Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cotic Soda and Salsa Ala Cart Ti. Are they basically the same?
  • udder
    Free Member

I've been checking out both of these frames as I've been seriously thinking about a nice treat for my 30th.

I'm no engineer or any kind of expert, but to me, these frames are VERY similar.

Both are built at Lynskey out of 3Al/2.5V Titanium and share which seems to me like identical geometry.

The only difference I can find is are the seat stays, where the Cotic uses a wishbone looking type of stay and the Salsa uses a conventional looking one (like I said, I'm no engineer). Apart from that, they really do look identical right down to the dropouts.

I had pretty much decided to go for the Cotic until I saw pictures of the Salsa on over on bikeradar, but for that sort of money I wanted something both amazing to ride and that's rather exclusive. To me, it looks like Lynskey are churning out virtually identical titanium frames under different brand names. Am I right? Do the different seat stays make one better than the other?

brant
    Free Member

To me, it looks like Lynskey are churning out virtually identical titanium frames under different brand names. Am I right?

Lynskey build whatever you tell them to. However you want them to, within the constraints of how they want to build them. There are certain things that Lynskey will and won't do, in terms of joint integrity and stuff.

When I work with Lynskey I give them a geometry, specification, and work with them backwards and forwards over a few iterations of "we'd like to do it like this", and they say "how about like that" and we massage things until we're both happy. I wouldn't be so bold as to lay down the law to them in certain areas of "fabrication", but I nail geometry down unless there are reasons why it won't work.

So in answer to your questions:-
    1) No.
    2) No.

gee
    Free Member

I ride for Salsa and have a ti A La Carte on order – it was due in Jan, then Feb, then March, now May. I'm not sure how available they will be beyond May. In the UK they will be special order only. If you want to have a look at one, we may have them by Enduro6, failing that hopefully by BMBS R2 so come and have a look.

Thanks

GB

udder
    Free Member

Thanks for answering my question.

So, despite the two different companies both putting their unique and personal ideas across to Lynskey the frames have turned out looking pretty much the same by coincidence then?

udder
    Free Member

Thanks for the invite gee but I've got to work that weekend 🙁

brant
    Free Member

So, despite the two different companies both putting their unique and personal ideas across to Lynskey the frames have turned out looking pretty much the same by coincidence then?

Not really coincidence. I think the closer you look, the more difference you'd see. I'm not overly familiar with either bike. Our TD-1 is Lynskey built and "similar" I guess, but has different wheel size, bent seat tube, oval top tube, different curve on the downtube, different dropouts, different seatstay bridge, different cable guide and different graphics.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50055

cy

They look similar so they're the same? Seriously? They look more similar than most Lynskey frames because Salsa appear to have chosen the same finish/graphic option, but it stops there. The Soda has:

Cotic sizing and geometry (and that DOES make a difference)
    Ovalform top tube like all new Cotics (which looking at the Salsa will be lighter than theirs)
    Cotic back end (which we bought the tooling for to make the bends just right for chainring and tyre clearance)

They're no more similar than a Soul and a steel A la Carte.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I really don't like Lynskey Ti frames. Can no-one else compete in the world of Ti?

wwaswas

why ScottChegg?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They keep snapping.

Two different brands, 3 frames. All snapped. And before the obvious 'you shouldn't be such a fat git' comments, the warranty replacement for one went to an 8 stone whippet and I didn't even ride it. It snapped after about 6 months.

It sort of colours your view.

wwaswas

I've seen 1 456 that went on the seat stay/dropout but they can't 'keep' doing it?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I've seen another.

wwaswas

so 2 then?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soda and Salsa Ala Cart Ti. Are they basically the same?’ is closed to new replies.