Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Conti mountain king II tyres
  • jezyeti
    Free Member

Hi all,

Sorry for another tyre question but in a bit of a quandry. Bought these tyres after reading dirt 100 review, looked on chain reaction product description and fair price, tubless and black chili… I have used non black chili and was not too impressed.

They arrived, fitted onto the rims easily, held air but came up pretty small for a 2.2 and then saw made in Taiwan… Got me thinking as I had been reading that black chili are only made in Germany. Anyway after a fair bit of digging found out that Continental don’t make a black chili ust mountain king II, seems Chain reaction have been telling fibs…

Not sure what to do as I want to ride while the weather is okay but feel like sending the tyres back as they are not what was described and don’t really want to have to change in six months as they have as much grip as a dog on a laminate floor.

Has anybody got or used these tyres or just send them back and get rubber queen black chili and x king??

Thanks

muggomagic

Send them back get a refund and buy them from bike-discount.de

alpin
    Free Member

non-black chilli are pants, but you know that.

phone up CRC and moan like a ***** (knife in portuguese). they might be reasonable and send you a set of tyres without you having to send back the Mountain Kings.

either way i wouldn’t use them. they are ok as a rear tyre, but i don#t like them on the front.

muggomagic

The chart on the conti website says UST not available in black chilli

Continental UK

jezyeti
    Free Member

Alpin – Thats what I thought but not when made in Taiwan and I looked at the conti homepage and they state that they do not make a Black chili UST Mountain king II… protection black chili and racing black chili variants only but not UST…

Senta an email to CRC customer services as the description of the tyres is basically wrong and misleading.

MSP

The protection and racesport are black chilli, and tubeless ready, but not full tubeless/ust.

Onzadog
    Free Member

what was the conclusion? CRC are selling these at a tenner off. Are they legit or mis-sold?

sonofapitch
    Free Member

slight hijack but still conti only rubber queen

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=rubber+queen

QUESTION: Is the £25.99 folding, Black chili? and if so why pay £38.99

chiefgrooveguru

No. Buying Continental tyres is a right pain with all the incorrect descriptions that proliferate. I ordered a RQ 2.2 BC recently and got an RQ 2.2 BC UST – think the shops are as confused as us!

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, they’re not. From what I understand, non black chili conti tyres are bad, bad news.

bigbloke
    Free Member

so what is so bad about their normal tyres then?

jimr80
    Free Member

Another hijack,

has anyone suffered with the mountain king breaking their bead / sidewall? In that they are true all the way round and then suddenly kink as if the rim has a massive buckle in them. I remember jedi mentioning this in one of his blogs and i have a newish pair which after 5 or so rides have both developed this fault.
    Do continental warrant these ? I purchased them from a german site so probably will just have to bin then,which seams a shame as are like new.

colournoise

jimr80 – Member
    Another hijack,
    has anyone suffered with the mountain king breaking their bead / sidewall? In that they are true all the way round and then suddenly kink as if the rim has a massive buckle in them. I remember jedi mentioning this in one of his blogs and i have a newish pair which after 5 or so rides have both developed this fault.
    Do continental warrant these ? I purchased them from a german site so probably will just have to bin then,which seams a shame as are like new.

Just had exactly his happen with an X King Protection. Emailed Conti and they asked me to send tyre back to them directly (actually to Cambrian – the distributor) rather then back to seller and they will replace under warranty. Said it was something that happens every so often.

slainte ➡ rob

honourablegeorge

jimr80 – Member
    Another hijack,

Heppened my RQs. Seems widespread with their tyres.

honourablegeorge

colournoise – Member
    jimr80 – Member

Just had exactly his happen with an X King Protection. Emailed Conti and they asked me to send tyre back to them directly (actually to Cambrian – the distributor) rather then back to seller and they will replace under warranty. Said it was something that happens every so often.

Changed their tune, then – they had no interest in mine.

pondy
    Free Member

just ordered these today

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=83001

seem cheap but didnt read into them to much, just after a decent tyre for general trail use? any good?

lipseal
    Free Member
    jezyeti
    Free Member

Well I got a reply from chain reaction and they confirmed that the UST tyres were not black chilli and that the marketing/web dept had just lifted a generic description. She was very sorry and sent me a ten pound voucher… this did not really help in what now seem’s me missing riding on the only dry weekend this summer.
    Also to send them back I have to drive miles for the freepost return facility and I better get a refund.

So my advice would be look very careful when buying tyres from crc as apparently they just cut and paste descriptions of tyres.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Pondy – look like non black chilli so doubt theyll be really good

jonba
    Free Member

I was caught out when I bought some mountain kings. THe description said mark 2 but the actual tyres sent were the original ones. Refunded no hassle but it is annoying.

I run the wire ones on my ss as they are dirt cheap and perform really well. Run mine ghetto tubeless and in my experience of conti tyres I’ve never been able to tell the difference with the black chilli and normal ones.

Cheap if you get the tyres from here.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Continental-Mountain-King-II-Rigid-MTB-Tyre/CONTTYMR282

I love the mountain kings though and I think I’ll be putting the lighter folding versions on my race bike when the current ones run out. Seem to work really well in all conditions.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Conti mountain king II tyres’ is closed to new replies.