumpyjon

Lee Quarry to Gisburn is about 45mins if you know the way. The slab averages 42 degrees, measured it using an iPhone app after the intial debates over steepness. It just feels very steep from the top and there is a slight turn which doesn't help just as you commit. It's probably all mental, I probably rode more difficult stuff on Sunday around Ogden which I didn't know was coming and had no choice but to commit to.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Funny OP should think that he's missed the slab. I rode Gisburn and don't think I went own the slab either. Saw the bits he's referring to, but WTF is the turn? Went down the big bermy bits, but is that before or after the slab? Never saw a turn that I didn't take. What have we both missed?

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers chaps

justme
    Free Member

the slab at gisburn isn't difficult but it a bit of a head game if you hesitate and think it may get to you but if you just ride it without any thought its ok
    most of the black at lee is much more difficult than anything at gisburn and the consequences of getting it wrong are much worse imo g

Bregante

dammit. I missed the slab too. Back next week then 😀

repatriot
    Free Member

Yep, I too totally forgot about that bit when we were going round but looking at the photo it just looks like a point and hold on chute! Where as the red was kind of fun little switch backs and probably a longer decent.
    Next time then Mr Mighty and i promise not to fall a sleep(honest).

TonyL
    Free Member

By this time next year you should be able to ride from Lee Quarry to Gisburn prety much all off road. Then you can do both in the same day as part of a 70mile challenge ride!

Gary_C

Nightride at Gisburn tomorrow.
    The slab in the dark…..(ok,so in the LED light)… 😀

nbt

but WTF is the turn? Went down the big bermy bits, but is that before or after the slab?

the big berms are after the slab. The route goes along a fire road for quite some way, ending in a quarry area. You then go onto purpose built singletrack for quite some way inclusing odd jumps as you cross a boggy bit on raised track. This leads into a slightly downhill section with a couple of berms, then a climb. At the top of a climb you run alongside a wall. Here you can either drop right and backinto the section you just did, or left through the wall. as you pass through the wall you are directly below the slab. The trail leads off to the left down through a series of berms (and hip jumps if you are going fast enough). As the berms finish (or maybe before, I've only ridden it once), there's a fork off to the right up to the Slab. If you miss the turning you end up on the fireroad through to the massive bermy rollercoaster

twohats
    Free Member

Apparently when we rode at Gisburn we went down the slab, can't say as I ever noticed! 😕

TeaBoyPaul

Is there a trail map/guide for Gisburn or is it just a case of following your nose?! Thinking of having a look on Saturday afternoon…

higgo
    Free Member

I'd say it's pretty easy to follow your nose but then it seems I missed 'The Slab Of Certain Death'

so follow your nose but keep your eyes open.

TeaBoyPaul
    ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

the big berms are after the slab. The route goes along a fire road for quite some way, ending in a quarry area. You then go onto purpose built singletrack for quite some way inclusing odd jumps as you cross a boggy bit on raised track. This leads into a slightly downhill section with a couple of berms, then a climb. At the top of a climb you run alongside a wall. Here you can either drop right and backinto the section you just did, or left through the wall. as you pass through the wall you are directly below the slab. The trail leads off to the left down through a series of berms (and hip jumps if you are going fast enough). As the berms finish (or maybe before, I've only ridden it once), there's a fork off to the right up to the Slab. If you miss the turning you end up on the fireroad through to the massive bermy rollercoaster

I followed that quite easily, until a rough bit that I could go either side of – right was hard, left was easy – then went through a wall and across some open country, onto a fireroad. Must have been at the high point of the route. Then I saw a sign for the black route, which was the start of the bermy bit. Sounds like there's a turn in there that I've missed, just after the wall and before the bermy bits. Good excusde to go back.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Does that even register on the GNAR-o-meter?

lowey

After you have gone through the hole in the wall, you can see the slab up on your right. The access to it is a little further on, on your right.

stumpyjon

Just before you go through the wall the second time to enter the sandy berms 😉

robdob
    Free Member

I did think it was waaaaaaay easier than everyone was making out on STW.

That's me in the first pic

It's not technical at all, it's just a slope made of stone.

higgo
    Free Member

Me, earlier today…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Could I have ridden round Gisburn and not ridden down 'the slab'?’ is closed to new replies.