Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Continental Tyres – Telling which are Black Chili – How?
  • letmetalktomark

Do the little crowns(?) in between the treads indicate the wonder compound?

trigrwoods
    Free Member

I believe if the tyre says made in germany on them then they are the black chili compound.

lovewookie

ride over anything slightly damp.

if you end up on your arse, they’re standard compound.

if you end up thinking you’ll be on your arse soon, they’re black chilli.

jedi

pmsl@lovewookie

nickdavies

Crowns on the tread indicate black chilli, made in germany also does but it’s not on some of the new ones.

Or do what lovewookie suggests… 😉

duir
    Free Member

If they are superb in pish conditions but a bit small and really expensive with rubbish sidewalls they are Black Chilli Baron’s.

If their grip is appalling and the side walls sliced/ripped but your mate with a 25lb carbon enduro bike and an audi who has never ridden in the Lakes or Scotland is telling you they are amazing then they are everything else Continental make.

chiefgrooveguru

Crowns on the tread don’t. Made In Germany is always black chili, everything else isn’t. If they were cheap then they aren’t – I’ve never seen a black chili tyre at less than £30.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Crowns on the tread don’t. Made In Germany is always black chili, everything else isn’t. If they were cheap then they aren’t – I’ve never seen a black chili tyre at less than £30.

Mine were when I sold them on ebay having got sick of the mud sticking to them 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

I quite like my BC Rubber Queens.

The Race Sport have wafer thin sidewalls, go for the Protection tubeless ready version, added weight, but the thicker sidewalls & weight are worth it for the performance gain over the RS.

frackit
    Free Member

Nuts – that means the pair of new Rubber Queens I’ve just bought aren’t Black Chili as they are made in India – guess that explains why I keep ending up on my arse at the slightest sign of moisture.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Always liked my RQ black Chilli tyres, but yes I ripped a couple – running High Rollers now, tonnes or grip but terrible rolling resistance in comparison – if there’s a tyre that rolls like a rubber queen and grips like a high roller I’d love to know what it’s called!

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Protection versions don’t have made in Germany on it as the protection logo goes there. Afaik all protection versions are black chilli though…

timmys

The Crown is for Rubber Queen (and presumably now Trail King). Like others said Made in Germany is what you are looking for but also he moulding on the sidewalls is different (kinda chessboard versus cross hatching).

frackit
    Free Member

I said it before and I’ll say it again. Arse.

chiefgrooveguru

If it isn’t written in big letters then it’s moulded into the tyre. In fact, doesn’t every single vehicle tyre have its country of manufacture shown on it?

Bloody infuriating though, isn’t it? Even more stupid than how Continental call it “black chili compound” when there are dozens of different variants.

frackit
    Free Member

S’pose I’d better order some more rubber then. What’s the verdict – Black Chili Trail Kings/Rubber Queens or something else?

thekettle
    Free Member

It’s not a crown on the tyre – it’s a black chilli 🙄
    My vote is with BC Apex/protection Trail Kings. 2.4 if you ride in the Lakes or Scotland and have lots of tyre clearance.

chiefgrooveguru

It’s not a crown on the tyre – it’s a black chilli

This same discussion happened some months back. Find a photo that shows these “black chilis” and I’ll believe you – however I’m 99% certain that they’re not, they’re variations on different crowns.

SOAP
    Free Member

Rubber Queen that are “Handmade in Germany”or the newer Trail King with “Protection” “UST” and “Racesport” are Black chili.
    The crown in the tread is nothing.
    Some of the older Rubber Queen UST were Black chili but had no makings.

Northwind

frackit – Member

S’pose I’d better order some more rubber then. What’s the verdict – Black Chili Trail Kings/Rubber Queens or something else?

They’re pretty good. Extremely cloggy in mud unfortunately which spoils them a bit… Excellent straight line/braking grip, tons of volume, really good for smashing over rocks and the like, glom round roots well, maybe not quite as good cornering grip as they could have but still decent. Sidewalls seemed flimsy but I never had any issues to be fair What do you want to do with them?

bigjim

It’s not a crown on the tyre – it’s a black chilli

Looks more like a trident to me

frackit
    Free Member

@Northwind My main aim is to try and avoid crashing in a muddy heap through the winter on the Surrey Hills – new to this mountain biking lark and wanted something a little more sticky than the Maxxis Ikons that came on my Whyte 629

Northwind

Well no matter what they’ll give you more grip than Ikons. Though also will roll like a paving slab, by comparison. It’s usually a good idea to get locals recommendations, I’ve never ridden round there

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m heading out with an Ikon up front, it’s dry and dusty and it’s not that sticky 🙂

No reason to play the Conti lottery though 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the Crown just ties in with the King/Queen element of the naming.

I’ve taken the approach “if it seems to good to be true” basically that a £15 Conti is going to be the Far Eastern OE version that doesn’t come with grip as standard.

jamesy01
    Free Member

I have £26.99 🙂

bigjim

I’m pretty sure the Crown just ties in with the King/Queen element of the naming.

It’s on Barons too

Goldigger
    Free Member

You need to give the tyre a good lick.. preferably before a ride encase of remnants of dog shit..
    if they r spicy there chilly.. 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Touch them then rub your eye. Sorted

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It won’t help unless you can actually see the box/packaging before you buy, but the Conti website suggests there is a produce code on the box and you can then tie this to whether they are Black Chilli or not:

Conti Baron Table

chiefgrooveguru

To confuse matters further, it looks like Continental now offer some tyres which sit in between the brilliance of black chili compounds and the teflon terror of their cheaper versions: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/te_PureGrip.shtml

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Black Chilli Rubber Queen 2.4’s that I no longer need. Still got the moulding “spikes” on one of them. No visible wear on the other…….

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Continental Tyres – Telling which are Black Chili – How?’ is closed to new replies.