Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Colin's going to Europe – question for Toyota Corolla owners
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

Colin the Corolla is taking a trip to Europe in a couple of weeks. I need to work out how to adjust the lights for driving on the right/wrong side of the road. The manual gives no clue.

I know that you can black out certain sections to sort out this, but how do I find out which bits? Is it even possible, I know that it's not with some modern headlights (car is a 54 plate)?

uplink
    Free Member

A lot of folks [me include] simply don't bother but if you're a bit paranoid of the gendarmes looking to collar every Brit they can, just stick a little bit of tape somewhere on the lights – in the middle, to the outside

I've crossed the channel 15 times so far this year without anyone bothering me at all about it

ebygomm
    Free Member

I'll be in Denmark so lights will be on 100% of the time and i'd prefer not to be blinding anyone

nickc

Haynes manuals used to have this sort of info. Most of the aftermarket kits have the cut-outs and diagrams for each specific model of car.

Edit: Colin? the Corolla…

ebygomm
    Free Member

Yes, Colin the Corolla. Cars behave better if you give them names 🙂 although the other half says with that name he sounds like a drag queen

nickc

hmmmmm, a friend of mine swore that her old fiesta had erogenous zones, when it wouldn't start she'd (ahem) fondle…the handbrake (which was, I'll admit, pretty damned distracting) and low and behold, it'd start…

😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

As nickc says, the diagrams come with the kits. I'm glad you're using them, only middle lane hoggers are more frustrating than people with badly adjusted headlights (or headlights designed for another country with the bright spot left clear).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Only women give their cars names.

Oh yellow vest required if you're driving in france also.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Only women give their cars names

Well, good job I'm a women then otherwise I might be a man confused about his sexual identity 🙂

My bike has a name too, she is called Esmerelda

donsimon
    Free Member

A lot of folks [me include] simply don't bother

Please ignore this bit of useful advice. It's a royal pain in the arse for those of us who drive on the wrong side and get dazzled by Brits who know better!

I imagine the AA or RAC would be useful for this type of info. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

My car has a name, and I'm definitely a man. It has a name so I have a personal direction in which to throw insults 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Hmm, getting Colin spruced up for his trip abroad and so got some new wiper blades. Was double checking they were the correct ones as they're different lengths to what's on the car (which I think were the manufacturer fitted ones) and noticed the drivers side is meant to have a spoiler. Is it going to make a big difference if I fit the one without the spoiler?

Elmo
    Free Member

The spoiler just decreases any judder at speed………….thats not going to bother a corolla!

When your in your car you'll notice the lights kick up to the left (obviously this is the bit your trying to mask) into the foreigners eyes!
    As you look at the headlight bulb imagine a + right in the midddle of the bulb.
    Its the top right hand quarter you want to obscure.Black electrical tape about 30mm by 12mm should do the trick.
    Got me through so far.
    Or you could buy a kit for a tenner it may look slightly better, but it will tell you the same!
    As for driving you'll need Hi-viz vests for every passenger. A warning triangle(2 in Spain), first aid kit, tow Rope, spare fuses and bulbs oh and your supposed to have jump leads i was told!

ebygomm
    Free Member

As for driving you'll need Hi-viz vests for every passenger. A warning triangle(2 in Spain), first aid kit, tow Rope, spare fuses and bulbs oh and your supposed to have jump leads i was told!

Only going to be in Denmark so think only the warning triangle bit applies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Colin's going to Europe – question for Toyota Corolla owners’ is closed to new replies.