Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic Soul – Alternatives?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Evening all. Looking at getting another Soul (a used one) and was just wondering what the collectives thoughts are on alternatives around the same price on the used market? Want something that’ll build up nice and light but still take a bit of a pasting.

So far I’m thinking:
    Soul
    P7 (heavier and don’t need/want slidey dropouts)
    ???

mrblobby
    Free Member

Almost decided on a Soul myself, but quite like the look of the Genesis Latitude 853 too, may not be that many on the used market though. Closest to a Soul (if you are looking for light and steel) that I can find.

tang
    Free Member

Get another soul.

RustySpanner

Been thinking along the same lines recently:

Something from Whyte?

Rock Lobster if you’re jey curious, or a Prince Albert if not.

Pipedream Sirius?

456 Carbon?

Piglet?

mboy
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude/Latitude is very similar. I’ve got a Ti one, it’s lovely, had the 853 version before which was equally lovely, just a bit heavier. Sold it on here not long ago actually as I’m so smitten with the Ti frame it’s staying for good.

There’s also the Dialled Prince Albert, Pipedream Sirius/Scion, the Whyte 19 Steel and probably a few others that have escaped my mind for now.

stevede
    Free Member

Get another Soul, hard to beat imo and popular for a reason.

Olly
    Free Member

i have been wondering this too, so will watch this thread, but see myself ending up either not fiddling my bikes around, or getting a soul frame…

takisawa2

Sanderson Blitz

Northwind

P7 is not comparable IMO… Nice enough geometry but it’s heavy and stiffer, and not any stronger. If it said On One on the side they’d have to charge £200 for it but since it says Orange it’s a premium frame 😉

The 853 Genesis has a similiar feel to the Soul but isn’t quite as sweet handling IMO. Though of course that’s a matter of taste. It’s also about half a pound heavier apparently.

The frame I’ve ridden that feels most like my old Soul, is my Carbon 456. The geometry is different, the handling character is a little different but it has the same spirit.

mboy
    Free Member

The 853 Genesis has a similiar feel to the Soul but isn’t quite as sweet handling IMO. Though of course that’s a matter of taste. It’s also about half a pound heavier apparently.

Ridden both, and if anything I’d say the Genesis is slightly sweeter handling. It is definitely at it’s best with 120mm forks though, and fine with shorter, the Soul is probably better suited if you want longer travel up front.

Weight difference isn’t as much as half a pound, the Soul is lighter but there’s just over 1/4lb in it, having weighed my old Genesis against the quoted weight of a bare Soul frame.

Northwind

Cheers for that, only ever seen “internet fact” weights for the Genesis 🙂 It didn’t quite click with me in the same way as the Soul did, it was very good but not magic.

james
    Free Member

Along similar ish lines, R853, slightly heavier (0.2-0.3lbs claimed) would be the sanderson life (cromo breath being claimed at 0.4-0.5lb heavier also)

bol

My Sanderson Life felt very similar. It’s pretty light for a steel frame and made me feel rather quick and skilful if I recal. So it must have been good.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. Think I was thinking along the right lines with another Soul.

So now the search for Soul #2 starts! Anyone got a medium Soul for sale? Ideally in orange and in mint nick?

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers for that, only ever seen “internet fact” weights for the Genesis It didn’t quite click with me in the same way as the Soul did, it was very good but not magic.

Fair enough… The Soul does have another advantage in bigger tyre clearance too if that matters to anyone…

Anyway, my Ti Altitude IS Magic, and it’s not a flexy noodle like the Soda’s I’ve seen. In fact it rides pretty much just like the steel version, perhaps very subtly less harsh over trail buzz, but also a good bit lighter (frame weight bare was a smudge under 3.5lb).

It also cost me less than the price of a new Soul frame 2nd hand barely ridden! 😉

Good luck in your search for another Soul frame anyway, you do see them for sale occasionally, but be quick when you do as they don’t hang about long…

Olly
    Free Member

Anyone got a medium Soul for sale? Ideally in orange and in mint nick?

a bloke called Cy has a few, and can generally be found over on the cotic website ;p

brant
    Free Member

There is no alternative to the Soul to be honest.

I haven’t seen anyone doing a production 853 frame that even approaches the level of detailing and pernicketyness that Cy puts into his designs.

Bang on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul – Alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.