• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ski.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • commuting to school?
  • taka
    Free Member

is it wise to take an (only bike) exspensive to me… bike to school? and does household insurance cover it if its been nicked or damaged? i did it for a year before when i got banned of the school buses for a while for KOing someone. but my old marin got vandalized and the school couldnt do anything about it untill my pearents threatend to take the school to court now there is a bike shelter but out of the way of any camera's..? and what is the school liable to if it gets nicked as smashed up?

tom

cyclistm
    Free Member

double post, sorry

cyclistm
    Free Member

I always used to ride my (only) best bike to school, unless it was raining, when I'd bunk off. As for liability, I expect you are on your own, I doubt your household insurance would pay up nor the school.

Only take what you can afford to get nicked.

taka
    Free Member

looks like im walking then….

cyclistm
    Free Member

Check details of the household insurance. But I suspect unless it is locked in a brick building you may not be covered.

taka
    Free Member

could take it into lesson with me 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

complicated but I suspect they will put up a sign saying you park at your own risk etc. Household insurance will depend.

Dont leave any bike locked up outside you are not prepared to have stolen is my motto.
    I can sell you a decent (but wont get nicked) claude butler with rigids if required. £50 possibly deliver /meet up next ride?

geoffj

taka – could you not cobble together some skip / hack / old commuting bike together. I have an old road bike you can have for the cost of postage £15. Needs a bit of TLC, but would probably cost less than a MTB tyre to get functional.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

hi,

have you two got any pics of the bikes please?

tom
    bevwaller@hbosplc.com

taka
    Free Member

sorry that was me above brother hadnt logged out his account…

geoffj

taka = big-chief-96?

Can do a couple tomorrow.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have but the racer is a better option actually NO ONE steals a racer these days.
    Pics on the way.

EDIT: oops yes which bike actually?

taka
    Free Member

big cheif is my brother's account which hed left logged on

cheers look foward to them

tom

taka
    Free Member

junkyard just looked at the rearhub on georges wheel the whole axel is shagged threads are nissing from the axel dunno if thats caused from the seizing or somthingelse? might just get him a deore hub and rebuild it up or maby a hope on the same as the front what is the front hub?

tom

rolfharris
    Free Member

Taka- I used to ride to school, as did a few mates. I had a ratty bike but the others had pricey ones and could leave them in the Science department's store cupboard- ask about leaving it with the PE store room or similar, they'll be keen to help you hopefully.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Can you not lock it somewhere visible rather than out of the way. I work in a primary school and have been messaged several times to let me know that 'people' have been seen in the school grounds 'showing an interest in it' (once rather conveniently during a police visit to one of the classes and one guy was even seen taking pics 🙄 ). I use several 'big-ass' locks though and it's secured in full view of a couple of classrooms -the kids will soon let me know if anyone is seen around Miss's bike 😉

taka
    Free Member

its proberly better out of the way in this case with 1500kids who wont hesitate to nick somthing off you.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, fair enough. Reckon if I worked in a high school I'd have it in the classroom with me 😉

taka
    Free Member

shame mi dad isnt teaching there anymore either could just lock it up int van but then i may aswell get a lift with him… 😉

iamsporticus
    Free Member

serious reply – get a cr4ppy bike pref a racer thats worth nothing for school

cheeky answer – you need to KO a couple of more people then the kids know to leave your stuff alone

😛

taka
    Free Member

cheeky answer – you need to KO a couple of more people then the kids know to leave your stuff alone

i think if i did that i needent bother riding to school lucky escape with the last one 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

My son rode his Atomlab to school all last year with no trouble. Mind you, they had those lockable bike pod things and he is 6'1" with a baaaad attitude (to potential tea-leafs).He's at college in the city centre this year and they don't have any secure bike facilities so he's bussing it.

robbo
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to go to another school! Not all schools are like that.
    Try to find a cyclist teacher, get a transport plan done (see the geography dept¡), get govt money for bike sheds, get the head teacher to sort out the thieves. Change your school or find a new one!

mieszko
    Free Member

Thing is that even if You ride to school on a crappy bike someone can still take some bits off it that he might find useful. My mate is a bouncer and he locks his bike outside the club he works in. When he had to go inside as there were some problems with one guy someone nicked his qr`s.

I use my road bike to ride to work, gym and uni (if the weather is good) and taped all logos, plus have a big solid U-lock, very thick cable to catch both wheels, kryptonite saddle saver cable and an coil lock just in case. Tesco used to do a LOX chain (looked more like a motorcycle chain) for about £12-14 it looked solid and was very heavy, long enough to catch both wheels. My mate used to leave it at work so that he wouldn't have to carry it and then just lock the bike once he's there. Must have been a good chain as he gave it to a friend to lock his scooter in Pilton area of Edinburgh and no one nicked it 🙂

Worst thing is that even if they will not manage to nick it they can give it a kicking, slash the tyres etc so if they can't have it, neither will You.

ski
    Free Member

Have a look round for a hack bike for you commute, will probably cost you less than a decent lock for your pride and joy.

I am lucky now that I can keep my commuter away from the public, before then I used to lose roughly two a year.

Agree with the above posts, a tatty racer will last longer from thieves than a mtb.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘commuting to school?’ is closed to new replies.