Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Commencal meta am v4, any good?
  • blairc70
    Free Member

My hope headset pressed straight in no problem, just fitted the new all black ks lev intergra with 150mm drop, no problem with that either (in a medium frame)

samcamsdad

Cane creak headset pushed in no problem. No prep needed.
    To be honest, it built up quite nice. It takes a little time to thread the cables through the frame and bleed the rear brake, but its fairly easy to do.
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, heli tape and mastic tape is well worth it to protect the frame.
    The chainstay protector was a bit of a pain to put on,but there’s a video on the commencal website to show how its done.
    Just waiting for the right dropper post to arrive, so ill stick with the old thompson elite for now.

benmarshall
    Free Member

Thanks for info folks!

I got prepared to start building tonight but have hit issues already!

The kirk shock they sent has the shaft mount in the wrong orientation, vertical not horizontal! So that’s not going to fit. I also noticed they haven’t sent any mounting hardware, bushings etc!

This is on top of noticing on Friday after delivery that there was damage to the carbon cranks from transport, and they hadn’t put the chain guide in the box!

I’ve contacted them regarding this but haven’t received any contact since a single email reply on Friday afternoon. Have now followed up with details about the shock.

So far not massively impressed which is a shame because the frame looks beautiful!

Has any one else had similar issues with Commencal?

Bike above is looking sweet, jealous!

samcamsdad

Yeah there not quick in getting back to you. I’ve been sent the wrong seat post, emailed last Wednesday and Thursday, and heard nothing back.
    Try letting all the air out of the shock and you can spin the shock shaft to where you need it. Worked for me on my monarch.

benmarshall
    Free Member

OK, i’ll give that a go, did you get all the mounting hardware with the shock?

samcamsdad

Yeah it was already fited, ready to bolt in.

benmarshall
    Free Member

😳

So letting the air out means I can rotate the shaft fine…

Also I actually looked at the mounts closer and there is a reducer bushing in there which is the same width as the housing. Upon measurement the mounts seem to be the exact size specified, whoops. I guess I was just expecting wider, obvious bushings to be required, seems this isn’t the case! It is going to make things looks very tidy when mounted!

samcamsdad

Must admit, it took me a while to figure it out!!

benmarshall
    Free Member

Did the rear shock mount slide into the pivot ok for you? Seems awful tight?

samcamsdad

It was very tight, it does go, but had to force the link a little to get it to slide in.

benmarshall
    Free Member

Excellent, what torque did you crank that one up too? I can’t seem to find a torque value written anywhere?

samcamsdad

Torque? Erm just nipped it up a bit!!

Scamper
    Free Member

Just email commencal – that’s what I didfor my v3.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Got a MM tune monarch plus on my meta V4 frame and running it with 30-35% sag. Commencal said ML tune is best so I might get mine retuned next service as it feels a bit firm especially on small stuff. I notice a few other people on this thread have the same shock. Do you know what tune it is please?

hora
    Free Member

Really need to throw my leg over a V4 before ordering.

I’ve got a medium Santa Cruz Butcher (55mm stem) that I like sizewise with a 22.5 TT and 17inch ST. The medium V4 is 1 inch longer on the top tube and similar seat tube length.

Its about 2inches shorter on wheelbase compared to the medium V4 too.

…but the seat tube on the V4 is steeper…

I’m 6ft1 and like smaller bikes but not crazy small..

butterbean
    Free Member

I’m 6ft1 and like smaller bikes but not crazy small..

Questionable.

You’re riding a bike that’s tiny already. Somewhere between a small & medium of most normal brands, when by sheer numbers alone, you should be on the L/XL threshold.

No wonder you come up with some of the gems you do on here.

Try riding a bike that actually fits you. Ride a large, at least.

By you’re own admission on here you’re no Steve Peat, so no need to trot out the line of liking a more chuckable bike. Unless by that you mean you can chuck it in the boot of the car more easily if its smaller.

blairc70
    Free Member

I,m 5’11” with a 32 inside leg, running the medium with 50mm stem and 785 bars. Feels about right but wouldn’t want to go any shorter in top tube.

hora
    Free Member

Im no Steve Peat. Thats true but like anyone I can tell the difference in preference/feel immediately.

Never felt cramped or struggled on medium SC’s. Long toptubes with long seat tubes feel horrible for me. The worse was a 24TT Ellsworth.

^ Ive got 2inches height on you and 1inch instep.

blairc70
    Free Member

You might prefer the medium then? Will be around most of this weekend if you want to try mine, I’m the Bradford side of Leeds.

hora
    Free Member

Bradfordside? I’ll cancel my tax/insurance before setting off 8)

blairc70
    Free Member

I’m sure you could find a safe / picturesque / long route in the car? drop Mrs Hora in Leeds for a bit of shopping? Or why not ride over? get your bike stolen / taken off you by a gang of hoodies and claim on your insurance for a swanky new ride! Win Win.

pitchman
    Free Member

Anyone got one of these in staffordshire I could sit on.rang around and no one has one in stock. I’m 5’10” and bang on between medium and large. Both shops said to go for the large.its alot of money to buy without sitting on one.
    Thanks for any advice

blairc70
    Free Member

There is a commencal owners club on Facebook, might be worth trying them? Think either medium or large would fit you but would really be best to sit on one to see which suits best, I had a medium V3 so just got the same size again.

samcamsdad

I’ve got mine set up, and I’ll be out tomorow afternoon for a ride so I can report back on size better then. But it feels spot on up and down the road. ( medium frame, 5’9″ rider).

samcamsdad

So, first ride today,a quick spin around Kentmere.
    Size feels spot on, but i’m coming from a 15″ orange blood, that was very small, so if your taller than 5’9″ i’d be looking at the large frame.
    It’s my first time on 27.5 wheels, and to be honest i found them hard to get going, but once they’re up to speed it was fine.
    Now I’m not fit at the moment, so climbing was a grind, hopefully not the bike, but just me!
    Descending was solid and planted, grip in corners was excellent, but I need to work on the shocks a bit, the rear especially feeling a little dead.
    Overall, I’m happy, but it needs some tweaking to get the best out of it.

benmarshall
    Free Member

Finished building mine up on Friday and got two rides in at the weekend! Lovely bike, fast, light fun!

Still need to play with the shock some, so many adjustments to get dialled in but considering how good it feels already I’m stoked!

Thanks to the folk who helped last week 8)

Gallery

renton
    Free Member

looks smart that.

hora
    Free Member

What isthe V4? A 4bar or a linkage driven single?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still a single pivot.

blairc70
    Free Member

Here’s mine in the kitchen, don’t tell the wife!

IMAG0209

julians
    Free Member

Still a single pivot.

are you sure? looks like a horst link in the photos? There appears to be a pivot just above the rear axle.

hora
    Free Member

Thats what I thought initially?!!

samcamsdad

I think single pivot with a linkage is a fair description.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Pivot is on the chainstay for an FSR/Horst Link.

The pivot on this is on the seatstay.

julians
    Free Member

The pivot on this is on the seatstay.

So it is, I was looking at pictures of the black bike, and it was hard to tell whether the pivot was on the chainstay or the seat stay, its clear on the yellow bike, its on the seat stay.

Linkage driven single pivot it is then.

Going off topic now, but what is treks ABP system? linkage driven single pivot or horst link or both/

AlexSimon

Going off topic now, but what is treks ABP system? linkage driven single pivot or horst link or both/

Hub-based pivot locations are closer to a Horst ime.

In fact, I’m surprised anyone is bothering with them now that the Horst is freely available.

I suppose if you pay Mr Weagle, you get more than the ability to use his split pivot, you get his suspension geometry expertise too.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Neither, it’s basically a split pivot but with a floating shock.

joe99
    Free Member

Hi guys, looking to order the Meta next week and not sure which model to go for, Pikes or Revalations? Any opinions?
    Cheers
    Joe

samcamsdad

Pikes for sure. Just brilliant!

Is it just me that thinks these bikes have ram-raided a 1980’s sticker shop?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Commencal meta am v4, any good?’ is closed to new replies.