Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • complete bollox – dog rehoming content
  • iDave
    Free Member

Sadly my beloved Spud bit my son in the face today. I like my son a bit more than the dog, and his mum is a rabid dog hater. Therefore Spud needs a new home. I’m gutted. He has been an amazing little chap. The bite was an instinctive reaction to a sudden movement but missed my lads eye by a few mm and drew blood. Therefore, Spud needs a new home. He has been brilliant running, biking, chilling. Good on a lead, great with other dogs. In the North Staffs area if anyone is interested. He’s vaccinated and chipped.

donsimon
    Free Member

Bugger. 😥

ojom
    Free Member

Don’t dogs (as much as i love them) get put down when they bite a person?

Or is that a myth i have been told?

ah thats sad idave i would like to take him on if I had the house!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TBC – only if someone complains to the cops and the owner agrees or a court does

ton

dont kids get a smacked arse for tormenting dogs?

ojom
    Free Member

Ah that makes sense. I suppose the feds wouldn’t know unless reported. I blame this thickness on the co-codomol.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is the boy any good at laying patios? If so I could take him off your hands??

I’d also love the dog, pretty sure the fact that I’m out the house for long hours most days would not be a good thing though.

Feel for you iDave, must be shit!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Probably best to get him put down. The next kid he bites might not be so lucky

rockhopper70

had to give up my rescue greyhound at the weekend after 18months of great company….
    had an issue and turned on me so I had to barracade it in the kitchen ’till the vet turned up to sedate her.
    back at the home now….. 🙁

cinnamon_girl

I am sorry to hear that and, most importantly, hope your son is OK.

Judging by your reports, Spud seemed to be settling into a route. You have nevertheless made the correct decision.

Good luck with rehoming.

iDave
    Free Member

the dog wasn’t being ‘tormented’ ton 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

Probably best to get him put down. The next kid he bites might not be so lucky

Bless!

ton

dave, i have a dog and i have kids…………….are you sure?

martymac

its a shame, but, i think you are doing the right thing.
    i agree, kids more important than an animal.
    i like jack russels, but they do have a tendency to be a little bit snappy unfortunately.
    hope your wee laddie is ok, and that you find a suitable home for the wee dog.

br
    Free Member

My dog bit my (middle) son when he was a toddler, while the dog was brill with the eldest for some reason he never took to the next one.

Again on the face, just bit him straight – while in the house, so I just took him down the vet…

toys19
    Free Member

I just asked my old man, a vet now 70, he said if you were his client he would insist it was put down, and if you didn’t agree he would tell the cops.

Lovely creatures Jack Russell’s.

My stupid dog will take on most, including Rottweillers (idiot), yet he didn’t seem to have an answer for the Jack Russell that just flew at him and hung off his lip snarling

iDave
    Free Member

you have your dog and your kids ton

i have my dog and my kids

the dog wasn’t being tormented

ton

dave, and just to say, i was not having a go.
    but kids and dogs can mean trouble.
    my daughter play fights with our labby molly, and often come away on the losing side.

just seems a bit harsh people saying have the dog put down.

Good job you put complete bollox in your thread title, as there was bound to be a load appear on here sooner or later.

elaineanne
    Free Member

hmmm.. trickey this one…cos who ever takes him off your hands will at some point go through the same problem as you have just been in..
    have a chat with a rescue dog home, for some advice…

chewkw
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that.

Remind me of our beloved pet dog many years ago.

When my niece was 3 (my nephew was 5 then) she was bitten on her face by our 18yr old half blind and deaf cross breed collie. She needed some stitches to her face but nothing disfiguring but also very near to her eyes. The dog was asleep as I was told when she probably stepped on its tail.

The dog was Not put down nor was given away (it was scolded though) and it remained the same as it was until it died of old age in the same year or a year later. It was a loving dog but nevertheless when it aged there was nothing we could do. We did not blame the dog.

Rehoming is the best option but do let the next owner know kids might not be suitable around it.

No need to put the dog down. It’s just animal instinct.

🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

How does the lad feel towards the dog right now? If he’s okay, it might be easier to get rid of the wife!

Sorry to hear about your predicament. From all the previous threads it sounds like you think the world of spud. On a serious note, how does your lad feel about spud? He might feel really guilty if he felt it was his fault that spud was no more.

j_me
    Free Member

Might be worth pointing out whether he has his complete bollox or not.
    Tough one. Good luck!

midlifecrashes

We have a rehomed Saluki x Greyhound here, and he is snappy. He’s bitten our other dog and our neighbour’s too. He also had a go for my daughter too but did no damage. It’s clear he could do with a calmer home and we’ve registered with local kennels and rescue society, but just after Christmas is a busy time for them. Since Christmas time when the extra noise and stress got to him he’s been wearing a wire racing type muzzle all the time he’s out, and while the house is busy. He seems calmer when he’s wearing it too so it isn’t a big burden to him, but it has bought him time. He’s a sweet natured dog too and we’ll be sad if he goes too. Hope Spud finds a good home, but if you are nervous in the meantime, try him with a muzzle to keep everyone’s mind at rest.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Its a dog. It bit your kid. A cm away your kid would have lost their eye.

If that had happened you wouldn’t be on here, you would be taking the dog to the vets and getting it put down. wouldn’t you?

Drac

A hard decision but kids come first.

I just asked my old man, a vet now 70, he said if you were his client he would insist it was put down, and if you didn’t agree he would tell the cops.

Just what would the Police do for a nip on the cheek to Dave’s own child? Fek all I’d say.

iDave
    Free Member

steve-austin, I’m well aware of that. That is why I’m rehoming, and the reasons why will be made clear. It was a freak incident, sudden movement at the dogs face, not intentional, but due to distractions. Still not risking second occurence.

he is lacking bollox.

my lad feels ok, no serious damage and he’s upset that Spud is going, but he certainly know he isn’t to blame.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

Id be so tepted to take Spud for my Dad, he loves dogs and needs a dog to keep him company and get him up in a morning ( my Dad has M.E ), but the dog would have to cope with other dogs in the house….no kids apart from my 12 year old niece that stays and she knows dogs bite so it careful and respects doggies.
    Caz xx

chewkw
    Free Member

All animals, whatever animals, can be unpredictable no matter how well you know them so unless you are absolutely sure that you can take the risk.

The solution is … Do NOT have a pet.

Even a cat. When I was in my teen I used to teased my old pet cat by softly flicking it’s balls, yes, I did that … when it got angry it would chase me around to terrorise me with its claws and I kid you not for trying to do that to an old tom cat. The cat was about 8 yrs old. A wonderer and Handsome.

Accidents happen and your dog is not 24″ tall at the shoulder and not a 9 stones beast if someone advises it should be put down, then probably these people are simply talking from their backsides.

iDave
    Free Member

Caz – Spud loves other dogs, never had an issue with that. He is very active though he gets 45 min run and 45 min walk every day.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Sad news, but the right course of action.

People saying the dog needs to be put down have no sense of middle ground.

Dogs Trust will take him and rehome sensibly away from kids. And the new owner will have it made clear that he’s best away from kids.

Hope your son is ok and doesn’t feel scared of other dogs.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

My dads got a mahooosive garden and the old pair he has now go in and out of the house an garden all day, but to be honest my Dad need to get off his bum and do some walking….I am so tempted to mention this to him….and my Mum would enjoy having a dog to walk again too, the other dogs are past it (one 16 the other 14).

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry you have to lose your mutt iDave. Of course he could be rehomed to somewhere with no kids, so knee-jerk “put it down” a bit unnecessary.

Things my dog puts up with from the kids, she never does more than bark and run off. Very lucky I suppose.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m not so sure it’s the right course of action personally. Most of my pets have torn me to shreds at one time or other from the age of about 6. Unless the pet was able to kill me (none were) it was treated as a learning process – don’t do this or you’ll get bitten as X’s don’t like to be surprised etc. There’s a difference between a reactionary nip, regardless of location, and a purposeful chomping.

Try having ferrets for pets, most evenings I’m with them I come away with bleeding fingers/wrists and that’s just from rough play, no ill intent from them at all.

But of course you know your dog best, so you’ll know if he’s likely to do it again or feel it’s something you can’t teach your child not to do.

Even a cat. When I was in my teen I used to teased my old pet cat by softly flicking it’s balls, yes, I did that … when it got angry it would chase me around to terrorise me with its claws and I kid you not for trying to do that to an old tom cat. The cat was about 8 yrs old. A wonderer and Handsome.

While I agree with the content of your post, this paragraph looks like something one of the search engine make-a-page-from-nonsense-that-looks-like-sentences results show.

Andy

Sorry to hear this. Tough one but you are right to rehome. Hope your boy is ok and as said, doesn’t have an issue with dogs in the future

iDave
    Free Member

i can look at it all quite rationally, the situation was quite unusual and i would be amazed if it ever happened again. but my ex wife is an irrational dog hater and will milk the situation and make kids coming here a tricky issue. and if it did ever happen again it could be someones eye. so, adios Spud 😥

coffeeking
    Free Member

Makes me sad I have to say, I can see the added complication you’re implying and understand that but I do wonder if a dog was the right pet if this was a risk from the outset. 🙁 That said, the dog could have been a previous choice, I’m aware, so I’m not pointing the finger.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah **** iDave. Don’t know what to say apart from I’m sorry to hear it hasn’t quite worked out and that some of the stuff already posted just isn’t helpful. Sounded like Spud and you were becoming good mates. Best of luck finding him a new home. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘complete bollox – dog rehoming content’ is closed to new replies.