Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commute to train station bmx or cheap mtb
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi guys,

From September i need to commute to Sheffield train station. It’s probably a 40 minute walk so i want a bike to ride to and from the station.

At the minute i am bikeless so i need to buy a full build.

Am i better off buying an ok bmx that i could sell after the year or a cheap useless mtb.?

Cheers

paddy0091
    Free Member

cheap old Raleigh or similar MTB, stick some tough slicks on and you’ll be sorted.

My ratbike has lasted 2years like that, plus it takes some hammer.

A BMX would be uncomfortable!

Northwind

Ancient mtb from out of a skip, sorted. Barely need to lock it up.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I really want to get back into riding so maybe i should look in the classifieds. If i can get an ok hardtail for around 4-500 at least i could ride it on the weekends too plus not worry about it at the train station.

paddy0091
    Free Member

so long as you’d be happy leaving it at the station all day.

I honestly do not care about leaving my ratbike anywhere, but the £5 lock holds it in place at least

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Get yerself something like this;

Lock through front wheel and frame, and there’s no way anyone’s going to knick it! (Rack is bolted on along with back wheel!)

Mudguards are ace for winter/wet weather. I have one as my daily commuter. It’s awesome! The brakes are not. 🙂

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Or buy a second-hand Brompton. If you look after it a bit you should be able to sell it at the end of the year and get most of your money back.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

For the life of me I can’t fathom why anyone would want to ride a BMX for anything else than, well, BMX. Saddle too low for correct leg extension.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah i think it’s more of a i could get a better one and sell it next year. Im at uni in York but if i could get a cheap mtb I’d go out in the evening etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commute to train station bmx or cheap mtb’ is closed to new replies.