Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Commuting from North Berwick to Edinburgh
  • Dair
    Free Member

Does anyone do this? If so, could you recommend a route and give me a rough idea of the time it takes, assuming an average speed of 15-20mph?

Cheers

TheFlyingOx

That's a reasonable trek for a commute every day. I'd come up the main road through Gullane, Aberlady, Cockenzie, into Musselburgh, up Milton Road and past Meadowbank. It's probably not much shy of 25 miles but pretty flat, so you're looking at about 1hr 30mins each way.

Or you could just get the train…

mangatank
    Free Member

It'll be busy, and the roads can be very tight, but you should be able to find a route along the A198 and B1348. An hour(factoring in traffic etc)? Depends on where you work in Edinburgh of course.

Dair
    Free Member

I live and Edinburgh and work in the city centre (Lothian Road), but my brother is renting a house in North Berwick for a week, so it seemed like a good opportunity to have a couple of days of hard commuting.

Maybe I could get the train in and cycle back. If it's anything like my current commute to the west of the city, there is usually a westerly.

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

I live in Joppa, work on Princes St.

Takes me 20m to ride to work and maybe 40m to ride from Gullane to home, so 1-1:30 sounds reasonable.

RustyMac

Used to live in Gullane, never biked to Edinburgh but the route the Flying Ox suggests would be the way i would go. I believe the train from North Berwick is pretty busy in the morning. It may not be a bad idea to check on availability for taking a bike during peak times.

mangatank
    Free Member

Quite a trek indeed! But certainly doable. The trip to the city outskirts will be lovely. Thereafter…hmm. Leith? London Road? That'll slow you down.

I used to commute in from Linlithgow via the Union Canal (excuse to use the MTB on a daily basis). It was around 23 miles (it took 120 minutes-ish), after all the twists of the route. Got the train or a lift back one day a week to keep it sane though. God knows where I got the energy for all that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The commute's not bad – up Porty road (busy but wide and fast) then through the park and the grassmarket.

Def do it for a couple of days. Turn right at the race course to avoid Musselburgh centre.

Dair
    Free Member

Okay, so it looks like The Flying Ox's route until I get to Portobello, when I follow Cynic-al's route.

Cheers, guys.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I usually stay in North Berwick when I'm working at Torness, from what I remember its a fair jaunt from Edinburgh to North Berwick, but maybe there's a more direct route.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Wouldn't it be easier to get the train and cycle home or vies-versa!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Commuting from North Berwick to Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.