Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • comfy long distance bike idea's…..for a big un.
  • ton

it seems the gods are not in my favour, and my hopes of getting my ticker mended, and getting offroad again, are not going to be fulfilled.

so, back up plan comes into action.
    idea’s for a,
    A, comfy
    B, mudguarded
    C, light luggagable
    D, lightweight
    E, ok for a big un bike that is good for long slow hours in the saddle.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tout-Terrain. Get some tourer pron betwixt your legs!

Sorry to hear it’s not working out for you, old chap.

ton

cheers Flash, I think I knew deep down…..glass just over half full tho…. 8)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gutted to hear that Tony…

Fargo? Vaya? Long Haul Trucker?
    Guess all these would fit the bill?

ton

got a truck……I should have been more specific.

a light steel or ti audax type thing.

wors

Every cloud and all that 🙂 touring bikes are ace!

Treat yourself, go titanium!

I’m half tempted to sell my 5 and get a tripster ATR

Suggsey
    Free Member

Moda Ti Nocturne nice compliant ride go as fast or as slow as you need/ want. Or if you want more upright MTB style, a Ti MTB either in 29 or 26 or inbetweenie. And a twenty quid HRM from decathlon…..

Edric64
    Free Member

Probably not Ti arent they a bit whippy in big sizes ?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Aw – Ton, fella. Life’s full of twists and turns. It’s good you’re looking at seeing what’s round the next corner (and that you’ll be on a bike to find it). Doesn’t matter what it is or what it’s meant for, the fact it’s got wheels and you pedal it or whatever is all that counts.

Tripsters size up quite large, I think. I’m 5′ 11″ on a 54. I know your feet are the same size as mine (those walking boots are still going strong, thanks!) I can ride mine for bloody hours, when I feel like it. Stick a short stem on and it’ll muller ABCD&E on your list. A little spendy, but well worth it and you know you’ll enjoy it. It’s a proper looker too. Discs (the only way), some 28 or 32 tyres – happy days exploring the lanes. Forget the pics of it in CX guise on their site. Put some SKS Chromos on it and travel in comfort…

May the wind be at your tail 🙂

Fast EDIT: Just seen all the Ti posts since I started typing. The Tripster ATR is stiff enough, but comfy. So well thought out – so fast (I have a couple of uphill KOMs on mine and I’m not quick at all…) but really enjoyable for hours on end with a carbon post. Even without it’s just downright ‘nice’ to ride. Did well over a century with panniers last summer and I could still talk/walk at the end of it and ride another chunk the next day.

EDIT #2: Reckon mine will be 17lbs when I shed the mudguards, put the new Kinesis hoops that are hung up in the garage on and some 25mm Pro4 tyres for summer. It’s hardly portly now in full winter coat. Oh – go for TRP Spyres. Supremely good brakes and a piece of the proverbial to set up, run silently and just work like brakes should. You pull the lever and stop. You pull harder and stop sooner.

MrOvershoot

Very sorry to hear that Tony, hats off to you for not giving up on the riding though.
    My wife thinks your ace she gets annoyed at those that can but don’t MS has taken the can from her 🙁
    yet your still kicking the doors trying 🙂

Hewitt Cheviot Touring

garage-dweller

Spa Cycles do a touring bike and an audax bike in steel and ti.

Got good ctc reviews

For flat bars Rose I think make some quite social stuff as do other German companies but may need to get from Germany. Pretty sure ctc reviewed a nice rose bikes flat Barr trekking bike ans were very kind.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ti tourer or if you can manage some unsurfaced routes how about a Ti CX bike. Didn’t know if head down position that you get from road bike would be uncomfortable for you or aggravate your condition. Having tried an alu sportive styled road bike before and now having my Moda Ti , I really hanker after swapping my steel MTB to the Ti version for more compliance and to save my back. Ti even for big boys will still be plenty strong enough.
    How about a made to measure Burls Ti jobbie or similar?

ton
    ton

been down that route Colin…..didn’t feel any love for it.
    I would rather go slow and suffer under my own steam.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

If you want overbuilt, flatbars and heaaaoooowge look no further than a thorn raven. Very good at what it is, which is a very heavy supertough flat bar touring bike.

scotroutes

Cool. I had a ride of one last week. It’s all a bit strange right enough but it certainly made going uphill a damn sight easier!!

I love the VN Pioneer idea though!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ditch the panier holders if you don’t need them and that looks like a nice maintenance free bike for life ton!
    Honestly try a test ride on a Ti bike you will live the comfort, light weight and lack of rust!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

New Kaffenback looks ace. I had an old one and wished that I kept it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sorry to hear the op is a no go big fella.

I’m enjoying building up my Vaya, but it must have the tallest head tube in history. I think it’ll be a lot like your flat bar Trucker.

TiRed

Carbon is where Audax bikes are going. So I’m going to suggest a Pearson Carbon Audax bike. If you are going to be sat on something for a long time, no reason why it shouldn’t be nice and light. There are other carbon bikes about, but the Pearson is rates very highly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘comfy long distance bike idea's…..for a big un.’ is closed to new replies.