Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Commuting fail (pointless sharing content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I got up in plenty of time to get on my bike to work, so I thought I'd make myself a coffee (which I don't normally do). Unfortunately I now seem to want to relax with it and surf a bit, and it's just too late to set off by bike.

The long distance commute thing is okay but it just takes so long that everything's a rush and a stress. Especially as I got b*llocked for being 10 minutes late a few times. That just adds to the hassle.

So I'll probly drive*. Could maybe cycle to the train but that takes ages too. If I drive I'll be home by four (instead of eight) and I can get out for a short fast training ride tonight, which will probably do me better for the race on Sunday anyway.

* powered by recycled cooking oil, naturally 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

if your geting home 4 hours early i would drive as well

molgrips
    Free Member

Been trying to do the commute to save money as well as getting the training in. I struggled a lot this last few weeks tho – either I overdid it at first or I was sickening with something and kept on riding. Also stress at work.

However, I finish tomorrow. YEAH!

mogrim

You get bollocked for getting in 10 minutes late??? Your boss would have a heart attack here in Spain 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i would be torn a new a-hole if i was late!! (army)

grumm
    Free Member

I would probably get a commendation if I was only 10 minutes late to work 😛

ton

i would deck the boss if he gave me a bollocking for being 10 mins late……………. 😉

crazy-legs

I have flexi-time – I'm never 10 mins late, I'm just working a bit longer that evening. 🙂

willard

The joy of flexi-time and working from home.

I am currently say with a cuppa in the lounge watching the dogs beat thmselves up. I have to be in for 10am today and tomorrow, but yesterday managed to get in for about 1pm.

I can do about 95% of my job with just an internet connection, but need a work phone for that last 5%.

molgrips
    Free Member

You get bollocked for getting in 10 minutes late???

Well – this office has flexi, and the latest you can come in is 10. I got spoken to (rather than b*llocked) for coming in after 10 on several occasions…

Bunch of *rse. I could do my job at home with a net connectoin but that's not apparently good enough for employers…

samuri
    Free Member

it doesn;t work the other way round either. If i'm riding in I'll aim to arrive in the office and be cleaned up and working at the same time as if I'd have driven in. Normally I'm sat at my desk by 7:30 so that means I've got to get up at 5:30, have a quick shower and a coffee, set off at 6:00, arrive at the office for 7:00, sort my kit out, strip wash and change, sat at my desk with a cup of tea for 7:30.

But nobody ever notices, or cares.

MrOvershoot

molgrips – Member

The long distance commute thing is okay but it just takes so long

So I'll probly drive*. Could maybe cycle to the train but that takes ages too. If I drive I'll be home by four (instead of eight)

Kin hell 8 hours of riding a day + working 😮

That's if I'm reading it correctly?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm afraid I've fallen foul of this a few times too, and it became a habit, which is why my commuting by bike failed entirely. It's just so much warmer, comfier and more snug to go by car in 20 mins instead of by bike in 30 and then change etc (and, currently, suffer with a pulled back).

molgrips
    Free Member

No it's 2h20 ish each way of riding time, then there's often a faff to take clothing off, wipe shades etc and there's lots of traffic lights. But there's showering and changing to consider too. If I'd left at 7 I'd have been at my desk at just before 10, I'd work til 5 and get home at about quarter to eight. If I'd left at 7 in the car I'd have been here at eight, leave at three and be home by four. So 3.5-4 hours.

However, it costs about £23 in total to drive and £14 for the train (but that involves a half hour drive to the station and a 50 min train journey, and involves getting my poor Mrs up at 7am for a lift). Biking is free, and I get 5 hours of biking in for only 3.5 hours of extra time out of the day, which is alright.

There's no way to get to work here that's not frigging stressful. Thank F*CK it's my last day tomorrow 🙂

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

turn up late in you best lycra

MrOvershoot

I understand now, but that's a shed load of riding & I think it would become a real chore to the point where I hated the sight of the bike 😮

My commute is 1 hour each way and thats enough for me (when I do it 😳 )

toby1

… working a 7 minute walk away makes for a stress free life, housing will be allocated to people based on where they work when I rule the world.

samuri
    Free Member

jebus molgrips! That sounds horrific.

coffeeking
    Free Member

That is a LOT of biking. My hat off to you sir!

john_l
    Free Member

I'd just ride to the startion. Actually, I do just ride to the station – 1hr ride & 1hr on the train. Shower etc & at my desk just before 9am having left at 6.30am.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it would become a real chore to the point where I hated the sight of the bike

You thought right. It's not so much the volume of riding, it's been the fact that it's been a very stressful job (not in a pressure way but in a depression kind of way); the weather's been crap this month; either I've not been well or I overdid it (or maybe the stress) and I've been knackered; and it's a rush due to the time pressures. Plus I don't do that well with constant getting up early.

And I haven't lost an ounce of weight either despite not pigging out. I do have more muscle tho.

Btw I think it's only fair to say that I haven't done it every day. Some weeks 4 times, some 3 and some 2 🙂

MrOvershoot

I think most of us would be on our knees with that twice a week :/

Did you say you were leaving that job? As if not I think its time for a change as your almost on the point of "living to work" rather than "working to live"

molgrips
    Free Member

It wasn't living to work, it was riding to work. An efficient way of getting training in. Otherwise, I'd have to try and shoe-horn 10-15 hours of riding in some other way. At least with the long commutes I had the weekend completely free to spend with the Mrs.

Anyway it's all change now, I'm finishing tomorrow. Two weeks off then a new job in Aldershot… Will try and see if I can swing some working from home or soemthing.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Commuting fail (pointless sharing content)’ is closed to new replies.