Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)
  • Corpses on Everest
  • boblo
    Free Member

Hmmmm split the party faux pas…. sounds like the Guide was a bit of a twit. Not sure if we’re debating poor guiding or decisions made in extremis?

boblo
    Free Member

<bollox double post>

tazzymtb

Real climbers and mountaineers look after their own (and that includes all sherpas and others in the party) a mate was mountaineering ’96 when they came across two sherpas who had been left to die by their commercial party who had paid for an evacuation, but didn’t want to pay the extra for the locals. They were seen as a disposable item and a hinderance to getting back to comforts of their hotel and the flights home.

Tim
    Free Member

grum – Member

Quite right, so lets leave the last words to someone who has –

This was the story I referred to earlier – why is that the guy with no legs got picked on for not helping?

I don’t think he is personally, he is just the figurehead (because of his disability he is the most famous) for the groups that decided the summit was more important than a mans life

As said before, to me there is a distinct difference between stopping an ascent to help, and being unable to help on a descent…seems some in the thread are purposefully blurring these lines.

However, i am not a climber…

Edukator
    Free Member

I thought we were discussing the commercial objective getting in the way of humanist values; giving a sporting and commercial objective a higher value than someone’s life. If 40 people walked past someone in difficulty on Mont Blanc they could all be prosecuted for “non assistance à personne en danger”. It needs something like that to stop such callous behaviour on high mountains. If you’d offered those 40 people that walked past $200 000 each to participate in a rescue attempt the man would have been saved.

jhw
    Free Member

when they came across two sherpas who had been left to die by their commercial party who had paid for an evacuation, but didn’t want to pay the extra for the locals.

That’s extraordinary – did that really happen? Sounds like something the UN should be involved in

boblo
    Free Member

The UN policing Mount Everest? Whatever next? 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Well it needs something. Colonial style exploitation of the local population, leaving people to die when you have the means to save them, turning the place into a cross between a morgue and a rubbish tip. A zone in which the normal values of mountian lovers are in no way respected. No wonder Sir Edmund is not happy.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Given that the majority sit uncaring in centrally heated houses day in day out watching people dying on the news, vote for the party that will cut taxes the most and never mind the social cost to others, and not stop to help someone in the town centre, I think its unlikely that any other attitude will exist in the majority of climbers either.

boblo
    Free Member

How did this turn into a climbers are heartless bastards and nurses are not worthy’ thread?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

How did this turn into a climbers are heartless bastards and nurses are not worthy’ thread?

Easy, it was posted on STW.

donsimon
    Free Member

I guess the most important point that hasn’t been covered is whether the nurses were wearing helmets and also if it’s OK for one climber to pass another on the inside. I demand answers!!

redthunder
    Free Member

It’s like that on Helvellyn. Bodies of Red Socks everywhere 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Has Sir Edmund Hilary made similar comments about climbers other than David Sharp?

It seems to me that David Sharps actions were so far into recklessness that I would not be surprised if others felt that they didn’t want to risk their lives saving him.

nedrapier

Edukator – Member
    Well it needs something. Colonial style exploitation of the local population, leaving people to die when you have the means to save them, turning the place into a cross between a morgue and a rubbish tip. A zone in which the normal values of mountian lovers are in no way respected. No wonder Sir Edmund is not happy.

Edukator, I’ve found some of your posts on this site high-handed and patronising, but in this case I absolutely 100% agree with you. No spare words, no flannel, no distracting bullshit.

Edukator
    Free Member

Really? I thought I was just being arrogant, opinionated and self-righteous as usual.

nedrapier

Well, every now and then, it coincides with being right.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve ski toured with a couple of British UIAGM guides based in Argentiere who were also involved in hauling people up Everest. We spent quite a bit of time with them on long tours and nothing they said ever convinced me that this was anything other than a money making scam. They recognise that to have climbed Everest is the ultimate boast for an egotist and they pander to this egotism. It is naked commercial greed and exploitation of the mountain. I’ve been climbing mountains, skiing through and off them and MTBing them for 47 years and I know there are mountaineering exploits far harder and requiring far more skill and strength of character than Everest but these are unknown to the public and not boast-worthy.

The same British guides are amongst the investors behind an hotel high up on the Chinese side, again as far as I could see this was nothing other than a means of getting more clients up the mountain and earning more revenue from it.

iDave
    Free Member

Last year I was invited to go on a cattle class Everest trip and declined. Pay $40k then someone points at the top and says off you go. I should have done it 25 years ago when I had a more interesting opportunity.

I can’t see the value in reaching the summit now other than ego-****.

trailmonkey

Edukator – Member

A zone in which the normal values of mountian lovers are in no way respected. No wonder Sir Edmund is not happy.

Edukator – Member

Really? I thought I was just being arrogant, opinionated and self-righteous as usual.

Who the **** are these “mountain lovers” whose values you automatically assume should have primacy ? Who the **** is Sir Edmund Hilary in the grand scheme of things ? You seem to be making a lot of assumptions that the rest of humanity should adhere to. In this regard, your self description seems highly accurate.

ditch_jockey

Ed’s dead…

boblo
    Free Member

If climbing Everest was just an ‘ego ****’ and so straightforward why on earth is it knee deep in corpses?

The ‘ordinary route’ might not be the epitome of alpine style Himalayan mountaineering but it’s still a very serious undertaking. Make no mistake.

Edukator
    Free Member

“Mountain lovers”, people who think it important to leave mountains as they found them bar a few footprints; people who adhere to mountain code of conduct. Sir Ed was the first man up there and spent a lot of time working with the locals when not drunk. Worth listening to IMO, Monkey.

My mate was back on his MTB this morning but still coughing his lungs up whenever the trail went up hill.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

if a “mountain lover” were about to die on Everest they would set light to themselves so as not to litter the mountain…

Viewing 24 posts - 161 through 184 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Corpses on Everest’ is closed to new replies.